May 19, 2009

Colorado Gov. Ritter Vetoes Bill Easing Carry Regulations

DENVER (May 19, 2009)—Colorado Gov. Bill Ritter has vetoed a bill that would have allowed some gun owners to bypass additional background checks each time they buy a gun.

The bill would have allowed some people with permits to carry concealed weapons to skip additional background checks each time they buy a gun.

Senators agreed to change the bill to require the Colorado Bureau of Investigations to come up with one tamperproof permit card to be used across Colorado.

Permit holders would have had to show that permit and another form of identification when buying another gun.

Senate Minority Leader Josh Penry said it was Ritter's first big test as governor on gun rights issues and promised it will be an issue if Ritter runs for re-election next year.

I have to agree with TBILL. When I was much younger, I felt that being a single issue voter
might not be in the best interest of electing the right candidates to the job. Now that I am
a year and a half away from completing my seventh decade of life, the Second Amendment has become my own litmus test that I apply to every candidate.....from the local school board right on up to the office of president. It makes real sense! For political candidates, the Second Amendment is a very tough issue on which to take a stand. Those who are right up front with their support of the Second Amendment are the kind of folks we need to put into office. Those who waffle around with platitudes like "I support the
right to keep and bear arms, WITH REASONABLE
RESTRICTIONS", are those who deserve the kiss of political death!

Posted by: canovack | June 1, 2009 6:01 PM    Report this comment

Nevada waves additional background checks and fees to current permit holders. It also helps increase sales of CCW renewals

Posted by: Les Strong | May 28, 2009 11:48 AM    Report this comment

The thing is we are doing our best to get rid of the liberals aka Morons out of out state but its going to be a long hard fight and those that can (that is that do blieve in our rights) are getting out. I do say sorry colorado that more than likely some that have no consideration for others like alot off us gun owners do and keep the country clean and clean up after ourselves and others after shooting no matter where we live or are visiting.

Posted by: bear1 | May 26, 2009 1:37 AM    Report this comment

The liberal progressives so screwed up California with all their giveaways that they choked on taxes that have just about bankrupt their state government. Their solution is to move to beautiful states like Colorado and export their distorted beliefs to destroy and trash them. Please take back your state and run the liberal progressive idiots back where they belong, to hang with like minded idiots back in California.

Posted by: alchemist | May 25, 2009 10:11 AM    Report this comment

Follow the states that elected Obama and you will see a peculiar trend toward ammo control.
I never thought liberal meant anti- second amendment but it is looking they are synonymous lately. Good Luck Colorado,You are going to need it! Semper Fi

Posted by: Sharps | May 22, 2009 9:36 PM    Report this comment

Michaelgb,
I didn't see any of the items you mentioned. The only thing I did see was more than 50 Lbs. of brass casings on the ground. I picked up all of my .357" casings. My Taurus Titanium Tracker Revolver was not accurate out of the box and I was trying to sight it in however, some of the inaccuracy was my fault. It's a large adjustment going from an M-60 to a handgun. Handguns are a little easier to tuck and roll with and take up less room in your sleepingbag.

Posted by: JWallace | May 21, 2009 11:21 PM    Report this comment

I'd guess we Texans have just gotten too spoiled. From Day 1, when our concealed carry law went into effect, the CHL and a Texas ID was all that was necessary to purchase firearms. There was no NICS check as long as you had your valid CHL with you. For many Texans, this in and of itself, was a great reason to have a CHL, since it speeds up the
process of completing a firearms transfer.

Posted by: canovack | May 21, 2009 4:42 PM    Report this comment

Sorry, Michaelgb - I've confronted some of those destructive slobs and I can pretty much guarantee they are not reading these articles or posts. About the only thing they read is beer bottle and cigarette pack labels.

Posted by: CHUCK S | May 21, 2009 12:35 PM    Report this comment

As a gun toting coloradian.. PLEASE CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF WHEN YOU GO SHOOTING.. I like to think that gun owners are also interested in keeping colorado clean, but when you see the trash left at shooting sites, I wonder what kind of morons leave computers, television sets, and shot up trees where we have ranges. I always bring a large garbage bag to haul back stuff I find there, but come on people, lets not give the nobamma morons more "ammunition" to see us as neandertals.

Posted by: Michaelgb | May 21, 2009 12:14 PM    Report this comment

I hope so Chuck. Colorado is too beautiful to have a non-think Marxist in charge.

Posted by: Tim C | May 21, 2009 10:59 AM    Report this comment

As a native Coloradan, this veto is no surprise from our urbanite elected liberal gubernor, Tax Ritter.
Just another payback to the leftist transplanted Californian liberals that helped pave his way to office with gold and favors owed.
He hadn't even found the bathrooms in the Guv's mansion yet when he killed CCW state reciprocity and permanantly extended CBI record keeping of applicants (the beginnings of GUN REGISTRATION database).
I'll be celebrating when he loses his job. Maybe all the extreme Obama butt kissing he and Denver mayor Hickenlooper have been doing (at great expense to the taxpayers, of course) will pay off and he'll bail out on the state for a cushy little do-nothing appointment in DC.
I can only hope...

Posted by: CHUCK S | May 21, 2009 10:45 AM    Report this comment

Well Jeff, He's a democrat, and therefore knows how to emote, not think. You guys have a beautiful state, and it will be even better if you can chunk this guy.

Posted by: Tim C | May 21, 2009 10:01 AM    Report this comment

Ritter just vetoed his chances of being re-elected. I purchased my first handgun in Southwestern Colorado. I like the fact that you can find outdoor gun ranges along some highways in Southwestern Colorado. If you get a sudden inclination to have some fun, you can pull off the side of the road and send a few rounds down range. That's freedom of choice. I haven't tried that in New York yet (LOL).

Posted by: JWallace | May 19, 2009 7:18 PM    Report this comment