May 12, 2009

Republican "Leaders" Looking to Replace Specter with Noted Gun Banner

In a recent Gun Owners of America email, the group called out Republicans who support gun control, in particular Tom Ridge of Pennsylvania.

The GOA email said:

Some Republicans still don't understand why mainstream America is so upset with their Party.

Now that Sen. Arlen Specter has defected to the Democrat Party, many prominent Republicans are openly recruiting liberal Republicans to run against Specter.

And at the top of their list is Tom Ridge.

Ridge is the turncoat Republican whose vote was crucial in passing the semi-auto ban in 1994.

After having opposed a similar ban in 1991, then-Rep. Tom Ridge flip-flopped and teamed up with Charles Schumer (D-NY) to pass the semi-auto gun and magazine ban. The gun ban passed narrowly, 216 to 214, thanks to Tom Ridge.

Later, as Governor of Pennsylvania, Ridge signed one of the most restrictive gun control laws in the State's history -- the infamous Act 17 which registered and taxed long gun buyers and placed other restrictions on Keystone State gun owners.

As the head of the Department of Homeland Security, Tom Ridge opposed arming pilots. He asked, sarcastically, if pilots carry guns, then should we also arm railroad engineers and bus drivers? As DHS Director, Ridge should have led the charge to arm pilots and people in other positions that fell under the agency's purview.

Instead, he just repeated the same tired old anti-gun line that we hear every time a state passes a concealed carry handgun law.

Guess who else opposed the armed pilots program? Pennsylvania's "Benedict" Arlen Specter, who was one of only two Republican Senators to vote against the bill.

The last thing we need is another elitist in Congress who does not trust law-abiding citizens with firearms. And yet, wishy-washy Republican Senators like Utah's Orrin Hatch and South Carolina's Lindsey Graham are touting Ridge over Specter. In other words, let's replace one turncoat with another.

There is a better option. His name is Pat Toomey, a Gun Owners of America "A" rated pro-gunner who served in the U.S. House of Representatives for three terms, before honoring a self-imposed term limit and retiring in 2004.

Those who are pushing anti-gunner Tom Ridge claim that Pat Toomey is unelectable because he's "too conservative" for Pennsylvania.

But that's what self-appointed experts said before Toomey got elected term after term in a largely Democrat district in the eastern part of Pennsylvania. And that's what they said before he accrued a gigantic lead in the polls over a sitting Senator this year, forcing Specter to jump parties.

It was Pat Toomey who forced Specter to jump to the Democrat Party. Toomey -- who was backed by Gun Owners of America Political Victory Fund -- was leading Specter in polls by an overwhelming margin.

That's also what they said about Ronald Reagan -- who was supposedly too conservative to win a national election. (By the way, Reagan also won Pennsylvania.)

Bottom line: We need to put these squishy politicians on alert. Their internal party politics is their business. But when party leaders start pushing noted gun banners -- using the money contributed by millions of gun owners around the country -- we're not going to remain silent.

Texas Senator John Cornyn is the head of the National Republican Senatorial Committee. Michael Steele heads the Republican National Committee. The decision to support an anti-gunner over a defender of the Second Amendment rests largely in their hands.

You can contact NRSC's Sen. Cornyn at Info@NRSC.org or by phone at (202) 675-6000.

You can contact RNC Chairman Michael Steele at Chairman@GOP.com or by phone at (202) 863-8700.

Robert,
I think if you just change the business concept and leave the old players on the roster, they will eventually return to their business as usual concept (back door dealings). Change the faces as well as the rules and you will see a winning team.

Posted by: JWallace | May 23, 2009 11:06 PM    Report this comment

Washington needs to be cleaned up, changing politicians won't accomplish that. The way Washington does business needs to change. We need to get rid of lobbyists and separate politicians from big money, until then nothing will change. The first thing people want to do is change the players, you need to change the game.

