August 24, 2009

Do Travel Writers Who Hate the 2nd Amendment Disturb You? Then Consider Skipping ‘Frommer’ Destinations

The travel writer Arthur Frommer has authored dozens of Frommer’s Travel Guides, and he writes a blog called Arthur Frommer Online.

Now he’s trying to organize a boycott of Arizona’s travel industry because he disagrees with its gun laws.

Arthur Frommer

The question is, should gunowners all organize a boycott of Frommer and his advertisers until his media intimidation is ended?

In a blog entry on August 18, he asks the rhetorical question:

Do Guns at Political Events Disturb You? Then Consider Skipping Arizona for Now

He goes on to write, “I am not yet certain whether I would advocate a travel boycott by others of the state of Arizona; I want to learn more about Arizona's gun laws and how they compare with those of other states. But I am shocked beyond measure by reports that earlier this week, nearly a dozen persons, including one with an assault rifle strapped about his shoulders and others with pistols in their hands or holsters, were openly congregating outside a hall at which President Obama was speaking to the Veterans of Foreign Wars.”

And this: “For myself, without yet suggesting that others follow me in an open boycott, I will not personally travel in a state where civilians carry loaded weapons onto the sidewalks and as a means of political protest. I not only believe such practices are a threat to the future of our democracy, but I am firmly convinced that they would also endanger my own personal safety there. And therefore I will cancel any plans to vacation or otherwise visit in Arizona until I learn more. And I will begin thinking about whether tourists should safeguard themselves by avoiding stays in Arizona.”

Then he adds: “I would feel as I do regardless of the political identity of the speaker whom these thugs attempted to intimidate. The continued tolerance of extremists carrying guns is a frightening development which strikes at the heart of the political process and endangers the ability to carry out a reasoned debate. Is there any responsible citizen of the United States who believes that people should carry guns to a public debate or speech? If Ronald Reagan were delivering a political talk in Phoenix, Arizona, would they have felt it was proper for protestors with guns to mill about outside the hall from which he would leave?”

And in conclusion, he says, “I'd appreciate hearing your comments. The question is, should we all organize a travel boycott of Arizona until this tolerance of armed intimidation is ended, probably by an act of the Arizona legislature?”

From our perspective, we instead say, “GunReports.com is not yet certain whether we would advocate a boycott by others of Arthur Frommer’s writings and guidebooks about travel. We want to learn more about his biased views of people who defend their constitutional rights and how they compare with those of other travel writers. But we are shocked beyond measure that he asserts that travelers should avoid a low-crime state such as Arizona simply because its citizens demonstrate their constitutional freedoms.”

An Important Note for GunReports.Com Readers:

Our goal on this website is to foster a free expression of views while reining in language that crosses the line of civil discourse. Accordingly, the comments areas are intended to expand the knowledge of all users of this site. But site administrators wish to discourage the use of profanity, insults, disrespect, the advocacy of lawlessness, violence or sedition, or attempts to impinge on the rights of others.

While GunReports.Com encourages robust discourse that furthers our understanding of all the issues affecting gun owners, comments that break GunReports.Com’s rules will be removed. In addition, we reserve the right to edit or delete individual comments, and in extreme cases, to ban commenters at our discretion.

--Tim Cole
Publisher, GunReports.Com

Hold on. Last time I checked it is America and we do have the right to state our beliefs. It has not (pretty close) yet sunk to a dictatorship. Under Bush/Chaney junta I know dissent was not tolerated but that was an aberration. Just because Frommer says it it aint so. OK So what, boycotting states that allow Concealed Carry. ooooh! big deal. Take off your panties and act like men and pity the man. No need for name-calling just brings you down to the Anti's level...

Posted by: philbo1311 | September 24, 2009 12:51 PM    Report this comment

Arizona, like our other states, has done it's part to stimulate the economy. Gun sales are up a staggering amount. This means income and therefore taxes.What better way to stimulate the economy than to generate tax revenue? You liberals should be glad we 2nd Amendment folks are adding to the coffers. Now ,if you liberals could just be as cautious spending our tax dollars as we are with our GUNS, we could all sing "hallelujah".!!

Posted by: Sharps | September 5, 2009 9:32 PM    Report this comment

He's worried about "extremists carrying guns?" Like maybe normal, law-abiding citizens? Maybe he should be more worried about the felons, gang bangers, criminals that are carrying guns. Maybe he would just feel safer in his state of NJ if he just stayed indoors and if something happened to him, he could call 911 and maybe the police would be there in 20 minutes to save him. Or maybe not.

Posted by: John B | August 28, 2009 8:33 PM    Report this comment

So you're automatically an "extremist" if you bring a firearm to a political event featuring a Democrat. Probably the only guy that could show up with a gun that might actually "...endanger (his) own personal safety" would be Dick Cheney.

Posted by: Dulrug | August 28, 2009 5:32 PM    Report this comment

That reminds me. Need to buy more powder.

Posted by: Lee W | August 28, 2009 12:03 PM    Report this comment

Well "bear1" I hope it doesn't come to that but if it does we should all be keeping our powder dry.

