December 19, 2011

Conceal carry permit applications
swamp Wisconsin Department of Justice

(GunReports.com) -- In less than six weeks, 56,000 people applied for a permit under Wisconsin's new concealed carry law and thousands more bought handguns, swamping the state agency handling the required background checks, according to a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article.

The newspaper reports that the applicants so far amount to about 1% of the state's population, and very few of them have been rejected for a permit. The number of state background checks for handgun purchases is also up more than 50% for the year - another sign of the large numbers of people taking advantage of the new concealed carry law.

On Nov. 1, Wisconsin became the 49th state in the country to allow the concealed carry of weapons, prompting a rush from people who have long wanted a permit. The law allows people 21 and older to qualify for weapons permits if they are trained and can pass a background check that shows they're not felons or otherwise barred from carrying guns.

As of Dec. 11, a total of 24,821 people had had permits approved by the state and only a small number - 296 people - have been denied, according to new DOJ statistics.

Read more at at www.JSOnline.com.

I agree...

Posted by: PVB | December 24, 2011 11:54 AM    Report this comment

With Illinois being the lone standout in this arena, it probably is only a matter of time before the poor, downtrodden people of the Land of Lincoln will get their CHL legislation passed. That said, however, I believe that there is such deep seated, corrupt, strong-arm politically defiant resistance to the Second Amendment and the Supreme Court, that such legislation is not on the horizon, or even on the radar, right now.

With all of the above noted, we also cannot truly say that Illinois is alone in its' holdout status. There are still states that have CHL laws on the books, but there are so many impediments to the acquisition of a CHL in those states, that they might as well be counted along with Illinois as corrupt, draconian enemies of freedom.

Posted by: canovack | December 24, 2011 11:44 AM    Report this comment

oops

Posted by: PVB | December 24, 2011 8:03 AM    Report this comment

Boots? Tight trousers?? Shafts??? I thought I'd stumbled into the wrong forum for a minute!

If you think Wisconsin is swamped, just wait until Illinois does it...

Posted by: PVB | December 24, 2011 7:54 AM    Report this comment

If you have any questions regarding the CWP or need training contact www.e2c.us or 1-866-371-6111 and the Instructors at Equip 2 Conceal will be happy to help you.

Posted by: hammerheadfl | December 24, 2011 7:41 AM    Report this comment

David, you'd be surprised at what kind of sound tactical advice you might provide. While any advice we get or think up must be validated in physical practice, all of the ideas originate in somebody's cerebral matter before they are tested in actual practice.

Posted by: canovack | December 23, 2011 2:27 PM    Report this comment

I'm not a fan of tight jeans with my boots. I prefer to wear trousers with legs wide enough to pull right up over the shafts if I want to get in there. However, I was just relating a story, not any kind of tactical advice. THAT I don't feel qualified to provide.

Posted by: david b | December 23, 2011 1:57 PM    Report this comment

Being a Texan, albeit a naturalized one, I have several pairs of western boots. Yes, you can put a lot of stuff into the shafts of your boots, but you'd best continue to use holsters and sheaths to keep that stuff where you can get to it.....without taking off your boots.

Posted by: canovack | December 23, 2011 11:49 AM    Report this comment

Back up for your back-up! canovack, I knew there was more than one reason I like your posts. That's a great idea, and so far I've only thought of pistol, mouse pistol, knife and ASP and then maybe knucks, blackjack or pepper spray. I like this idea.

I'm also a fan of western style boots. Not only do they feel great if you get some that fit, but as a friend once told me - "you can carry a pistol in one, a pint in the other, and still have room for a knife and a black jack, and NOBODY can tell you've got any of it."

Posted by: david b | December 22, 2011 10:51 PM    Report this comment

The Bond Arms derringers always have seemed to be way overpriced to me. They may be high quality pieces, but they are still single action two-shot pistols. For about the same amount of money one might spend for a Bond Arms gun, you can get a new Smith J-frame in .357 Magnum or .38 Special, or a used Colt Detective Special or Cobra in .38 Special. The Colts are even six-shooters. If, however, you are determined to have a two-shot derringer, there are less expensive options such as the Davis guns. Then, again, there's a new one coming on the market called the Double Tap, which is a double action two-shooter that comes in .45 ACP or 9x19mm. The Double Tap also has a compartment in the grip that holds two additional rounds. I am sort of interested in it as a back-up to my back-up piece. Also, a long time ago, I bought an Intratec Companion O/U derringer for my wife. It is an all steel gun in .38 Special, and it is double action only. I haven't seen one since I got it for her what seems like 20 years ago.

Posted by: canovack | December 22, 2011 7:53 PM    Report this comment

Broke mostly, canovack. Two divorces, two bankruptcies, lots of unemployment. It really is 'cheaper to keep her'. I've only recently gotten to where I can think about buying guns. And for a while I bought only used, to get one in every room. Now, I can buy a few new ones now and then. But, no derringer yet. Next gun show I get to, maybe. I'm thinking maybe one of those Bond Arms models that shoot the .410 shells.

Any other suggestions? I'm thinking they are pretty much 'point blank or leave it hidden' guns, so I'm not sure the caliber matters....

Posted by: david b | December 22, 2011 5:38 PM    Report this comment

David, d'ya mean that you don't have one yet? Where've ya been for so long?

Posted by: canovack | December 22, 2011 5:06 PM    Report this comment

I'm sure that some of that number is generated out of the anti-union legislation and feelings about that situation - on both sides.

I wonder too, if numbers like this frighten the NWO types in D.C. I mean, this is potentially 56,000 people who could acquire military grade weapons (and armor) with a little subterfuge and one pull of the trigger if martial law were declared.

Did any of you guys ever see those little single shot sheet metal .45's we made and sprinkled all over France for the resistance prior to D-Day? They even came with instructions suggesting how to use them effectively. If I recall correctly, I found a copy of those instructions on the web not too long ago too. It included using the pop-gun to get your better grade gear and then passing the little stamped metal gun on to somebody else who needed it.

Hmmm. Maybe I should buy a derringer....

Posted by: david b | December 22, 2011 3:45 PM    Report this comment

There should be no surprise that the residents of Wisconsin are enthusiastically embracing concealed carry. It has been a long time coming, and the folks up there have been on starvation rations concerning concealed carry for a long, long time.

Posted by: canovack | December 22, 2011 12:19 PM    Report this comment