February 23, 2009

Montana Lawmakers Approve Bill to Skip Firearms Reporting Transactions

HELENA, Mont. — The Associated Press reports that Montana lawmakers letting some Montana gun owners and dealers skip reporting their transactions to the federal government.

Under House Bill 246, firearms made in Montana and used in Montana would be exempt from federal regulation. The same would be true for firearm accessories and ammunition made and sold in the state.

The House voted 64-36 for the bill. If it clears a final vote, the measure will go to the Senate.

“What we need here is for Montana to be able to handle Montana’s business and affairs,” Republican Rep. Joel Boniek told fellow lawmakers Saturday.

Boniek’s measure aims to circumvent federal authority over interstate commerce, which is the legal basis for most gun regulation in the United States.

The bill potentially could release Montanans from both federal gun registration requirements and dealership licensing rules. Since the state has no background-check laws on its own books, the legislation also could free gun purchasers from that requirement.

“Firearms are inextricably linked to the history and culture of Montana, and I’d like to support that,” Boniek said. “But I want to point out that the issue here is not about firearms. It’s about state rights.”

My memory goes back to when I was a 17 year old Infantryman on routine patrol in this straw field on Fort Drum soil near the Canadian border when our squad stumbled across this white gable framed home. I focused my naked eyes on the picture window and observed a middle aged woman watching television in a well lit living room. I remember feeling that she was vulnerable to a possible threat 75 yards away and didn't have a clue. That’s when I realized how vulnerable civilians are when they carry out their normal day to day routines. The image only lasted a minute or two but it was a powerful image that stayed with me during military exercises from that evening forward. I knew what I was training for and it drove me to excel where others chose to approach in a mediocre manner. After reading about Ruby Ridge and the actions of Lon Horiuchy, I realized that if I were giving the same scenario, I would have under moral obligation to myself and country, lower my weapon and negate a discharge.

Posted by: JWallace | March 6, 2009 1:05 PM    Report this comment

I never could, and I never will be able to justify, forgive, or forget what the BATF and the FBI did at Waco and Ruby Ridge. It is my personal opinion that both actions were unconstitutional, illegal, immoral, and unfathomably evil. The sniper of Ruby Ridge, Lon Horiuchi, murderer of Vicky Weaver and her 14 year-old son, is still at large, and still employed by the FBI. Pure, emotionless, souless evil.

It's in the Liberal Dictionary:

compound: (n) Any building surrounded by a fence, owned by someone holding political or religious views with which you disagree.

Posted by: Gaviota | March 3, 2009 10:48 PM    Report this comment

I'm not a fan of bumper stickers but that statement sure is funny. I think that anytime your views and opinions aren't main stream, you are considered mad (crazy). Two stories that stuck in my mind were Ruby Ridge and Waco. How do you justify the use of armored vehicles and snipers to disarm civilians?

Posted by: JWallace | March 3, 2009 12:02 AM    Report this comment

I remember a few years ago, there were two stories in the news. One was the outbreak of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (mad cow disease) in Britain, and the other was the FBI siege of the Montana Freemen(?) who threatened judges, stopped paying taxes, and holed up in a compound. They were widely ridiculed as a bunch of right-wing nutcases. A popular bumper sticker at that time read: Welcome to Montana! At least our cows aren't mad.

Posted by: Gaviota | March 1, 2009 7:55 PM    Report this comment

We welcome your honest and heartfelt comments on GunReports.com. But
we can't allow threatening comments on the site. We don't want to
delete your rhetoric, but if it crosses the line of advocating
illegal actions, threatens people or groups with violence, or attacks
other commenters, then we'll remove such language asap. Admin.

Posted by: woody-dingo | March 1, 2009 3:53 PM    Report this comment

God bless Montana, they have the guts to stand up against those who would turn our beloved country into a police state.

"the tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of Patriots and tyrants alike"
-Thomas jefferson

Posted by: LAiglon | March 1, 2009 3:39 PM    Report this comment

Remember, also, that recently Gov. Schweitzer suggested that Montana would exercise its right to succede from the Union if the Fed implemented a National ID Program.

Posted by: `` | March 1, 2009 1:08 AM    Report this comment

I've dreamed of having a cabin in Montana and the state has always been on my list to visit. It appears that I will have to work towards making it happen this Summer. Gotta love their stand towards the FEDs.

Posted by: JWallace | February 28, 2009 11:19 PM    Report this comment

Roger B. Don't you mean One out of "57"? I mean, if Obama says we've got 57 then it must be right. John C

Posted by: nvjc | February 27, 2009 10:20 PM    Report this comment

What are the benefits to us in Montana for belonging to the United States ??

Tom

Posted by: `` | February 27, 2009 7:10 PM    Report this comment

Its not cold here. It is all relative.
35 above, CA are freezing to death. Montanas are have the last BBQ before it gets cold
Minus 20, life stops in FL, Montanas let the dog sleep inside at night. It is great here!!!

Posted by: edwinc1415 | February 27, 2009 4:00 PM    Report this comment

I moved to Montana two years ago because of Montana's independence and anti-federal government politics.

Posted by: `` | February 26, 2009 8:54 PM    Report this comment

I sure wish these morons in Calif would follow Montanas idea and then maybe we wouldnt have so many problems with gangs and lawlessness.

Posted by: bear1 | February 26, 2009 7:30 PM    Report this comment

Montana. One out of 50. It's a good beginning.

Posted by: ROGER B | February 26, 2009 6:20 PM    Report this comment

Yup. I just had to re-read "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross.

Posted by: oldtimer | February 26, 2009 3:19 PM    Report this comment

I think it is time for the states to take over governing the people! After all, they are a lot closer to the people that they are making the laws for! Maybe they will listen... after all it seems as if the people in Washington have forgotten how to listen!

Posted by: jinxedjohn | February 26, 2009 11:23 AM    Report this comment

It is past time for people to get some BACKBONE and tell the federal government to BUTTOUT. HOORAY MONTANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Jayr | February 26, 2009 11:08 AM    Report this comment

Just when I thought the concept of 'State's Rights' was dead along comes Montana. Right now!

I believe they did comply with the 55mph law but, until very recently, the fine for speeding was only $5.

Posted by: MARK W | February 26, 2009 8:39 AM    Report this comment

amen brother. montana where men are men and sheep well they live in washington d.c.

Posted by: pa-cman | February 25, 2009 9:08 PM    Report this comment

I LOVE MONTANA! If it wasn't so dang cold there in the winter, I'd move there in a heartbeat. These are the same people who told Jimmy Carter where he could shove his 55 mph speed limit, and when they were threatened with loss of federal highway funds if they didn't comply, they sued, didn't comply, and got the funds anyway. Is Montana the last refuge of the true American rugged individualist?

Posted by: Gaviota | February 23, 2009 8:22 PM    Report this comment