Posted by: Robert J | May 21, 2009 7:42 AM    Report this comment

This last election no republican would have won after the disater of the Bush administrations handleing of the economy. The last 8 years saw the GOP rip down and destroy every principle Reagan stood for. We do not need a Great leader or Super Charismatic leader. We need moral decent Men to run for office. After three corrupt Presidents: Clinton, Bush and Obama. We need someone who can elevate the office of president to a higher moral ground. We need Senators,Congressmen, assyblymen, county supervisors, Dog catchers in short we need Good men to run for elected office. In most places they will win. And those who know how to pray stay on thier knees until God blesses America again. Thats we change America.

Posted by: JHMAN | May 18, 2009 12:57 AM    Report this comment

I'm actually a registered Independent which probably doesn't surprise anyone. I voted for Charlie Crist as Govenor of Florida. I favored Mike Huckabee on the road to the Whitehouse. I also thought Mitt Romney was quite sharp but he was quickly removed from my list when I discovered he supported the Brady Bill. There's no party affiliation here.

Posted by: JWallace | May 16, 2009 8:43 PM    Report this comment

"...a matter of false advertising..."

Man, Robert, you hit that nail on the head. Unfortunately, it seems to be a matter of entrenched political wisdom that a candidate has to conceal his/her true beliefs in order to get elected. Like you said earlier, maybe it's getting to be time for another two or three parties to rise up and challenge what TIM C. called the ONE PARTY with the two press agents. A good emblem might be a hybrid pachydass with two anuses.

canovack - You know, I'm afraid you are right about needing a charismatic candidate to cure us of Mindless Party Loyalty, but I'm getting tired of this messianic complex the public seems to have. Why is it that so many voters seem to feel the need for one great Fuhrer to worship, to save us all from nature and each other? All we really need is a bunch of regular people like you and me, just doing what's right, serving the Constitution, and representing their constituencies fairly and honestly.

Crap. Just crap.

Posted by: Lee W | May 15, 2009 10:27 PM    Report this comment

No, my friend Gaviota, I have not given up on my loyalty to the Republican Party. I am still a sustaining member of the RNC. The point that I wish to make, however, is that while the Republicans and Democrats are, in essence, the only two games in town, we can
influence the RNC with our opinions and still be prepared to vote independent if necessary.
Now, "if necessary" is a really big concept.
I don't know exactly when or how "if necessary"
might actually come into play. I suspect that
it will take the shape of a candidate who has
such leadership, intelligence, common sense, etc, who like BHO can play the pipes well enough to get all of us rats to follow. So far, in my lifetime, I have not seen such a
candidate running as an independent or as a third party option.

Posted by: canovack | May 15, 2009 12:55 PM    Report this comment

I cannot speak for the Col. however I can give my perspective on the loyalty subject. I am a member of the RNC because I believe in core conservative values. Yes, there are members of the RNC I do not agree with. Here was the situation in the last election. McCain did not accurately represent the core of the Republican base. True conservatives did not support him and look what we got, Obama. Now I know McCain had his faults, however he is a patriot and a heck of a lot better choice than Obama. So to sit on the sidelines and not choose either candidate got Obama elected. Just like the battle field, you cannot make decisions waiting for the ideal situation, sometimes its a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils. With that being said, we control the parties and squeeking wheel gets the grease. We need to put the RNC on notice that we want candidates based on our core conservative values. The RNC tried to copy the Democrats and move to the middle, however the RNC did it wrong by actually picking a candidate in the middle. The DNC advertises a candidate as being in the middle and he was far left, therefore he got the undecided votes and all the far left votes. The american people did not get the product that they were sold, a matter of false advertising. The point is we need to stand up to the RNC and get a candidate that represents us core conservatives and not a candidate to sway the undecideds. I do not blindly follow the RNC, its the best game in town for now, however for those who did nothing this last election have no room to complain about who they got stuck with. Not to worry, the Democrats are their own worse enemy and always end up doing themselves in. Look at Nancy Pelosi right now, the mess she is in was created by her. They just can't help it when they get power and end up going off the reservation. I understand what the Col. was saying.

Posted by: Robert J | May 15, 2009 9:47 AM    Report this comment

Robert J - I'll try to restrain myself. Don't need the FBI pissed at me.

