May 6, 2008

Interior Department would allow concealed guns in national parks

The Department of the Interior has proposed a rule change that would allow people to carry a concealed firearm in a national park or wildlife refuge.

The new rule says park visitors would need a permit to carry a concealed weapon, and the state where the park is located must allow guns in its own parks.

Current regulations require weapons to be temporarily inoperable or stowed so they are not easily accessible.

Secretary of the Interior Dirk Kempthorne announced the proposed change. The announcement begins a 60-day public comment period. Written comments will be accepted through June 30, 2008.

In releasing the proposal, Interior Department officials wrote: “Existing federal regulations governing firearms in national parks and national wildlife refuges, promulgated before many of these state laws were in effect, properly limit poaching and target practice, but unnecessarily disable or limit the ability of law-abiding citizens to possess, carry, and transport a concealed firearm.

“Under the proposed amendment, visitors must have authority to possess loaded and concealed firearms on analogous state lands before they will be allowed to carry firearms in federal park areas and refuges.”

“Law-abiding citizens should not be prohibited from protecting themselves and their families while enjoying America’s national parks and wildlife refuges,” said Chris Cox, the NRA’s chief lobbyist.

I had rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6,or eaten by some 4 legged whatever!

Posted by: rayfrankm | May 9, 2008 12:27 PM    Report this comment

If you are not permitted to possess a firearm in a State park/forest under your State law, you can't carry under Federal law either. No help in NC.

Posted by: DDMack | May 7, 2008 7:42 PM    Report this comment

Let me rephrase that. The right to keep and bear arms was intended to be inviolate in both the English Common Law and our Constitution. Also, animals are the least of my concern in National Parks. I'm more concerned with two-legged predators. the parks police are out gunned and understaffed. I'd like to think I could do more than stand by while my family was slaughtered.

Posted by: sivispace | May 7, 2008 7:33 PM    Report this comment

I'm 100% for the second amendment. If you have a conceled permit, you should be able to carry it. A person with this freedom should unstand what it means to him and others. It is said a Preacher carried his pistol to chruch on Sunday and layed it beside his bible when preched. I have talked to him years ago, but never ask him about it. To me you must respect your weapon and others when carring it.

Posted by: HARRY M | May 7, 2008 7:17 PM    Report this comment

I have always thought this idea of being armed in an area where firearms are prohibited - for your personal safety (against bears or mountain lions) - was a calculated risk. I personally feel that I would rather be prosecuted for breaking the law, but be ALIVE in surviving an attack, rather than dead but legal. Just my thoughts.

Posted by: LARRY W | May 7, 2008 6:37 PM    Report this comment

Actually, it knows quite a few boundaries. But I won't disagree with your second sentence.

Posted by: THOMAS Q | May 7, 2008 6:31 PM    Report this comment

The historic Right to self-defense and the Constitutional Right to Keep and Bear Arms know no boundaries. Every time a restrictive firearms law is repealed, we the people become more free and our Republic becomes more secure from tyrany, crime and terrorism.

Posted by: sivispace | May 7, 2008 6:27 PM    Report this comment

No need to debate the logic behind the decision to restrict firearms in National Parks (what would be the point?), only rejoice in the fact that shortly we should be able to do so.
This is a FEDERAL decision and the permissions you've referred to are within STATE purview.

Posted by: THOMAS Q | May 7, 2008 6:25 PM    Report this comment

I don't understand! If I undergo an investigation and the state has determined that I am not insane, have never been convicted of any crimes and they issue me a permit to carry a concealed weapon, why am I restricted to certain areas? Are they saying that they feel I will use good judgment when carrying a gun everywhere except in a church, public park. or restaurant that serves alcohol ??????

Posted by: donba27 | May 7, 2008 6:16 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: donba27 | May 7, 2008 6:15 PM    Report this comment

Sorry for the double post. Also the typo "ny" was meant to say "my".

Posted by: THOMAS Q | May 7, 2008 6:07 PM    Report this comment

We need to get this National Parks carry law into effect post haste. Have had the same problem being allowed to carry in parks also. Bubbles

Posted by: bubbles | May 7, 2008 6:02 PM    Report this comment

Perhaps, though considering the fact that the Democratic leadership has recruited conservative, gun rights supporting candidates in order to achieve their congressional majority it may be that this would not be challenged, even with a Democrat President. Not that I'm suggesting we all go vote for Obama or anything...

Posted by: THOMAS Q | May 7, 2008 5:46 PM    Report this comment

I'm afraid the Democrats will have a fit over this proposal! They will fight it tooth and nail for sure.

Posted by: old tex | May 7, 2008 5:33 PM    Report this comment

A State Issued CCL (permit) or purchase an 'special' one from the park?

Posted by: MARK W | May 7, 2008 4:48 PM    Report this comment

Thanks! I'm going there now.

Posted by: THOMAS Q | May 7, 2008 4:37 PM    Report this comment

The NRA website has the information to make comments as does the NSSF website.

Posted by: Wood Butcher | May 7, 2008 4:34 PM    Report this comment

I wonder how we as individuals can contribute to the "public comment"?
I mean the NRA will certainly weigh in but I'd send an email if I knew where.

Posted by: THOMAS Q | May 7, 2008 4:26 PM    Report this comment

Wow, if approved this means I can now visit areas of the states where - due to personal safety concerns - I was previously not permitted to go.

Remember: the first four letters of wilderness spell "wild".

Posted by: THOMAS Q | May 7, 2008 4:16 PM    Report this comment