February 16, 2009

Armed Mississippian Surprises Thieves

JACKSON, Miss. -- Three suspected burglars fleeing an angry and armed Jackson homeowner were arrested and charged Tuesday night, police said today, according to the Clarion Ledger newspaper.

Precinct 2 Cmdr. Jesse Robinson said the west Jackson homeowner came home late Tuesday to find his front door kicked in.

The owner found three strangers hiding in a rear bedroom and fired several shots. He missed, and the intruders fled, according to Robinson.

However, a police officer later arrested and charged Corey Husbands, 20, Ceola Washington, 18, and Brandon Carter, 25, with house burglary.

To read the entire story in the Clarion Ledger, click here.

In this particular situation, it would have been easier to lead the moving target with laser sights. It also causes one to focus on the target rather than the front sight (point and shoot method). I don't think the problem was trigger jerk, I think it was a problem of not giving a moving target sufficient lead.

Posted by: JWallace | March 1, 2009 12:57 PM    Report this comment

Laser sights are like all other sights. If you jerk the trigger you'll still miss.

Posted by: EdD270 | February 20, 2009 5:30 PM    Report this comment

THOSE ARE THE BEST RULES THERE IS BECAUSE I WAS TAUGHT THE SAME THING AND GREW UP WITH AND AROUND GUNS AND THE SERVICE WAS AN EXPERT SHOT AND GOOD TRAINING IS THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD AND IT SURE HELPED IN COMBAT

Posted by: bear1 | February 19, 2009 11:56 PM    Report this comment

Armed confrontations can cause the best marksman to miss, not everyone is trained for this. My daddy had 2 rules he taught me about guns 1. Never point a gun at someone unless you intend to shoot them. 2. Never shoot anyone unless you intend to kill them.

Posted by: Robert J | February 19, 2009 9:44 AM    Report this comment

I have become a believer in having a laser on the handgun I use for home etc.
I know regular practice on the range is important but I have taught some shooters who
just can't get to the range as often as they should.
True--do not become totally dependent on the laser but it WORKS !!
A O Nabb

Posted by: anabb | February 19, 2009 8:52 AM    Report this comment

I'm sure he wasn't expecting the burglar to still be in the house. It startled him when he discovered the first one and then multiplied 3 times when they all scurried in seperate directions. I'm sure he scored direct hits on their shadows. I see laser sights in his future.

Posted by: JWallace | February 18, 2009 10:43 PM    Report this comment

Yeah, but don't ever SAY you shot to kill. You'll scare the straights. Always say you shot to STOP.

Posted by: Gaviota | February 18, 2009 9:33 PM    Report this comment

Shoot to kill or don't shoot. You may "accidently" kill someone.

Posted by: flistell | February 18, 2009 8:34 PM    Report this comment

How do you miss three burglars in your bedroom with every single shot? What's the maximum range, about 12 or 15 feet? With three 18" wide x 36" tall targets? Hell, DEAD people can get hits under those conditions.

Either he got excited because he's utterly unprepared and untrained in combat handgunning, or he let them go. I vote he scared the absolute shit out of them and let'em go, and I can see the argument for that. If they weren't armed, and were trying to escape, there's just no percentage in having to pay a lawyer to defend himself from criminal prosecution and civil lawsuits.

Posted by: Gaviota | February 16, 2009 9:52 PM    Report this comment