April 14, 2009

FBI Background Checks for Firearm Purchases Hit 100 Million

FBI Background Checks for Firearm Purchases

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the agency responsible for running the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), has announced the completion of the 100 millionth instant background check since the inception of NICS 10 years ago.

FBI background checks are required under federal law for all individuals purchasing firearms from federally licensed retailers. These checks help ensure that those prohibited by law from possessing firearms do not acquire them, and the checks further serve as a strong indicator of actual sales.

The NICS 100 millionth transaction corresponds with a 27.1 percent increase in firearm sales for the first quarter of 2009 over the same quarter last year.

I'm observing courts ruling in favor of the 2nd amendment and an increase in anti-gun rhetoric. I'm sure this type of behavior is common when a group of people start to panic when they see unfavorable writing on the wall. To keep up, I need to purchase a large dry-erase board to plot out everything that is currently happpening. Robert, pick out your favorite drink to wash that crow down. A win in our favor would encourage me to offer splitting the meal with you. :)

Posted by: JWallace | April 23, 2009 4:33 PM    Report this comment

Jeff W I respectfully disagree. To your credit you produce a logical arguement, however you forget your dealing with illogical people (i.e. liberals). Look how fast they acted to get their spending programs, they didn't even take the time to read the bill. They are power hungry and won't be able to help themselves, even if its political suicide. The President and Congress are moving at a quick pace while people are distracted and before they catch on that we are converting to a communist country. With what is going on in Mexico, a rash of shootings in this country, and various liberal anti-gun news reports (20/20) the ground work is carefully being laid out for some serious gun legislation. This is one time I wish I was dead wrong and if I am I will eat a great big plate of crow in your honor.

Posted by: Robert J | April 23, 2009 6:46 AM    Report this comment

Gaviota & Robert,
I do not believe the time is right for Liberals to launch an offensive in Gun Control. Americans expected suicides and crime to increase due to the recession. The bonus issue and anti-gun rhetoric have too many Americans closely watching Congress. It would be political suicide to make a move towards gun control especially when gun sales are driving the economy. I just have a hard time believing they would be foolish enough to implement their agenda.

Posted by: JWallace | April 23, 2009 12:00 AM    Report this comment

Hey, I don't believe Obamas even our president, I know he's not mine, I'm American born. He hasn't proven yet if he's American. We have an African born wannabe "American" running our great country into the ground! He releases the report about what things were used to get the terrorists to talk and then says "well it would have been released in time anyway". Well hey, then why doesn't he release his real birth certificate "it will be released in time anyway."

Posted by: gun boss | April 22, 2009 5:14 PM    Report this comment

Jeff W - Good synopsis. Don't know if health care will improve under Obama, though. I'm an RN, and a vet, and I've seen first hand what government healthcare is all about. If I had gone to a civilian doctor and he ordered a colonoscopy, it would have been done in 3 days or less. The VA took TWO AND A HALF YEARS! to get the job done.

Robert J - Agreed, that's indeed what bottom feeders do. People like us will call his hands dirty if he should sign any gun-control bill, but the sycophantic press and the grass-eating sheeple won't.

Posted by: Gaviota | April 20, 2009 5:59 PM    Report this comment

Jeff W., Obama said HE wouldn't reinstate the assault weapons ban, that doesn't mean Congress won't. Obama does a pretty good job of shielding himself, Pelosi and the crew will pass a ban and he will sign it to go along, however he won't be the one to push the bill. He will not get his hands dirty on this one. Do you actually believe with this situation in Mexico and these recent epidemic of shootings in the U.S., the liberals in Congress are not going to use this opportunity to push their anti-gun agenda? Liberals never let a crisis go by without trying to capitalize, that's what bottom feeders do.

Posted by: Robert J | April 20, 2009 8:51 AM    Report this comment

Gaviota,
It appears we agree on one term for Obama.
I think the economy will recover, taxes will rise due to all of this spending, Mexico will not collapse, Social Security & Medicare will not be fixed but we will see improvements in Health Care. Illegal Aliens will continue to flow into this Country until we experience an attack on U.S. Soil that is traced back to weak security @ our southern border. The government will react (after the fact) and tighten security at the border thus fixing the illegal alien northern migration problem but creating a new problem by entrapping those already here.

