January 6, 2009

Hunters and Shooters Fear Incoming Administration Will Make Firearms Purchases More Difficult

When asked to define their expectations regarding the new administration and Congress, 80% of respondents said they expect it will become more difficult for them to purchase firearms. Fewer than 1% said they expect purchasing firearms will become less difficult, while 16% said they expect their firearms purchasing ability will remain the same.

Slightly fewer than 4% of respondents said that they don’t know or have no opinion.

“These results show that most hunters and target shooters expect changes resulting from the 2008 elections will make it more difficult for them to buy guns,” commented survey author Rob Southwick of Southwick Associates. “Increases in firearm sales since the November election are also a strong indicator of such sentiment.”

The online survey was conducted in December 2008.

Source: Launched in 2006, HunterSurvey.com and TargetshootingSurvey.com help the firearms and outdoor equipment industries, government officials, and conservation organizations track consumer activities and expenditure trends.

Well Bam-Bam has been President for one hour, and so far, no damage done! As I watched the pre swearing in festivities. With much of it under the direction of Diane Fienstien, I had to cringe. I am obviously a nor big fan of the lady from CA, that still believes that that the gastly Glocks are still invisable to security equipment in airports. If you scanned the faces, primarily gathered at the front, and if you follow closely the stances of the Pros and Antis, you too probably recognized many familiar faces from the other side of the issue. At one point Bam-Bam commented, 'I support each of the constitutional amendents" [para-pharsed]. It is just one of the many changes that he said he would bring as President, while he was on the campagin trail.

All, both political camps, and all American people, have to recognize that much that he promised are not within his sphere of control. No standing President could keep those promises!

There has sprung up a watchdog group, that has documented, and catagorized each and every promises. One of the horses he rode in on was more public accountability of government at all levels, and that would truly be a milestone accomplish.

One of the problems is that "Oversight" is a task assigned to the "good-ole-boys", themselves. We have never had Public Accountability. That look-the-other-way habit must end now!

Those of us alive today have been indoctrinated to hold the House/Senate as some how, above the rest of us! Whoa Kids, what we been smokin? I don't speak for other than myself, but I don't take dictation, no matter the personal cost! Bam Bam took an oath today! I too took an oath, it was much like his, and like one I have taken twice before.
My Loyalty to the constitution of the U.S.; and my committment TO PROTECT IT FROM ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN OR DOMESTIC!

Posted by: steek65 | January 20, 2009 12:46 PM    Report this comment

August, I guess only my first statement was right "it appears that you are a misunderstood individual"? I was not trying to twist things you said, it was how I interpreted them. If I have been wrong, I apologize. It doesn't appear that I have been alone. Sometimes its not what's in a message, it's the messages delivery that warrants its interpretation.

Posted by: Robert J | January 20, 2009 7:10 AM    Report this comment

Quote from August: "Anyone else bored with all the fear mongering yet? Yawn..."

From Obama's transition website, @ CHANGE.GOV:

"Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners... They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets."

If you don't fear statements like that, you're numb to reality.

Posted by: RackEmPunk | January 16, 2009 12:36 PM    Report this comment

Alright Kids, play nice or go to your rooms! j/k I have a comment on one of the first of Bam-Bam's appointees. He named AZ Gov. Janet Napolitano to direct Homeland Security. Unless you live here, you know little of Janet. The can be no arguement that this lady is a powerhouse professional politician. She has done some good things, like putting the immigration issue right on Washington, When the Feds attempted to fix responsibility for a secure southern border on the border states only! She put the National Guard on the Border, and told DC that she'd bill them. Well she did, and we got reimbursed. To most that made her a Saint, but there is another side to the lady from AZ. She is a vigorous opponet of the maintenance of "individual rights". Now think about this, she is now incharge of the largest agency in government. She controls 22 Federal Agencies (yes, ATFE) and with the exception of the FBI, she controls all forms of law enforcement. Her position on the 2nd Amendment? She repeatedly said that she believes that citizens (approved citizens) have the right to bear arms. On the surface she appears to be, at best, neuteral on the issue. She did not oppose CCW in AZ. I DID NOT SAY SHE SUPPORTED! When permits were sweeping the country, she knew that in this state where open carry has been legal since Territorial days, she could not halt the movement, so she merely smiled and looked the other way. When the mayor of New Orleans did his gun grab during Katrina, she quietly offered Nat'l Guard assistance to the mayor. Her comments later were something like 'it was the right thing to do at the time'. Since we all know that feces runs downhill, and she holds the hill, you know what will be encouraged when she holds the reins on every involved agency in the country. PLEASE WATCH THE LADY, SHE WILL APPLY PRESSURE ON EVERY STATE.

