April 18, 2011

Kansas Concealed Carry Permit Holders Exempt from NICS Check

(GunReports.com) -- On April 8, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) issued a letter to all Kansas Federal Firearm Licensed (FFL) dealers informing them that a valid Kansas concealed carry permit may be used as an alternative to an inquiry of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) for the purchase or transfer of a firearm.

All individuals who apply for or renew a concealed carry permit must undergo a NICS inquiry. Exempting valid concealed carry permit holders will alleviate the redundancy of having to go through NICS for every firearm purchase or transfer from a gun dealer.

This saves dealers and their customers time and decreases the administrative costs of NICS itself.

This victory is the direct result of last session’s NRA-backed Senate Bill 306 being enacted. This monumental reform made a number of significant changes to Kansas’ right-to-carry laws, to not only streamline the concealed carry process, but to meet the federal requirements under U.S.C. § 922(t)(3) and 27 C.F.R. § 478.102(d), which now allow concealed carry permit holders to be exempt from a redundant NICS background check. After the enactment of this legislation, the state legislature sent a letter to BATFE informing them of these changes and requesting a formal review which brought about this recent decision.

Thank you to all those who contacted their legislators and the Governor during the process last year that led to this policy victory.

Vis - lol!

Posted by: PVB | April 25, 2011 7:46 PM    Report this comment

As a firearms dealer I can say for all of us in Florida we would love to have them do away with the NICS call in's. I personally would rather sell you a gun or just talk guns with you than spend 5 to 25 minutes with a cell phone stuck to my ear only to get cut off by a bad cell tower.

Posted by: pastpar | April 25, 2011 7:02 PM    Report this comment

Come on, PVB, logic and common sense from the BATmen (or any other federal agency)? I suspect that this response may have been written by someone about ready to retire or someone too new not to have been inculcated fully with the bureaucrat's creed "This land is our land, this land's not your land...."

Posted by: Visigoth52 | April 23, 2011 8:32 AM    Report this comment

Mississippi has this in place for a while now. 4473 filled out and filed but not called in.

Posted by: dirt | April 21, 2011 6:36 PM    Report this comment

David - Amen!

I'm a little worried though, this sounds like common sense emanating from the BATFE...

Posted by: PVB | April 21, 2011 4:10 PM    Report this comment

I live in Florida and have had a CWP for a number of years now and have always had my gun purchases called into NICS. I sure wish that Florida would follow suit with Kansas. I am tired of all of the beuracracy and money involved with something that is protected by our constitution. When will WE start pressing home the part of the second ammendment which states, "shall NOT be infringed"?! I mean, what does it take for something to be considered an infringement nowadays?

Posted by: Seminole1 | April 21, 2011 1:46 PM    Report this comment

Since Texas started "shall issue" CHL in 1996, and as one of the first to have one, I have never had my purchases called in to NICS. It certainly doe make for less hassle when purchasing firearms. Of course, we will never see the end of the BATFE Form 4473.....

Posted by: canovack | April 21, 2011 12:28 PM    Report this comment

I suppose for KS it's an improvement. But as we already have the Second Amendment, I'd prefer to see every state in the union selling guns the way they sell hammers - pick the one you want and pay at the register, no permits, no NICS, nada . "Thanks for shopping here, have a nice day sir and come back soon."

Posted by: david b | April 21, 2011 12:27 PM    Report this comment

I think it just means it doesn't have to be called in. In SC, I still have to fill out the form but with my CWP they don't have to call it into NICS

Posted by: enbarnes | April 21, 2011 11:39 AM    Report this comment

Arkansas has this. I haven't had an NICS check in years. Walk in, fill out form, pay up, walk out. But I hate filling out the form.

Posted by: Lee W | April 21, 2011 10:44 AM    Report this comment

I certainly hope it extends to other states, including mine! :-)

Posted by: mookien | April 21, 2011 10:34 AM    Report this comment

It would be great for Tennessee also. Any thoughts on how to get this to states other than Kansas would be appreciated.

Posted by: TNDirector | April 21, 2011 10:32 AM    Report this comment

Does this mean that perhaps other states will follow suit? I don't suppose there is any chance that perhaps BATFE will actually expand this to all states that have Concealed Carry.

Posted by: claytong | April 21, 2011 9:15 AM    Report this comment