June 25, 2008

Groups Take Aim At Florida Gun Law

Florida’s "guns at work" law is set to take effect July 1 unless a suit by the Florida Chamber of Commerce and the Florida Retail Federation stops the legislation, which allows Floridians to keep a gun in their locked cars on work premises if they have a concealed weapons permit.

The groups filed suit in federal court in Tallahassee, seeking to block the legislation.

The Florida chamber's stance is "a business owner should be able to decide if employees can or cannot bring guns on their property," according to the group's Web site.

Florida Gun Laws

According to numbers from the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services and estimates from the NRA, 490,760 current permit holders legally could keep their guns at work, of an estimated 6 million gun owners in Florida.

The retail federation represents 11,000 businesses in Florida, and the chamber represents 139,000 businesses. In their federal lawsuit, the organizations said the law violates the Fifth and 14th Amendments and is in direct conflict with the Occupational Safety and Health Act.

The plaintiffs contend the Florida law essentially infringes on private property rights and the rights of businesses to establish safety policies, and there is no compensation for that infringement.

www.newsherald.com

Arizona also has "silly" exceptions in its concealed carry law, the merchant posting a "no firearms" sign being my pet peeve. The sign is simply a signal to the would-be assailant to enter and create havoc. I boycott businesses which post the sign, and encourage all my friends to boycott them too. I wish FL CCW holders luck with their new law.

Posted by: AZgunnut | July 3, 2008 7:50 AM    Report this comment

Michigan has a lot of silly exceptions, and they also allow businesses to post their place of business as off limits to self defense. MCRGO (www.mcrgo.org) does a great job with their email newsletter, which includes a list of those businesses which which encourage crime. I'm sure the retail federation and the chamber have many businesses who don't agree with their organization's action. It seems to me that Florida is ripe for that type of disclosure.

Posted by: Paul S | June 28, 2008 1:40 PM    Report this comment

I know for a fact that my moral judgement and ability to correctly and accurately handle a firearm does not diminish as I travel from one location to another during my work day as a salesperson. We in Michigan and many other states have made good headway with the right to carry laws, but need to remove still many of the silly exceptions. It seems to me as we leave some of these silly exceptions (school, daycare centers etc.) where the law abiding citizen can not carry a firearm, we really only create a target location for the person who cares not at all about the law or well being for those in that location.

Posted by: Kahauna | June 26, 2008 11:13 PM    Report this comment

If you have to drive through a "High crime Hood"to get to work, and your way back home after work, where should you keep it when you arrive at the work?

Posted by: anthony p | June 26, 2008 3:30 PM    Report this comment

Many people carry concealed because of their work commute and where they work.

I am able to carry concealed to and from work and put my gun(s) in my locker at work. A shame that we can't get more employers that care enough about their employees to be able to do the same.

Posted by: RICHARD H | June 26, 2008 1:46 PM    Report this comment

Once again, if you have a permit to carry a gun you should be able to carry it anywhere with just a few exceptions (courthouse, etc.) Where is the reasoning that you can tell a person I trust you with a gun here, but not over there. I carry in Michigan and they have all kinds of silly exceptions: schools, daycare centers, hospital, church. Its ridiculous that the state of Michigan trusts me to defend my life in a Best Buy but not in a church. To get this carry law to pass the liberals had to throw in all these exceptions, feel good legislation. You should be able to carry everywhere with very few exceptions (courthouse).

Posted by: Robert J | June 26, 2008 7:07 AM    Report this comment