Posted by: steek65 | January 16, 2009 9:46 AM    Report this comment

August, it appears that you are a misunderstood individual. I say that due to the fact that you and I and others argue a lot on these posts. Maybe I, can't speak for others, have stereotyped you based on past and present things you have said. For example: Most people that are anti-Bush are pro-Obama. Not this post, in the past (before election) you blamed the financial crisis on Bush and thought Obama would be able to clean it up. So I assumed you were pro-Obama, my bad. You also in the past have criticized people for jumping to conclusions about the Obama administration imposing stricter gun laws. That comes off pro-Obama. You seem very well informed however interpret things maybe different than most would on these posts. I would venture to say that most people on these posts are dedicated to their cause and have a "your either for us or against us policy". So if you come around and make a comment that your bored of people fearing that their gun rights are going to be taken away by Obama, then is it too hard to understand that you may offend people and stir up a s%$# storm. You don't seem to understand their point of view, however you are offended by people who don't understand your point of view. I have found it is better to pet the cat from the head to the tail versus the tail to the head. I do honestly feel that we all do want the same end result, maybe just our views of how things are are different.

Posted by: Robert J | January 16, 2009 7:00 AM    Report this comment

RackemPunk did you fail reading comprehension? I’m not trying to pick a fight by calling you a moron but…you must have failed it because I didn’t vote for Obama and NOWHERE in ANY post did I say I voted for Obama and if you could comprehend what I wrote, there would be no way you could draw the conclusion that I “sounds a lot like a guy that I heard on my local radio station” who voted for Obama.

Seriously, is it too much to ask for people to actually read and understand my post before replying with some nonsense that has nothing to do with what I said…

Posted by: August | January 15, 2009 4:32 PM    Report this comment

And I speak to me more than anyone else here. I am guilty of it myself

Posted by: Tim C | January 15, 2009 12:46 PM    Report this comment

Amen to RON PAUL, RackemPunk. And the future performance quote. And the dupe. But, let's remember we are here as freemen in a free state to exchange ideas. Neither side should take offense at an honest man giving honest opinions. Even if he is wrong in your eyes. The enemy is before us, lined up in rank and file and ready to charge. Let's help each other prepare to fix bayonets as brothers in arms without emotions or name calling

Posted by: Tim C | January 15, 2009 12:42 PM    Report this comment

August sounds a lot like a guy that I heard on my local radio station a few weeks before the November election.

The guy had a series of 30 second commercials in which he stated:

"I'm a sportsman... I'm a gun owner... I'm a hunter and I'm voting for Barrack Obama."

He forgot to say that he was a dupe.

It's clear to see that Ron Paul was the only true friend of Americas gun owners. Not McCain and definitely not Obama. You have to look at the RECORDS of the politicians before you vote for them. "Past results are the best indicators of future performance."

Posted by: RackEmPunk | January 15, 2009 12:02 PM    Report this comment

August: B I N G O

Posted by: steek65 | January 14, 2009 6:14 PM    Report this comment

steek65, finally someone who actually read and comprehended what I wrote and responded to it rationally. Thats the best post I have seen on this entire site. We don't all have to agree on everything. But we do agree that "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed".

