May 26, 2009

Plinking and Informal Target Shooting Top Popularity List

More than half of shooters went target shooting in the past month, and plinking or informal target shooting was by far the most popular activity, according to a recent survey. This held true whether the survey respondents were shooting rifles or handguns.

In the March 2009 survey from Southwick Associates, approximately 53% of shooters said they had gone target shooting in the past month. Among the target shooters, about 56% shot rifles and 51% shot handguns.

Whether they shot rifles or handguns, the majority of shooters (74% of rifle shooters and 77% of handgun shooters) engaged in plinking or informal target shooting. Only 8% of survey respondents who went target shooting engaged in competitive shooting activities.

Getting young people into the sport seems like the best bet for the future.

Posted by: Robert J | June 2, 2009 7:28 AM    Report this comment

Geometric1 I tried to find you every way I could through GunBroker and it kept saying no results. Maybe we can figure out another way, even though I am not real good with these computer gridders lol

Posted by: bear1 | May 31, 2009 9:53 PM    Report this comment

Bear...look for me on GunBroker.com...my sellers name is geometric1...I have a Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro for sale on there. If you have browsed and are a member of the site just go to semi auto pistol and type in Millennium Pro...you'll find me and you can send me an e-mail there...and we'll see what we can do.

Kindest Regards...

In God We Trust....

Posted by: Geometric1 | May 31, 2009 4:14 PM    Report this comment

We all know centerfire ammo is hard to get..So I'm loading up on shotgun ammo. Its still fairly cheap and available.

Posted by: GARRETT G B | May 31, 2009 8:13 AM    Report this comment

A few years ago we had a attempted home invasion by local gang bangers. Thanks to my M1 carbine and my 1911 they did not succeed. Gangbangers 0, armed home owner 2. No charges were filed and the attempt at as civil lawsuit by the thugs family were laughed out of court. But, this is the South. In Massachusetts or other northern states, I would be in prison . God bless the USA,even the yankee states. Smile. Raptor

Posted by: raptor | May 31, 2009 5:47 AM    Report this comment

You left the most important info on the Futon M1 carbine out. The price.

Posted by: raptor | May 31, 2009 5:37 AM    Report this comment

Geometric I would like to get about 1,000 rounds of each if I knew how we could do it with out coasting a arm and leg.

Posted by: bear1 | May 30, 2009 10:50 PM    Report this comment

Hey guys...I have over 25,000 rounds of .22 LR and 10 or 12,000 rounds of .22 mag...need some ...let me know...

I God We Trust...

Posted by: Geometric1 | May 30, 2009 10:40 PM    Report this comment

Right now .22s are king. A well placed shot will do the job.

Posted by: GARRETT G B | May 30, 2009 10:49 AM    Report this comment

I wish I could keep taking my grandkids and others out shooting our .22s but here in commiforinia we are have big problems finding even .22 ammo, even Wal Mart has rashioned it to 3 boxes of 50 rounds per custormer when they can get it.

Posted by: bear1 | May 28, 2009 9:26 PM    Report this comment

Charles, you're absolutely right. I'm going into town tomorrow and pick up a couple of bricks of .22, and start teaching some kids to shoot. I have a Chipmunk rifle and a S&W M64 Kit gun that are perfectly sized for 8 or 9 year olds, and my grandkids have lots of friends. Maybe I can do a little politicking and teach a few parents, too.
Guess it's time to get off my duff and practice what I preach.

Posted by: Lee W | May 28, 2009 8:32 PM    Report this comment

Getting new shooters out is easiest with 22 rifle and pistols. The ammo's cheap and with basically no recoil they can just enjoy themselves.

I'll agree that I'm not shooting much centerfire ammo myself. But the rimfires are still getting a workout.

Charles

Posted by: CHARLES B | May 28, 2009 5:32 PM    Report this comment

The only shooting I have been doing is to sight in or hunting right now. But I am going to take the Mrs out so she can get use to her new shotgun and renew her rifle and handgun profisancy but will use as little ammo as possable at this time. Just gettin ready for the you know what to hit the fan.

Posted by: bear1 | May 28, 2009 1:59 PM    Report this comment

"...less than three years..."

Agreed. I've noticed much LESS shooting in my area---it seems that nobody want to waste their ammo on paper targets.

Posted by: RackEmPunk | May 28, 2009 10:45 AM    Report this comment

If, as I suspect, the US is going to collapse into riots and insurrections in less than 3 years, I'm going to start encouraging people to take up shooting, and especially teach noobs to be competent gun-handlers.

Take a newbie shooting! We're gonna need all the help we can get!

Posted by: Lee W | May 26, 2009 4:38 PM    Report this comment