Posted by: mytea2 | August 28, 2009 11:19 AM    Report this comment

I guess, that is if I ever this disabled ol vet., ever gets a chance and can aford a vacation, after the Government gets done with health care and all its spending of our money, I will take the Mrs to Az. and take my twin set of Ruger Vaquaros and holsters with me.
God Bless America and Our Troops Past, Present and Future.
locked, Loaded and Keeping My Powder Dry

Posted by: bear1 | August 27, 2009 9:39 PM    Report this comment

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!!!! Stick with MSNBC.. laughing
Keep up the flow of genuine ideas Gaviota. Canovack has your 6. Semper Fi

Posted by: Sharps | August 27, 2009 9:21 PM    Report this comment

Frommer, like ALL Anti-gun libveral criminals, has perpetrated another half-truth and tried and succeeded with teh help of the mainstream media in making it the "gospel trith" of the incident in question. My undetrstanding of the situation is that there was also a gun show or anti anti-2nd amendment rally going on at the same or near the same time and place as the rally for the health care debacle. They know that the vast majority of people in this nation have not the willingness or even care to know truth, the whole truth, and will accept the lies and half-truths of the mainstream media as "gospel truth". We have become a nation of "Pansies" and as such so called security, actually submission or slavery, is the result.

Posted by: gunnyg | August 27, 2009 6:51 PM    Report this comment

I do believe I shall plan my next vacation to include the State of Arizona. I can't imagine a place I would feel any safer!

Posted by: Beatrice S | August 27, 2009 5:38 PM    Report this comment

I would say to Frommer, people were wearing guns before you were born - get over it! I will also boycott anything having to do with Frommer.

Posted by: Steve823 | August 27, 2009 3:10 PM    Report this comment

Bet he has never nor will ever write anything good about Alabama! Leh

Posted by: R. L. L | August 27, 2009 2:06 PM    Report this comment

Thanks for the kind words, mookien, and feel free to forward whatever you like whenever you think it will do some good.

Posted by: Lee W | August 27, 2009 12:39 PM    Report this comment

I guess that Frommer will have to change his name to Former

Posted by: Mister E | August 27, 2009 12:35 PM    Report this comment

Gaviota, it only takes a couple of sentences and I think, "That must be Gaviota". I glance down and "sho nuff" it is. You are a very good writer. I envy that talent. You must have creative writing in your background. At the risk of violating some copyright provision, I often send your comments to others or direct my friends to GR. Keep those notes coming!
Canovack, Thanks for the info. I also boycott GE and AARP. I did not know about the others. I'll keep an eye on them.

Posted by: mookien | August 27, 2009 11:45 AM    Report this comment

I'm old enough to remember when the Black Panthers marched into the California State House in Sacramento carrying rifles, shot guns and pistols to protest attempts to pass gun control laws in the 1960s. I supported the Panthers right to bear arms and I support those in Arizona who are doing so now. The issue is the same.

Posted by: Seiurep | August 27, 2009 11:29 AM    Report this comment

Each time I learn of a new business or an individual representing a business or corporation, who actively works in opposition to my Second Amendment rights, I add them to my list of Leftist Organizations to be Boycotted. On that list are such luminaries as General Electric, Sarah Lee, Oscar Meyer, Levi Strauss, AARP, etc, etc.....and the list goes on. As I add them to my list, not only do I studiously avoid doing business with them, I also make certain that they know why I will not do business with them.

Posted by: canovack | August 27, 2009 11:21 AM    Report this comment

I personally think that we should boycott Frommer and the company that sponsors his retoric. And when I heard they are located in Jersey. WAKE UP-NEW JERSEYANS----BOYCOTT

Posted by: Jayr | August 27, 2009 10:57 AM    Report this comment

Its people like Arthur that didn't want us standing up to the British over 200 years ago.

Posted by: Robert J | August 25, 2009 6:58 AM    Report this comment

Incontinent. Perfect. Hilarious.

Posted by: Todd W | August 24, 2009 8:43 PM    Report this comment

No point in leaving comment on Frommer's blog. There's already over 1100 comments. The company that publishes Frommer's travel guides issued a mealymouthed disclaimer about "valuing the good citizens of Arizona," but have no intention of criticizing this incontinent Yankee's unfathomably ignorant opinions. The company is in New Jersey.

Posted by: Lee W | August 24, 2009 7:00 PM    Report this comment

Weeeellll, I wouldn't exactly call Arizona a "low-crime" state. Certainly, if one discards all the illegal-alien-narco-smuggler-slaver-rapist-kidnapper-Army-Federale-Polizia crime statistics, then yes, Arizona is a very low crime state. But...

I feel nothing but disgust for Arthur Frommer. He has apparently surrendered his American citizenship, his intellect, his courage, and his very manhood to the malevolent American Left. With overwhelming emotional distress utterly negating the moderating influence of his intelligence, without a shred of empirical evidence, Arthur has decided that anyone who possesses any firearm is a direct, personal, physical threat to him, and as such, is to be feared and hated. He cloaks his emasculated, effeminate fear in lofty words like "threat to the future of our democracy," and "strikes at the heart of the political process," but he reveals clearly what his motivation is: "I am firmly convinced that they would also endanger my own personal safety." He also calls peaceable, law-abiding American citizens, including veterans of honorable military service "thugs" and "extremists." But he does so from the safety of his nursery.

That's the dogma of the American Left. Fear and hatred. You must fear everyone who is prepared and capable of self-defense, and hate everyone who disagrees with you. This is the same Left which decrees that a woman who's been raped and murdered is morally superior to a woman with a smoking gun in her hand and a dead rapist at her feet.

Posted by: Lee W | August 24, 2009 6:30 PM    Report this comment

Funny Arthur, the criminals are boycotting travel to Arizona also. Coincidence?

Posted by: Robert J | August 24, 2009 12:29 PM    Report this comment