Posted by: August | January 14, 2009 6:02 PM    Report this comment

“You bring up the economy” No I didn’t. “you can blame Bush but its not his fault” I didn’t do that either. I think you see someone who doesn’t agree with you %100 and you assume I must be the polar opposite of you. But you can’t attack me with the crap you sling at pussy liberals or Democrats, cuz that aint me…

“so please understand how some are getting the word out for what may happen” Im all for informing the public. But a so called “news” article about an online poll of what gun enthusiasts think will happen under the next administration is rubbish. I prefer to get my facts by reading the actual bills being referred in Senate. H.R. 1022 is old news. The latest bill to be introduced is H.R. 6257. It was introduced by Mark Kirk [R IL-10] on June 12, 2008 and it was also referred to the House Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security on 7/28/08. It has four co-sponsors all of which are Republicans. Are you seeing a trend yet? Luckily it didn’t pass before the 110th congress ended.

michael f |
“if you dont believe there are going to be serious limitations to gun ownership and ammo then you probably shouldnt be allowed to own a gun”. Luckily its not up to ignorant people like you to decide who owns a firearm then. “If you voted for husein obama you have no right to gripe about what they are going to try to do to you guns” no I didn’t vote for him, nor did I vote for McCain. And obviously you are trying to make some point about his muslim name. Funny thing is I have yet to meet a Muslim I didn’t like. Can’t say the same for all the other religions. “watch Jerhico reruns on the cw network that is a pretty close view of what could happen” You can’t be serious… “if they vote against gun ownership let them know you will do everything in your power to get them out of office” Finally you say something intelligent.

Posted by: August | January 14, 2009 5:57 PM    Report this comment

“I think we all want the same thing in the end” Probably so. I’ve been shooting for over 20 years and I think firearms, when owned by responsible people are a wonderful and necessary component to our lives.

“I feel the difference is you think the Bush administration was bad and that Obama is going to be the savior.” The savior? Again that’s you putting words in my mouth. I never implied he would save anything or that he would even be successful as President. I merely disagree with the overzealous notion that he will try AND succeed to ban all guns But regardless, as Commander-in-Chief he gets my support and anything less would be un-Patriotic, until such time that I deem his policies and actions warrant a change in my viewpoint.

“I think the Bush administration has a done a great job defending this country against terroism since 9/11” Well everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think on multiple levels the Bush administration was a failure but I won’t get into that here. But considering the staunch defense of “liberties”, “freedoms” and “rights” that I see peppered in replies on this site, I am shocked that Bush legislation like the Patriot Act and the Military Commissions Act of 2006, (which did away with Habeas Corpus) doesn’t have everyone here up in arms. Think how much easier it will be to confiscate firearms now that government agencies don’t need a search warrant or even probable cause. Just label anyone a terrorist and they can lock you up and throw away the key with no right to legal counsel. Land of the free my @ss.

Posted by: August | January 14, 2009 5:49 PM    Report this comment

One person expressed his frustration at this forum. He says, and to a degree I agree, that many of us leave a comment and that's all we do about the problems, that we know we face. In one light we are fools! We are "preaching to the choir", meaning we just continue to bitch, but the readers aren't our enemies the readers are US. We are reaching no one but ourselves! How many of us need to be "converted"? NONE!!! If asked if my being a part of this site/thread has had any positive results; I'd honestly have to say NO! So do I close now only to return another day, to whine or do I do something?

I can only speak about "me" and what plans I have to be an active part of the solution. Even that isn't entirely true. Much of the extent of my involvement, or details of what this "one guy" will do, isn't appearing in written form, anywhere. There is frustration in knowing that the are many, many people out there are experiencing the same thing, the same feelings; but are constrained from speaking for fear of being identified and associated with some nut fringe group. The result, the ball (from a group standpoint) stops here. Why should I trust anyone of you, and why should anyone of you trust me? Finding THAT answer would be a huge step in unification to a common goal.

