September 21, 2009

California Firearms Retailers Urge Veto of 3 Anti-Gun Bills

NEWTOWN, Conn. -- The California Association of Firearms Retailers (CAFR) and the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) -- the trade association for the firearms and ammunition industry -- are urging Gov. Schwarzenegger to veto three anti-gun bills in the state.

The governor will have until October 11 to veto the bills: ammunition registration (AB 962), regulations that duplicate existing requirements under federal law governing the sale of firearms (SB 41), and prohibitions on the lawful sale of firearms and ammunition at the Cow Palace exhibition center (SB 585).

"The three anti-gun bills currently on the governor's desk will do nothing to curb crime and only serve to hurt small, independent businesses that are already struggling in a poor economy," said NSSF Senior Vice President and General Counsel Lawrence G. Keane.

AB 962 would require that firearms dealers and other vendors of ammunition keep a registry of all buyers of handgun ammunition. The bill would also ban all mail order and Internet sales of handgun ammunition and reloading components.

SB 41 would further burden firearms retailers by requiring additional paperwork and documentation on the date of delivery of all firearms to a buyer.

The bill also requires dealers to sign and to obtain the signature of the buyer or other transferee of a handgun on the Department of Justice Dealers Record of Sale (DROS) form indicating that the handgun has been delivered and the date upon which the delivery was made. It would further require dealers to date and sign a form stating that the buyer of a rifle or shotgun had taken possession of the gun.

SB 585 would prohibit the lawful sale of firearms and ammunition at the Cow Palace exhibition facility near San Francisco, located in Agricultural District 1-A, and would make a violation of that prohibition a crime. Its purpose is to ban gun shows at the Cow Palace and to set a precedent for the banning of all gun shows at other state-owned facilities where many sportsmen buy firearms and ammunition.

In California all firearms bought and sold at gun shows must be transferred through a federally licensed firearms retailer who is required under federal and state law to run a background check on the prospective buyer.

An Important Note for GunReports.Com Readers:

Our goal on this website is to foster a free expression of views while reining in language that crosses the line of civil discourse. Accordingly, the comments areas are intended to expand the knowledge of all users of this site. But site administrators wish to discourage the use of profanity, insults, disrespect, the advocacy of lawlessness, violence or sedition, or attempts to impinge on the rights of others.

While GunReports.Com encourages robust discourse that furthers our understanding of all the issues affecting gun owners, comments that break GunReports.Com’s rules will be removed. In addition, we reserve the right to edit or delete individual comments, and in extreme cases, to ban commenters at our discretion.

--Tim Cole
Publisher, GunReports.Com

Gaviota: Yo comprendo. Gracias. Serves me right for not paying more attention in Spanish class. I've driven 101 through Santa Barbara, so I must have been close to Gaviota. It is beautiful country. Vaya con Dios!

Posted by: mookien | September 25, 2009 12:23 AM    Report this comment

These morons in commifornia just won't learn, they keep passin stupid laws thar cause the good hard workin, law abidin people to move out of the state, businesses and tax payers are moving out because of higher taxes and they will pass a totally moronic law to stop internet or catalog sales that we pay calif taxes on, so guess what they get no taxes from that, they make more paper work so business move out and they lose that tax, then the good hard working people move out, and guess what, they lose alot more taxes. I just wander how long before all that the moron polatitions realise all the got left is the welfare, nanny state people and criminals left in the state and no law inforcement personel to stop them cause they moved out too. I wish I could find a good place a Disabled Vietnam Vet could buy on a disabled fixed income the hell out of they moronic stuped state. Hopfully Cabelas, Cheaper Than Dirt and others will get a class action law suit going for violation of interstate commerce violations, for one.

Posted by: bear1 | September 24, 2009 11:05 PM    Report this comment

ajwrangler, your sentiments apply not only to the USA, but all of Europe. The people who obsessively seek power don't care if they destroy the civilizations they mean to govern, they mean to govern whatever's left. Power corrupts, and all that...

Posted by: Lee W | September 24, 2009 9:31 PM    Report this comment

Mookien - "Gaviota" is Spanish for seagull, which pretty much described my lifestyle for my first 40 years. It's also the name of a little jewel of a town on the California coast where I vacationed as a kid.

I used to have Gaviota as my nom de plume here until I had to reformat my hard drive, and when I logged back in, the website wouldn't recognize me, and I had to open a new account. Or something like that.

Posted by: Lee W | September 24, 2009 8:25 PM    Report this comment

No, they get it. It's all about power, the liberals want to put the AMERICAN spirit and our constitution on the endangered species list! Poor men want to be rich, rich men want to be king and kings are never satisfied until they rule everything!

Posted by: David H | September 24, 2009 4:09 PM    Report this comment

Richard E (aka Lil Dickie): Mookien is my nom de plume. I tried to get Mookie, but it was unavailable. I didn't know if Mookie1, Mookie2, etc. were taken, so rather than keep guessing, I just chose Mookien. I don't have a sign off, but "Gaviota" may be one for Lee W. I am just curious. I enjoy his comments and like his writing style.

Posted by: mookien | September 24, 2009 3:43 PM    Report this comment

Mookien, really, and you're asking about Gaviota??? .....Lil Dickie[go figure].

Posted by: Dick | September 24, 2009 1:32 PM    Report this comment

"Gaviota": Is that your nom de plume or a cryptic sign off? Or, is the answer an exercise for the reader? Do you prefer replies addressed to Gaviota or Lee W?

Posted by: mookien | September 24, 2009 12:37 PM    Report this comment

They still don't get it. If you're a gun retailer they heap silly laws on you until you quit, and if you're a farmer, they cut off your water to save some miserable little anchovy on the dead-end of a tiny vestigial twiglet of the evolutionary tree.

According to the CA Legislature, no restriction is to petty, too insignificant, or too redundant to send to the Governor. No burden is too ridiculous or specious to put on anyone in the firearms trade, seller or buyer alike.

Until the next riot, or earthquake, or other natural or man-made disaster. Then the yuppies run to the gun store and are shocked and appalled to find that their Legislators believe that they cannot be trusted, and they'll have to wait a minimum of two weeks to take possession of the gun that they are suddenly aware that they need NOW.

Of course, like the vast majority of people who occasionally stumble over the truth, as soon as the crisis passes they pick themselves up and hurry away, pretending that nothing happened. So Californica never gets better, richer, or more free.

I was born and raised there, lived there nearly half my life, and I'll never go back.

Posted by: Lee W | September 21, 2009 5:45 PM    Report this comment