October 12, 2009

Car Consoles Are 'Cases' in Illinois

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. -- Last week the Illinois Supreme Court issued a unanimous opinion in People v. Diggins, in which a car glovebox was ruled to be a "case" when transporting guns.

The ruling is important because gunowners carrying a gun in a car container won't be guilty of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon if that weapon is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card.

The Supreme Court held that the center console in a motor vehicle is a "case," which means it falls under exemption language regarding transportation of firearms.

People v. Diggins

An Important Note for GunReports.Com Readers:

Our goal on this website is to foster a free expression of views while reining in language that crosses the line of civil discourse. Accordingly, the comments areas are intended to expand the knowledge of all users of this site. But site administrators wish to discourage the use of profanity, insults, disrespect, the advocacy of lawlessness, violence or sedition, or attempts to impinge on the rights of others.

While GunReports.Com encourages robust discourse that furthers our understanding of all the issues affecting gun owners, comments that break GunReports.Com’s rules will be removed. In addition, we reserve the right to edit or delete individual comments, and in extreme cases, to ban commenters at our discretion.

--Tim Cole
Publisher, GunReports.Com

NOT JUST ILLINOIS BETTER CHECK FED/REG AND HOW
THEY AFFECT YOUR RIGHT TO CARRY AND HOW THE AFFECT YOUR RIGHTS WITH MINOR CHILDREN

Posted by: BONNER | October 19, 2009 10:00 PM    Report this comment

I live in St. Louis, Mo. I have friends in IL.
does that mean even I can transport my 9mm or 40 cal. pistol to go see friend's if I have it locked in the box beside me?

Posted by: Ernie | October 17, 2009 7:59 PM    Report this comment

Lot of nice gun manufacturers in IL.
Springfield Armory,
Rock River Arms,
Armalite,
D.S. Arms,
Ealge Arms,
Les Baer Customs - oops left IL, moved across the river to IA

Unfortunately, IL is one of the most restrictive gun law states in the entire United States.

Posted by: CAR311 | October 16, 2009 10:33 AM    Report this comment

I live in Tennessee;If you have a carry permit you can have a loaded weapon in your glove box, on the seat, on your hip, it does not matter. If you don,t have a permit you can,t have a loaded weapon anywhere in your vehicle but unloaded, again; It does not matter. In TN it is not a crime to transport a weapon from one place to another.

Posted by: CLEAT | October 16, 2009 2:41 AM    Report this comment

What good is a 9mm in the glove box with the mag in the trunk? Let me see, hey thug, wait just a sec while I get into the trunk for my magazine, then we'll see who's car you are going to steal. ha ! Might as well just give these criminals the keys so you can comply with Illinois gun laws. I don't know anyone that carries without having the ammo handy but any law that lets us have a gun in the car is a start. I wonder if a mag on the visor would suffice?

Posted by: Sharps | October 15, 2009 10:41 PM    Report this comment

Don't forget DSA. They make one of the best .308 sport utility rifles in the world.

Posted by: Lee W | October 15, 2009 5:48 PM    Report this comment

Many of you are well aware of my experiences in transporting firearms through Illinois. Fortunately, I was able to rationalize my way out of trouble with a reasonably intelligent, semi-conservative state trooper. I know that many others have had far less success in talking their way out of trouble in Illinois.
I have provided testimonials to the Illinois State Rifle Association to assist in their quest to bring democracy to their troubled land. In the mean time, I avoid entering that state, and I don't spend money in Illinois. I do, however, make allowances for purchasing some products that are sold from businesses in
that totalitarian state.....Springfield Armory comes to mind.

Posted by: canovack | October 15, 2009 12:55 PM    Report this comment

NOT JUST ILLINOIS BETTER CHECK FED/REG AND HOW

Posted by: BONNER | October 15, 2009 11:00 AM    Report this comment

Yes, this is Illinois! The Land of Lincoln! The mayor of Chicago, MAJOR R Daley, runs this STATE with a few of his liberal crooked cronies. In CROOK County (Cook) murders by the dozen, monthly. Law abiding citizens need FOID cards, FELONEY charges-unless your firearm is "broken" down, unloaded and in a "case", trigger locks, and gun bans (that case now going to the USSC)! The ISRA has been able to include wording to allow law-abiding citizens some "freedom" to have a firearm near us while bad guys have firearms 24/7. Join the NRA, GOA, and your state organization even if you live in a free state. Realize that some of us are still in a controlled society - paying a high price for staying here to keep the fight on-going to win our freedom!

Posted by: Dispatch | October 15, 2009 9:16 AM    Report this comment

Wow! "Car container", "aggravated unlawful use of a weapon", "Firearms Owner's Id card"?!? What commie country is that?
"Colorado allows a person to carry a firearm in a vehicle, loaded or unloaded" the car is the "case".
Dean P.

Posted by: deanpf | October 15, 2009 8:02 AM    Report this comment

Two or three full magazines, seperated from the pistol would be legal as well?
Mike H.