Posted by: steek65 | January 14, 2009 4:36 PM    Report this comment

if you dont believe there are going to be serious limitations to gun ownership and ammo then you probably shouldnt be allowed to own a gun you might shoot yourself in the foot.If you voted for husein obama you have no right to gripe about what they are going to try to do to you guns with more that 5 shell capacity.I didnt vote for him not just because of our 2nd ammendment rights but his liberal big government is the answer attitude.watch Jerhico reruns on the cw network that is a pretty close view of what could happen. i am suggesting a possible civil war we must keep our right to bear arms because our founding father new that governments canand do go bad.thankfully i live in kansas and our federal elected officials are on board to fight the law changes.the best thing you can do right now is Join the NRA then contact your legislators and let them know about your concerns.if they vote against gun ownership let them know you will do everything in your power to get them out of office GOD BLESS AMERICA

Posted by: lionel1 | January 14, 2009 2:24 PM    Report this comment

There is to be a renewed interest in the H.R.1022 that failed the last time it went through the House. It will allow the new Attorney General to ban all guns that he feels are not necessary for sporting use...that includes all semi-auto guns and many others. Contact your legislator to make sure that he/she does not back a similar law this time around. Seek65 had a great example of how it may work otherwise above.

Posted by: dgray64 | January 12, 2009 12:06 PM    Report this comment

I want to play "Devil's Advocate"! Assume I am "state senator" (not a U.S. Senator)! Hey just saw this Ammo Identification thingy get introduced. Someone name Ms Brady sent me an info flyer on that, HEY, it says that by putting a ID code on all ammo, and raising a tax of, say a nickle a bullet, we could fund a system that keeps track of criminals involved in crime, and who fired a gun in the commission of their crime. Man we could collect data of every person buying ammo, the quanty, the calibers. We'd have already have their picture, address, etc. BOY THAT'D MAKE CATCHING KILLERS A SNAP! THE HONEST GUNOWNERS WOULDN'T OBJECT, BECUSE THEY AREN'T SHOOTING ANYBODY, ANYWAY! This is a great idea; win, win!

Oh Kids can't you see it coming? It has already been introduced in many states! What do you have if you know who buys ammo? Well it gives you a hell of a headstart at ID-ing every gun owner in the U.S.A.

What happened in New Orleans happening in every community in the country - CONFISCATION UNDER "MARTIAL LAW"!

Many of resolutions being introduced, would require "non- ID'd ammo" be destroyed immediately. If you are caught with it, huge fine, possible jail, congrads. "You're a Felon!
Now you can't even own a firearm! ! ! Of course we know that thee bad guys will ONLY by "ID'd Ammo"! If we do not do something, we will have no one to blame but ourselves.
The Anti's could word their Press so sweet, that John Q Public will think it is the best thing since sliced bread

Posted by: steek65 | January 12, 2009 11:05 AM    Report this comment

August, I tried to use a little bit of sarcasm instead of attacking you as in the past. However, it didn't work for my words were misinterpreted. I think we all want the same thing in the end. I feel the difference is you think the Bush administration was bad and that Obama is going to be the savior. I think the Bush administration has a done a great job defending this country against terroism since 9/11. As being a member of the Dept. of Defense I am proud of the job we have done. President Bush has protected this country against another 9/11 for which he gets no credit. You bring up the economy, you can blame Bush but its not his fault. You might want to gear your anger towards Congress and Wall St. As far as gun rights, most of us can see that this is going to be a repeat of the Clinton administration and then some. You have to stop legislation before it becomes a law, which means staying vigulant. I don't want to argue with you about what has not happened yet, however most of us can see what is probably headed our way. I know we all want the same thing, so please understand how some are getting the word out for what may happen so we can try to stop it before it becomes a law. EVERYONE JOIN THE NRA, they are watching out for our gun rights. So is Marc from savetheguns and other pro-guns supporters. My thanks goes out to them all and to President Bush for keeping us safe.