Col. Novack - Did you actually say "...if that doesn't work, inform them that we are not buying their brand anymore.....and let them know that we are going independent." That sounds suspiciously like one of MY earlier ranting and raving debates with you. Have you changed your mind about unswerving loyalty to the Republican Party?

Understand I am not mocking you in ANY way. I merely seek information.

Respectfully, Gaviota

Posted by: Lee W | May 14, 2009 11:57 PM    Report this comment

I think that we're going to have to keep chipping away at the problems we have with our government. A gradual cleaning of the "House" will definitely reap rewards. I see that quite a few people are focused on Nancy Pelosi / CIA Interogation Issue right now.

Posted by: JWallace | May 14, 2009 9:20 PM    Report this comment

To repeat an oft quoted phrase....."We're all in this together". While we may say things in different ways, the general impression I keep getting in this forum, is that we truly ARE
in this together. We cannot.....CANNOT..... afford to fail. As long as each of us draws breath.....as long as each of us continues to
express ourselves openly.....and as long as each of us continues to concentrate on telling
our elected representatives where we stand.....
and as long as we support the gun rights organizations with our membership and our contributions of money and time.....we can win this fight. I shudder to think what can happen if we don't.

Posted by: canovack | May 14, 2009 3:00 PM    Report this comment

Again keep up the good work

Posted by: bear1 | May 14, 2009 1:43 PM    Report this comment

Gaviota and Col Novack, you have both said just what I have been thinking and both are great posts. This ol Nam Vet just can't put it so eloquently and with such class. I just seem to say it like I see It. Thank You Both for putting in words what I am feeling but somtimes have trouble saying. Thanks again

Posted by: bear1 | May 14, 2009 1:41 PM    Report this comment

You are so right Col. Novack. I think the reason this has been allowed to happen is the fault of our failed media. It used to be if the elected officials were doing something wrong, the media would call them out on it. The media used to be our watchdog. Now that the media is so biased, we do not get the truth anymore, just stories based on fabrication. The art of misinformation worked so well during the Cold War it is now being used on us.

Posted by: Robert J | May 14, 2009 12:24 PM    Report this comment

The Republicans and Deocrats are now one party with two press agents. Term limits Will help save us, but we cannot put up with anti gunners like Ridge, Pro Choice people like Michael Steele and Rinos like ALL the Bushes and call Republicans "Conservative". Hogwash. I have decided to join the same party George Washington belonged to........ The Constitution and common sense. This is too important to lay aside, and too important nmot to be fully impassioned about. We can no longer sit the fence or go along because of "Party Affiliation". Part affiliation means nothing when you go againt mainline principles of that party. Actions speak loud. Party doesn't.

Posted by: Tim C | May 14, 2009 12:07 PM    Report this comment

Our two political parties, the Republicans and the Democrats, are possessed by what I choose to call the "General Motors Syndrome". Like GM, both parties have routinely taken the approach that no matter what they produce, the American public is going to buy it. Like GM,
both parties have become contemptuous of the American public, and they have fallen into the habit of doing whatever the party leadership thinks ought to be done.....without regard for the rank and file members of the parties and/or
the rank and file of the American Electorate.
So.....GM is about to file bankruptcy. Now, it is up to the American Electorate to push the two party system into bankruptcy as well. If you are a Republican, or if you are a Democrat, it is time, now, to make your party's
national committee aware of your dissatisfaction. Like I have routinely urged folks to communicate with their elected representatives in government, so also should we communicate with our respective party's national committee. And.....if that doesn't work, inform them that we are not buying their brand anymore.....and let them know that we are going independent.

Posted by: canovack | May 14, 2009 11:25 AM    Report this comment

First, Michael Steele.

Now, Tommy Ridge.

There is a message in there for 2nd Amendment watchers.

Gotcha' loud and clear, GOP.