Posted by: JWallace | April 19, 2009 9:59 PM    Report this comment

I think you're probably right, Jeff. I don't have any idea what the future holds, but if the economy continues to tank, if taxes rise dramatically, if we suffer another terror attack on US soil, or if Mexico collapses and sends millions more illegal aliens fleeing into the US, then the president is a one-termer. If the economy booms, taxes go down, Social Security and Medicare are fixed, the deficit and debt go away, and peace breaks out all over the world, he'll be re-elected.

What do YOU think is gonna happen?

Posted by: Gaviota | April 18, 2009 10:45 PM    Report this comment

Okay, Lying or not, In my opinion, Obama is a one term president. People have been frenzied due to a fear the Obama Administration planned on reinstating the Assault Weapons Ban and then taking it a step further by considering ways to disarm Americans under the false pretense of derailing gun violence. This fear will definitely have an effect on the next election.

Posted by: JWallace | April 18, 2009 11:37 AM    Report this comment

Yeah, I heard. He's lying.

In the history of Barack Obama's entire short legislative career, he never once authored, co-authored, sponsored, supported, or voted for anything that would have resulted in more liberty, more freedom, smaller government, or lower taxes for me. Never once.

Furthermore, he never, ever, voted against any bills restricting the manufacture, transfer, sale, possession, or use of any guns or ammunition.

Ergo sum: He's lying.

Posted by: Gaviota | April 17, 2009 12:59 AM    Report this comment

Gaviota, Have you heard President Barack Obama signaled Thursday, 4/16/2009 he will not seek the reinstatement of a U.S. assault weapons ban but instead step up enforcement of existing laws against taking such weapons across the border?

Posted by: JWallace | April 16, 2009 9:05 PM    Report this comment

Well, I like seeing the FEDS really busy. It will keep them sharp and on their toes. Maybe 200 million will be coming sooner than 10 years, let's make it 1 year. Keep making purchases, it will make a political statement.

Posted by: jchbroker | April 16, 2009 6:33 PM    Report this comment

That 100 million transaction count probably isn't even an accurate indicator of the actual number of firearms sales since in some states (maybe all?) sales to CC permit holders are not phoned in for a NCIS review.

Posted by: Dulrug | April 16, 2009 6:06 PM    Report this comment

These are probably the figures the Brady Bunch uses to show how many times people have been turned down. Now we find that most turned down checks were a result of an input error and had to be rerun with the correct data. If all the i's aren't dotted and the t's not crossed it will get turned down.

Posted by: Robert J | April 16, 2009 10:26 AM    Report this comment

I wonder just how many of those checks were turned down? Justifiably or otherwise. Does it really work in the scheme of things to keep guns out of the hands of those that shouldn't have them? I really have my doubts!

Posted by: Geometric1 | April 16, 2009 9:29 AM    Report this comment

You probably got put on the right wing watch list Homeland Security just came out with which included service veterans and christians.

Posted by: Robert J | April 16, 2009 9:26 AM    Report this comment

Jeff W., At least they know where 1 of the 20 or so guns you own are located. LOL Everyone should have at least one gun registered so the Feds THINK they have a handle on things. I think this instant criminal background check may be a great identity theft tool for those that so desire. We all know how easy it is for hackers to get info on honest folks. Good Luck with the Sig.

Posted by: Sharps | April 16, 2009 9:25 AM    Report this comment

A reputable gun dealer in Hialeah, Florida actually turned me down when I attempted to purchase my .357 Sig because the background check came back negative. I was dumbfounded and informed the dealer there was an error. Three minutes later the phone rang and the decision was reversed. Well, I know what it feels like to be turned down and as a result I'm more determined to protect my second amendment right.

Posted by: JWallace | April 14, 2009 10:17 PM    Report this comment