Posted by: Robert J | January 12, 2009 9:24 AM    Report this comment

Due process?? Excuse me, but when it reaches that point, it depends on who's got the money, not whether it's right (correct, or your right). No matter what, the only one who wins then is the lawyer. To keep the constitutional rights that we have, now we have to act before some liberal makes a new law, and don't kid yourself, the only reason for the new law is not something light...it's all about money. How many rights have already disappeared for which we were only luke warm? Stand up for your rights now. I seem to remember that there is an action known as "recall" which removes the elected one from office. Hmmmm, wonder if that works yet?

Posted by: dgray64 | January 9, 2009 10:17 PM    Report this comment

to the person who wrote in saying he was not going to listen to the propogation of fear and that if antigun legislation came down the pike he would write his senators and donate money to progun lobbyist. here is what will happen 1)he will write his letter and receive a form letter from his representative stating something to the fact of i do not favor taking your hunting guns away from you or the total abolition of gun ownership 2) we will end up like england and australia if people like the writer had their way. 3) he seriously needs to take care of his rectal cranial inversion before it is too late and take a look at what is going on around him. obama and his cronies are social elitists. they don't give 2 flips and a holler about the american people only what affects their ability to stay in power. take away the guns and they will run you over with their tanks like they did in tienemen square. to the writer do us a favor sell your guns and move to england where you and us can both be safer from your kind of idealsGš

Posted by: pa-cman | January 9, 2009 3:37 PM    Report this comment

August, I don't think a lot of people thought that Obama had a chance at the presidency, but he did, and from every statement he has made since he won, it's pretty clear that he doesn't have a clue as to what to do and since he is bringing in all of Clinton's old bunch as administrators, they will go back to what they started and "change" what didn't work the last time. This means that we must be very vigilant or we will loose a hell of a lot of rights and those who don't pay attention, but who number in the thousands will back their legislators against us. Be prepared and act now before the Shumer and Bloomburg hits the fan!

Posted by: dgray64 | January 9, 2009 3:01 PM    Report this comment

While I don't doubt that a Democratic president will tend to push for anti-gun legislation, I will wait until I ACTUALLY see said legislation before drawing any conclusions. If Legislation is proposed that I feel is detrimental to my 2nd Amendment rights I will respond the way I always do, by writing my senators and congressman and upping my donations to pro-gun lobbyists. But I will not try and perpetrate a culture of fear to reach that end. I am just as passionate about firearms as any of you but I am not Chicken Little. I have more faith in the American government than that. Granted the last 8 years has substantially shaken my faith in our chosen leaders. I pray to God that the new president will lead wisely.

Posted by: August | January 9, 2009 2:19 PM    Report this comment

For the record I don't "make that comment on every article" nor did I say "we are all fear mongers". That’s you putting words in my mouth with a heap of over-reaction.

This "article" if you can even call it that comments that "By a large majority, hunters and shooters feel that the coming changes in Washington D.C. will make it more difficult for them to purchase firearms, according to a recent poll." That is not news, nor is it scientific nor is it surprising.

Ask Joe the Hunter or Steve at the gun shop if they feel the there will be more difficulties in purchasing firearms under the new administration and they will most likely all say yes. Then ask them why they think that. Because every NRA magazine, every pro gun website and 2nd amendment advocate is saying so. But I don’t base my opinions on Joe the Hunter or Sally the Anti-Gun Nuts pointed musings. I wait for facts.

Fear mongering is the use of fear to influence the opinions and actions of others towards some specific end. The feared object or subject is sometimes exaggerated, and the pattern of fear mongering is usually one of repetition, in order to continuously reinforce the intended effects of this tactic.

Posted by: August | January 9, 2009 2:13 PM    Report this comment

Brothers in Arms!

Posted by: Robert J | January 9, 2009 1:27 PM    Report this comment

ROBERT J. Thanks for the clairification! We obviously share views!

