July 18, 2009

National Carry Reciprocity Vote Scheduled for Monday

WASHINGTON, D.C. (July 17, 2009)-- The Gun Owners of America reported last week that Senators John Thune and David Vitter have sponsored S. 845, a bill that will establish concealed carry reciprocity in several states.

Senators Thune and Vitter offered the bill as an amendment (#1618) to the Department of Defense authorization bill (H.R. 2647).

This provision will use the constitutional authority (Article IV) allowing Congress to enforce "full faith and credit" across the country, so that each state respects the "public acts, records, and judicial proceedings" of every other state.

The Thune/Vitter legislation would protect the right of any U.S. citizen to carry out of state (regardless of whether he possesses a permit), as long as he is authorized to carry in his home state.  This is important because of states like Vermont and Alaska, where residents can carry concealed without prior approval or permission from the state.

The Senate is scheduled to vote on the measure on Monday evening, July 20.

Predictably, gun-confiscation groups reacted against the amendment.

"We urge Senators Schumer and Gillibrand to issue a clear statement to their constituents and colleagues that 'Enough is Enough' by voting NO on this amendment and filibustering it if necessary. This dangerous legislation contains provisions that eviscerate New York's ability to properly protect its citizens and puts children, families and law enforcement at grave risk from encounters with armed individuals from out of state who carry deadly firearms in public," said Jackie Hilly, Executive Director of NYAGV. "New Yorkers were horrified when the gun lobby enacted an amendment to the credit card reform legislation and permitted the carrying of concealed weapons in our National Parks. This amendment is a completely unrelated and radical gun lobby amendment, and it must be stopped for the sake of the country's public safety."

Wordenwolf,
I can remember conversing with a gun salesman in North Dakota over not being able to purchase and walk out of the store with a 44 magnum handgun. He informed me I could purchase a long gun and walk out of the store but the handgun would have to be shipped back to an FFL in my home state of Florida. I can't believe I pay an enormous amount of taxes for some morons to make up these asinine laws. The gun salesman lost a sale.

Posted by: JWallace | July 21, 2009 6:58 PM    Report this comment

I know you did Arkie, I was actually surprised that our Shakespeare/Historian overlooked that fact. ;) I'm also reminded of the mindset of most folks in the city when work requires that I drive to Long Island. 1.5 hours to travel a distance of 1.5 miles because some people think their time is more valuable than mine. I move over to the exit lane 2 miles prior to my exit and others cut-in at the exit which blocks up the exit lane and their lane. People react by shifting over to the left and cause a delay in that lane as well. It's mind boggling to me that they cause their own problems.

Posted by: JWallace | July 21, 2009 5:42 PM    Report this comment

You're right, Jeff. Like a lot of people, I forget that "New York" means a lot more than the City.

Posted by: Lee W | July 21, 2009 4:26 PM    Report this comment

Try to remember that 1/3rd of Revoultionary War Battles occurred on NY soil. Remember Saratoga? It's about time some common sense legislation makes it to the house floor. Liberals in NYC seem to think they represent the entire State. New York City has the populous to control who represents the State but their views do not match those from Central or Upstate. There's bones of Revolutionary War Heros buried in the Hills.

Posted by: JWallace | July 21, 2009 11:04 AM    Report this comment

How can a person coming into New York with a concealed weapons license be any threat to anyone in New York accept the potential criminal waiting to rob him? I love how liberals use children has human shields. Come to think of it Arab terroists also do that. I guess you have to when you run out of rational arguement.

Posted by: Robert J | July 20, 2009 6:56 AM    Report this comment

I will never understand the lack of common sense and the unwarrented fear of people like Jackie Hilly. What makes the people think that because I leave my home state I will become a homicidle maniac? I have gone thru all the background checks for my CWP and FFL, and am a veteran of the Marine Corp., not some nut with a gun. As a law abiding citizen with no criminal background or intent, I believe this bill is a great idea.

Posted by: William D | July 19, 2009 4:53 PM    Report this comment

I just read the up-coming bill in the commentary section. I look forward to reading more! Thanks,Paul

Posted by: 40ford | July 18, 2009 11:06 PM    Report this comment

You gotta love them leftists. It's one of their most-used arguments:

New Yorker: "You have to have a license to drive, so you should have to get a license to have a gun."

Arkie: Fine. I have a license to drive in Arkansas. My Ark. DL is good in New York because under the authority of Article IV of the Constitution, Congress enforces "full faith and credit" across the country, so that New York has to respect the "public acts, records, and judicial proceedings" of the State of Arkansas.

New Yorker: That's fine. All Ark. drivers licenses are good in NY.

Arkie: I have an Ark. Concealed Handgun License. Under the authority of Article IV of the Constit...

New Yorker: WHAT! OHMYGOD! NONONONO!!! SAFETY, SECURITY, FAMILY, CHILDREN! WE'REALLGONNADIE!

Arkie: Hey, you said I should have a licence for my gun...

New Yorker: {running around in a tight little circle with fingers in ears} When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout! LALALALALALALALALA!

Arkie: I just can't talk to Yankees. I sure wish they'd learn to speak English.

Posted by: Lee W | July 18, 2009 5:30 PM    Report this comment

In my view this is a sensible bill. As a gun dealer in one state I can sell long guns to citizens of another state but not hand guns. This makes no sense to me when the citizen has a valid conceal carry permit from his/her home state. Even though I would lose income from gun transfers between states I think this is a good way to go.

Posted by: wordenwolf | July 18, 2009 1:44 PM    Report this comment

An Important Note for GunReports.Com Readers:

Our goal on this website is to foster a free expression of views while reining in language that crosses the line of civil discourse. Accordingly, the comments areas are intended to expand the knowledge of all users of this site. But site administrators wish to discourage the use of profanity, insults, disrespect, the advocacy of lawlessness, violence or sedition, or attempts to impinge on the rights of others.

While GunReports.Com encourages robust discourse that furthers our understanding of all the issues affecting gun owners, comments that break GunReports.Com’s rules will be removed. In addition, we reserve the right to edit or delete individual comments, and in extreme cases, to ban commenters at our discretion.

--Tim Cole