Posted by: RackEmPunk | May 14, 2009 11:16 AM    Report this comment

I was thinking 3 or 4 parties. Here's why: I don't think any good legislation can be passed anymore. If one party comes up with some bill the other opposes it just for spite. If 1 party introduced a bill and another party backed them up due to it being a good bill, then the other party or parties would be on the sideline not endorsing a good bill. Maybe it would be unstable like you said, however our 2 party system doesn't seem to work anymore. They are both corrupt and they have the voters divided blaming the other side when in fact both sides are wrong. Plus there are so many issues and view points that there are unhappy people screwing up both parties with internal struggles. How do you end this madness? Please don't answer that Gaviota, the FBI will probably come snatch you up.

Posted by: Robert J | May 14, 2009 9:31 AM    Report this comment

There are countries with more than two parties. In those places, they form "coalition" governments, where two, three or more parties form alliances and their votes dominate the smaller parties' votes. The difficulty then becomes the maintenance of the alliance, because when one party announces that they are pulling out of an alliance, the legislative and executive branches of government effectively shut down until another election can be held. The worst example, I think, is Italy. With literally dozens of different small parties, Italy has had something like sixty-five coalition governments since the end of WWII.

I don't know if multi-party governments will reduce or exacerbate the corruption in politics, but it certainly will make things a lot more unstable and exciting.

Posted by: Lee W | May 14, 2009 8:49 AM    Report this comment

I think we need an end to the 2 party system. We need more political parties which would provide better accountability. In order for this to happen, I think it would take a handful of elected congressman to start a party and defect. The two party system has not allowed for people of other parties to get elected. Nice post the patriot previously known as Gaviota.

Posted by: Robert J | May 14, 2009 7:57 AM    Report this comment

You and me, Jeff. We're brudders. My rant is your rant.

Posted by: Lee W | May 13, 2009 6:42 PM    Report this comment

Gaviota,
Would you mind posting an intelligent view point in my name as well? :)

Posted by: JWallace | May 13, 2009 5:37 PM    Report this comment

Lee W., that's me, Gaviota. For some reason, my name got changed by a computer. Don't know why. Certainly not to "protect the innocent."

Posted by: Lee W | May 13, 2009 3:33 PM    Report this comment

Robert J, you got it right that the politicians have lost their way. The way I see it, core of this country, whether they call themselves liberals, conservatives, libertarians, progressives, Democrats, or Republicans, all live their lives by what I would call conservative standards. They pay their taxes, they pay their bills, they live within their means, they don't pick fights with their neighbors, they don't chronically impair themselves with legal or illegal chemicals, and they behave themselves both in public and in private. The problem is that some of them can't seem to translate their own personal values into the public arena. They live within their own means, but don't vote for politicians who can make the government live within IT'S means. They pay their bills, but don't vote to make the gov't pay IT'S bills. They don't waste their own money by giving it to liars, cheats, and people who will blow it, but they don't vote for politicians who won't waste tax money. They believe they have rights and civil liberties, but they vote for politicians who want to ban guns, tobacco, free speech, privacy rights, writs of habeus corpus, and other Constitutionally-protected liberties.

I don't really blame the politicians for being amoral opportunistic snake-oil salesmen. They're just doing what amoral opportunists have always done. I hate them for it, but I place the actual blame on US, the voters. If voters keep on putting the wolves in charge of the sheep, the soapbox will be vacant when the speakers are arrested, the ballot box will be stuffed with fraudulent votes by incumbents who intend to stay incumbent, and then only the cartridge box can stop the next holocaust. That's why gun-control is so popular with some politicians. They just don't want anyone but themselves in control. Of anything.

Posted by: Lee W | May 13, 2009 3:30 PM    Report this comment

The problem with the Republican Party is they have tried to play politics like the Democrats. They are not as good as the Democrats at politics and never will be. People voted for Regan because they felt he was above mainstream politics. Republicans need to stick to there conservative values and quit trying to compete with Democrats by finding a candidate close to a Democrat. People want a clear choice, conservative or liberal. People have seen through the politics and have voted for Republicans based on conservative values, and you are not going to change the sheeple's minds that blindly believe what the Democrats tell them. Smart people will figure it out when it all shakes out and see through the politics. Unfortunately, all of our politicians have lost there way.

Posted by: Robert J | May 13, 2009 7:14 AM    Report this comment