Posted by: steek65 | January 9, 2009 12:52 PM    Report this comment

steek65, I was being sarcastic in response to August's comment(see 2nd comment). He does not think we have anything to fear in the Obama administration, I beg to differ. Sorry for the misguided comment. I am not truely bored, I am furious, P.O.'d, etc. I am bored of August making those comments on every article, he seems to think we are all fear mongers. So instead of giving it to him with both barrels like I have in the past, I tried sarcasm. However, it is a sad situation that we have to worry about our right to bear arms with so much else going on. Stay vigilant, its what our founding fathers would have wanted.

Posted by: Robert J | January 9, 2009 12:29 PM    Report this comment

On 01/08/09 Robert J. made the comment that "I am bored that hard working law abiding citizenshave to fear their government"! Frankly, I don't understand his use of the word, "bored", in his comment. I could understand furious, P.O.'d, mad as hell, won't tolorate; but BORED! I am not Peter yelling, "wolf"; nor do I run around screaming, "the sky is falling", but come on Kids the hand writing is on the wall. Katrina, and the government's response to it, should have been a WARNING. The first OFFICIAL act taken when Katrina hit; was the ORDER that all firmarms be CONFISCATED. If it was the intention that arms be secured "temporary" the the declaration would have used the word, "impounded"; meaning 'pending future return to rightful owners'. The word "CONFISCATED" assumes no plan for eventual return.

I am not "bored", I am armed, and with my blood (if necessary) I will remain that way!

Posted by: steek65 | January 9, 2009 9:48 AM    Report this comment

I'm glad that gun sales have gone through the roof. It shows that people aren't buying into Obama's B.S. and that when the Schumer hits the fan, they'll have the tools to fight back.

Posted by: RackEmPunk | January 9, 2009 12:20 AM    Report this comment

Ironic isn't it ? Forty-eight of fifty states pass some form of concealed carry legislation. Yet the Fed Government is so detached from reality, that they believe that the American people will sit still for more attacks on the 2nd Amendment. American citizens thru their individual State Governments, have made their position abundantly clear. While somewhat passive in the past, for me those days are gone. I will take up arms before I stipulate away another of my Constitutional Rights abridged!

Posted by: steek65 | January 8, 2009 8:42 PM    Report this comment

Obama's statements during and after the election shows that he has the same contempt for the truth as "Teflon Bill". Strange they take an OATH to support the Constitution then quickly forget what it states! Sounds like violation of oath to me.

Posted by: johnlaw | January 8, 2009 5:55 PM    Report this comment

Honestly, if they find the time to tighten firearms legisaltion, there should be a million Americans march. With all of the major issues facing our country and world right now, our officials, elected and otherwise, shouldn't be getting distracted by special interest agendas. For instance, nearly 8 years after terrorist attacks highlighted grossly defeicient immigration policies, there has been no real reform.

Posted by: PVB | January 8, 2009 4:05 PM    Report this comment

I was hoping for a little more information than just an online poll.

Posted by: JIM T | January 8, 2009 1:14 PM    Report this comment

I am bored that hard working law abiding citizens have to fear their government.

Posted by: Robert J | January 8, 2009 12:44 PM    Report this comment

There are several states already trying to pass state laws that require individual bullet ID. I'd bet the first action will be to tax ammo and firearms, greatly, using the logic that these are luxury items. Next, they will go with the Clinton gun ban...expanded, and then over time like warming up the public in a bowl of soup, they will try to make all guns illegal except maybe single shot shotguns. Watch and see. Dave in Texas

Posted by: dgray64 | January 8, 2009 11:42 AM    Report this comment

I believe it is proper reasoning, just late. This administration, I truly believe, will determine whether or not we remain a single nation.

Posted by: Tim C | January 8, 2009 10:42 AM    Report this comment

Gee, an online survey. How scientific. Anyone else bored with all the fear mongering yet? Yawn...

Posted by: August | January 8, 2009 9:14 AM    Report this comment

You can bet on this happening...The new administration is a carbon copy of Clinton's, complete with some of the same bad actors!

Posted by: LFTIGER | January 8, 2009 9:07 AM    Report this comment