November 3, 2010

Kel-Tec Issues PMR-30 Status Update Statement

(GunReports.com) -- Kel-Tec recently released this statement on problems with the PMR-30:

There has been a lot of discussion on just what the heck the hold up is on the PMR-30. We have made a few statements on our Facebook page, but obviously that only addresses a small minority of our customers.

The PMR-30 was originally debuted at the 2010 SHOT in January of 2010. At that time we had several working prototypes, all of which were machined by hand one at a time. At SHOT we estimated a Q2 release on the PMR-30. This estimate was based on a variety of factors: lead time on material, tooling, operator's learning the parts, and post importantly the time it would take to translate the prototype design into full production programs. We honestly felt that Q2 would be a fairly easy target.

Kel-Tec says it underestimated the time it would take to get the production programming in place to run the PMR-30 at 500/week, thus causing shortages when the gun was first released.

Sadly, we underestimated the time it would take for us to get the production programming in place to run the PMR-30 at 500/week. Two months before our slated release, we saw that we most likely wouldn't get this pistol into full production by then. This is when we had to make an executive decision. We could either push back the release date until October/November, which we felt would anger and frustrate quite a lot of customers, or we could scramble and release the PMR-30 to the public in Q2 at limited production and just ship as many as we could until production finally got everything settled.

Obviously we chose the latter. This turned out to also spurn a lot of negativity as we certainly looked like liars for not getting the PMR-30 out on time, and also created a lot of frustration as PMR-30s were being shipped in small quantities, some of which showed up on places like gunbroker.com. This made it seem like the PMR-30 was available and at the same time impossible to get, which I suppose isn't too far from the truth.

We take completely responsibility for the PMR-30 not being as available as we wanted it to be, but it was either let a few people get them, or let no one get them. We are still evaluating whether or not we made the right choice.

Since that July release, we've slowly increased production from about 25/week to 150-250/week. It is still not at the quantities we need them to be, but that will come with time. In an ideal world we would have set the release at the end of October/early November and all of the production work going on would be done behind closed doors so to speak. We are reaping what we sowed, but are confident in our PMR-30 and production is confident we will be seeing full production numbers by that late October/early November time frame. We're already half-way there!

It should also be noted that the limited production is in no way related to any functional problems with the firearm and more based on efficient CNC programming to machine enough parts to create 500 PMR-30s every week in addition to the rest of our product line. It's a kind of balancing act.

We sincerely apologize for everyone who has been patient with us so far. We definitely understand the frustration and experience it just as much. We gain no benefit from keeping our customers from getting our products, so rest assured that we are doing everything in our power to get these great pistols to you!

All future product releases will reflect what we've learned through the PMR-30 release.

Hi, "AGAIN", I am still chasing the elusive PMR30,,,,,,,,but like my post of Nov 5th 2010 I am asking (pleading) that you do what FN did with the 5.7 and restrict the mags. to 15 or 10rds for States with restrictions. It would give you additional exposure to how ever more folks like me that would "really like" to own one. Please, Please pretty please. thanks poppie927,,,,,PS.,,,,,,I REALLY WANT ONE.

Posted by: PATRICK M | September 6, 2013 11:04 AM    Report this comment

Looking for Kel-Tec PMR30

Posted by: camrich | March 6, 2011 8:05 AM    Report this comment

Like "muleman" I'll wait to see a test of an off the shelf model. I saw my first one 11-3-10 and was not thrilled. It appears to be a piece of plastic with attractive colorfull sights and the smallist diameter barrel I have ever seen on any firearm. The dealer thought it had to be plastic or a ceramic alloy of some sort to the point of putting a magnet to it. It does have steel in it. I'm going to wait for the six inch model with adjustable sights before I buy one. Oh yeah on the positive side it had a great trigger-no takeup, low poundage pull. This one could've been one of the hand built ones. Maybe I should've bought it afterall.If nothing else it could be a collectors item soon!

Posted by: REX R. | November 5, 2010 7:06 PM    Report this comment

I guess I'm the lucky one. I recieved my PMR-30 last week. I have found as with most all other modern firearms the accuracy of the gun and the ammo far exceeds my capabilites to place it accurately downrange. I put 300 rounds through this in the last 2 trips to the range,used the mfg recomended ammo (CCI 40 grain) and have had 0 malfunctions. Nice gun. It would be nice to see an asist built into the magazine, but what the hell do ya need 30 rounds for any way?

Posted by: Revroll | November 5, 2010 3:10 PM    Report this comment

I've read a few range reports online... one worked well and the other two were jam-o-matics and went straight back to Kel-Tec.

"You get what ya' pay for" still rings true.

Posted by: RackEmPunk | November 5, 2010 1:36 PM    Report this comment

Hi, like david b,,,I had the money saved but my problem was not the wait for availability, but due to the fact that my home state New Jersey has a fifteen round limit magazine capacity I will not be able to get one anyway because Kel Tec advised me they do not plan to offer a reduced capacity mag.,,,,,bummer.pat m.

Posted by: PATRICK M | November 5, 2010 1:07 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: PATRICK M | November 5, 2010 1:07 PM    Report this comment

I've not yet seen a shooters report on the PMR-30. If there's one out there, where can I find it?

Posted by: Muleman | November 5, 2010 12:27 PM    Report this comment

Well .... every report or video I've seen on this gun has me questioning its accuracy. Seems like the big appeal of this gun seems to be the high capacity and ability to let a lot of rounds off quickly. Not what I'm looking for.

Posted by: Jay L | November 4, 2010 8:22 PM    Report this comment

I had the money saved but couldn't get one, so I spent it on something else. Now they'll be out for 6 months before I can afford one again. Sorry, Kel-Tec, I had to wait too long for your pistol so now you have to wait to sell me one.

Posted by: david b | November 4, 2010 7:27 PM    Report this comment

Yes that is a refreshingly candid statement.

Ruger is another one that jumps the gun (no pun intended) on releasing product before it's ready for prime time. Seems like the introduction of almost every new handgun is followed by a recall.

Posted by: Dulrug | November 4, 2010 4:26 PM    Report this comment

I like their candor! Frankly, I'm kind of glad they are behind - one less temptation....

Posted by: PVB | November 4, 2010 2:26 PM    Report this comment

This is the exact opposite corporate business model from Microsoft, who rushed their product out, half-finished, with great fanfare, only to let the customers do the beta-testing. Good for KelTec.

Posted by: Lee W | November 3, 2010 4:08 PM    Report this comment