September 14, 2009

New Kahr PM9 Models Have Loaded Chamber Indicator and External Safety

PEARL RIVER, NY –- Kahr Arms new PM9193 and PM9193N models include a loaded-chamber indicator and external safety feature.

The PM9193 is designed with a lever mounted on the top of slide. The lever is marked as Indicator in red lettering. When a shell casing is chambered the casing pushes the lever upward and out of position. The operator will visually see the lever as it is raised up.

The PM9193N model has, in addition to the internal safety, an external safety that will prevent the firearm from firing when the safety is in safe position. The product has an external lever with two settings. When the lever is pushed up the red dot is visible; the firearm is in the armed position and ready to fire with the pull of the trigger. When the lever is pushed down, the red dot is hidden and the firearm is in safe position and will not function with the pull of the trigger.

Kahr PM9

MSRP for the PM9193 is $924. The PM9193N has an MSRP of $1049.

An Important Note for GunReports.Com Readers:

Our goal on this website is to foster a free expression of views while reining in language that crosses the line of civil discourse. Accordingly, the comments areas are intended to expand the knowledge of all users of this site. But site administrators wish to discourage the use of profanity, insults, disrespect, the advocacy of lawlessness, violence or sedition, or attempts to impinge on the rights of others.

Kahr PM9

While GunReports.Com encourages robust discourse that furthers our understanding of all the issues affecting gun owners, comments that break GunReports.Com’s rules will be removed. In addition, we reserve the right to edit or delete individual comments, and in extreme cases, to ban commenters at our discretion.

--Tim Cole
Publisher, GunReports.Com

Geez, for that price I'd rather buy the H&K P2000SK. For the meantime, I will stick with my trusty Kel-Tec PF-9 at a quarter of the cost and above all...no backwards operated thumb safeties. What was Mr. Kahr thinking?

Posted by: MYLES S | September 18, 2009 5:35 AM    Report this comment

JiminTenn, I've seen NDs in my career, too, & thus respect your opinion and your candor, but I must disagree with a safety being sometimes on. During conflict (or that 03:00 rude awakening) one is functioning on muscle memory. If you're practiced at draw-and-fire with no safety, chances are you won't turn it off when you pull it from it's nightstand/safe/glovebox. I suggest to people so concerned to store it IN A HOLSTER to protect the trigger. Doing so also protects the finish of the piece, prevents mag-release from getting hit, debris getting into places it shouldn't, etc. Otherwise, if safety is a bigger concern, I suggest folks store their pistol mag out, empty chamber. Feel what you feel, and say what you will, Sir, and if it works for you, that's great. I'll store my in-holster or empty-chamber ... oh, and I WON'T be joining the nanny.gov gunsafe movement either. ;)

Posted by: CeltKnight | September 17, 2009 3:11 PM    Report this comment

No, Robert, I didn't buy the Kahr. I decided to buy ammunition and practice more with my Glock 36 and Kel-Tec P3AT.

JiminTenn, you are unfortunately correct about the cost of lawsuits on gun prices. Still, my point wasn't that mechanical safeties are bad, my point was that training is better. It's the training that reduces accidents and lawsuits, not the levers, switches, knobs, and buttons on the machines. It is reliance upon all of the devices intended to disable the gun, instead of reliance upon well-trained gun handling skills that produce the most negligent discharges. And, if you'll forgive my mentioning this, cops are some of the worst offenders, usually the result of familiarity breeding complacency. Some of the worst gunhandling I've ever seen was demonstrated at our range during the Sheriff's Dept. annual qualification shoot. Oi!

Posted by: Lee W | September 17, 2009 3:01 PM    Report this comment

Or, how about using the safety between your ears, and keepting your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot? There is no such thing as an accidental discharge, JIM, just negligent discharges. If you follow the 4 rules of gunhandling at all times, there would never be a negligent discharge.

Posted by: KCSHOOTER | September 17, 2009 3:00 PM    Report this comment

Great! Another gun so safe it's rendered useless in a fight! I don't feel the need for an addition safty beyond not pulling the double action trigger. I hope I can still get one of the old "dangerous guns" otherwise I won't be buying a Kahr!

Posted by: lcpor9mm | September 17, 2009 2:59 PM    Report this comment

Ah, and I see in their "wisdom" Kahr has forgotten those of us who shoot with "the other hand" when they designed their admittedly backwards safety. I guess there aren't that many lefties on the left coast? Ah, well, I'll stick to my plain old PM40, thank you.

Posted by: CeltKnight | September 17, 2009 2:18 PM    Report this comment

It is amazing how the first comments posted here are so negative about both a loaded chamber indicator. They are worried about the added cost for the parts, but they ignore the added cost for defending lawsuits (BOTH affect the final cost of a firearm). Adding these features can make them saleable in more states; failing to do so may mean some state residents cannot buy them at all. Both as a police detective sergeant and later selling guns in a retail store, I saw lots of accidental discharges, every one of which increases anti-gun pressures. A thumb safety, for example, could help (if used) prevent accidental shootings during stoeage, such as pushing Glocks into crowded glove compartments or drawing Glocks in fear from nightstand drawers. Junk in the glove box pushed (not pulled) the trigger and reaching into a drawer in the dark found a trigger. Perhaps those who are most angry about thumb safeties should instead join the supporters of gun safes required instead. When my auto is in my holster, the safety is OFF, but when it is stored in a nearby drawer overnight, the safety lever is ON. You can understand and separate carry versus storage; doing so means the gun is ready for instant use when carried, but stands down a notch in STORAGE, which is the ONLY time my safety is on.

Posted by: JiminTenn | September 17, 2009 2:14 PM    Report this comment

I think to conform to California standards.

Posted by: Robert J | September 17, 2009 1:00 PM    Report this comment

This WAS the perfect pocket pistol. Why did they do this??? Loaded chamber "indicators", in my opinion , are an accident waiting to happen. The only safe way to confirm an unloaded firearm is to open the action, likewise to confirm "ready" as an emergency tool. I understand the argument for a full size police pistol to have a "propietary" safety but not a deep concealment pistol with a double action trigger (I pray that S&W doesn't follow suit and screw up the Centenial). Also, did they have to make it function opposite the 1911 safety? Why don't they complete this silliness and install a magazine disconect and really confuse lesser trained individuals.

Posted by: MLB | September 17, 2009 12:09 PM    Report this comment

Gaviota, it's the liberal's job to twart Darwinism. Did you ever buy that PM9?

Posted by: Robert J | September 17, 2009 10:09 AM    Report this comment

I learned many years ago in the Navy's Nuclear Propulsion Program that there is no such thing as a reliable safety device, interlock, alarm, or indicator. That's why the Navy spends so much time and money on training competent reactor plant operators.

If the gun industry promoted competent training for gun owners and left off the expensive and superfluous bells and whistles that lawyers and gun-banners love, I strongly believe that we'd have fewer accidents than we do now. On the other hand, if more gun owners would seek and complete such training, we'd have fewer accidents, and idiots in Maryland and Californica would have no grounds for their "approve handguns" lists.

Posted by: Lee W | September 14, 2009 5:05 PM    Report this comment