September 8, 2009

SIG SAUER Gives $200 Cash for Klunker Handguns

EXETER, NH — SIG SAUER's new Cash for Your Klunker Handgun program rebates $200 to shooters who buy new P220, P226, P229, 1911, SIG556 pistol, or SIG556 rifle from your dealer’s inventory from Sept. 7 through Nov. 30th, 2009.

To receive the $200 payment, shooters send in old pistols or revolvers, a copy of a form 4473, and proof of purchase of the new SIG SAUER firearm no later than Friday, Dec. 4, 2009.

To qualify as a Klunker, the handgun can be from any manufacturer, but must be operational and free from cracks in the frame or other key components. The Klunker must be a semi-automatic pistol 9mm or larger, or a revolver of .38 caliber or larger.

SIG SAUER

SIG SAUER

An Important Note for GunReports.Com Readers:

Our goal on this website is to foster a free expression of views while reining in language that crosses the line of civil discourse. Accordingly, the comments areas are intended to expand the knowledge of all users of this site. But site administrators wish to discourage the use of profanity, insults, disrespect, the advocacy of lawlessness, violence or sedition, or attempts to impinge on the rights of others.

While GunReports.Com encourages robust discourse that furthers our understanding of all the issues affecting gun owners, comments that break GunReports.Com’s rules will be removed. In addition, we reserve the right to edit or delete individual comments, and in extreme cases, to ban commenters at our discretion.

--Tim Cole
Publisher, GunReports.Com

KEEP THE GUNS!!. We are headed into the Wiemar Republic era of American politics and $200 will just be a down payment on Gaviota's .38 Derringer door stop. By the way,I am wondering what one of my Browning over / unders will cost in Amero's? Semper Fi

Posted by: Sharps | September 17, 2009 10:40 AM    Report this comment

Nice comment RK. I will never experience the passing along of a handgun or rifle because my father didn't purchase lethal weapons. Remember everything in life is time stamped. On this day my dad purchased this handgun for this reason. Keepsakes are a piece of history. Gaviota, I would be practicing the coin flip while standing in front of the 38 Special. Keep tossing the coin in the air until you can count the number of times it rotates as well as heads or tails. Then I would approach your brother again with the challenge. If I was your brother I would swap the guns every year on your dad's birthday.

Posted by: JWallace | September 11, 2009 10:14 PM    Report this comment

I can only hope you're right Jeff. When I first got it, I didn't think it was even worth the effort to clean it. Now, maybe it has some sentimental value. I have it on my workbench propped up right in front of my dad's funeral announcement.

My brother still has the Gold Cup. Maybe he'll sell it to me one of these days.

Posted by: Lee W | September 10, 2009 11:57 AM    Report this comment

The amjority of those using this "buy back" are probably the holders of stolen weapons to begin with and, I doubt that Sig or any other group will check these weapons against all listings of stolen weapons back to the inception of such listings. I do have a couple (eligible weapons) that did not cost as much as the "buy back" but, they are much more valuable to me than a lousy $200.
I think anyone who goes with this is either a criminal or, has not the intelligence to own a "conforming" weapon to begin with

Posted by: gunnyg | September 10, 2009 9:35 AM    Report this comment

I agree with Jeff W. I have at least one door-stop of a gun inherited from my dad, along with some gems, and I won't give it up, simply because I know it's something he touched that I can now touch. Would not mind getting that $200 for a used Grendel sitting on the shelf, but .380 is not up there high enough.

Posted by: RK | September 10, 2009 9:22 AM    Report this comment

Gaviota, the 38 Special Derringer may prove it's worth some day. I'd just look at it and wonder what my dad saw in it. It could actually have some of your Dad's energy/spirit in it, which is what typically happens with personal possessions. You will never know unless something unusual happens. It wouldn't surprise me if you were to share an amazing story about that little handgun a few years from now. There's most likely a lesson in it for you.

Posted by: JWallace | September 9, 2009 9:34 PM    Report this comment

Dang. Now you tell me!

Posted by: Lee W | September 9, 2009 4:15 PM    Report this comment

Sig sent me this email last week, I had to laugh. There was alot of stipulations about the trade ins, doesn't sound like they are going to give anyone $200 for a $100 gun. Now if they could just get Obama to pay the $200. Gaviota, next time go for the best 2 out of 3!

Posted by: Robert J | September 9, 2009 7:34 AM    Report this comment

I'm not sure this offer will boost sales. the cheapest handgun I own is worth over $700.00

Posted by: JWallace | September 8, 2009 11:40 PM    Report this comment

There is one pistol in my safe that I would sell for $200, and in my defense, I didn't buy it. It was my late father's, and when he died my brother and I flipped a coin. My brother won, so I ended up with an FIE .38spl derringer POS, and he got the Colt .45 Gold Cup.

I can laugh about it now...

Posted by: Lee W | September 8, 2009 8:12 PM    Report this comment

Maybe I'm out of step, but I don't have any pistols or revolvers in my safe that I would sell for $200. But I do give credit to Sig for a neat concept.

Posted by: jimslack | September 8, 2009 5:54 PM    Report this comment