February 2, 2009

Sig Sauer Introduces P238 in 380 ACP

EXETER, NH – Sig Sauer, Inc. has introduced the P238 in 380 ACP.

With an overall length of just 5.5 inches and height of 3.96 inches, and weighing just under a pound, the Sig Sauer P238 is built on an anodized alloy beavertail style frame with fluted aluminum grips.

The stainless-steel slide features slide serrations; additionally, the contrast or SIGLITE Night Sights are removable and adjustable for windage. The sear and trigger-return spring are redesigned to prevent spring over-ride of the ejector during assembly.

Sig Sauer P238 .380 ACP

Sig Sauer P238 .380 ACP

Two finishes are available; Two-tone and corrosion resistant Nitron. The new Sig Sauer P238 is shipped in a lockable hard case with one 6-round magazine. The MSRP is $515 for the Nitron with contrasting sights.

Product Specifications

Caliber .380 ACP
Frame Material Aluminum
Frame Finish Black Hard Coat Anodize
Slide Material Stainless Steel
Slide Finish Nitron or Natural Stainless
Length Overall 5.5"
Height Overall 3.9"
Width Overall 1.1"
Barrel Length 2.7"
Sights Post & Dot Contrast, SIGLIGHT Night Sights
Sight Radius 3.8"
Weight w/out magl 15.2 oz.
Mag cap 6 rounds

I wish I had something to say about this gun, but I waited 4 months for a 232 and/or a P238 to no avail. Finally bought a Ruger SR9(with 2 magazines). Long live Ruger.

Posted by: 2 seconds | November 14, 2009 12:28 PM    Report this comment

Just purchased a new p238 on saterday, was looking for something a little different to shoot for kicks. Had to wate till sunday to shoot. Wanted to be sure all the hunters were clear in my woods. Well I read, I practiced handling, I set up the target, I loaded, I looked around, I fired! At 40 feet I hit the target 6 times. Not bad, a little noisey. I reloaded.(Sort of stinks to have only one mag.) I looked around, took aim, fired and then it happened... round 2 jammed! What good is a gun that jams? Well I went through 100 rounds. It was fun to shoot and I hit the target every time and that is a good thing.The bad things. Worst of all...the jam, only 1 mag, mag seemed fussy to load and only 6 rounds. I'm thinking this TOY was a mistake to buy. At this point I would not call it a GUN, don't know yet that I could trust it to not jam.

Posted by: Gunlovin | November 9, 2009 3:27 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: Gunlovin | November 9, 2009 8:26 AM    Report this comment

Posted by: Gunlovin | November 9, 2009 8:24 AM    Report this comment

noticed on gun broker that someone had a p238 for sale..also the word on that site is that this sweet little gun should be available around the first week in june'09

Posted by: gizmo | May 14, 2009 5:21 PM    Report this comment

When is the p238 going to be on the market

Posted by: ecworm | April 20, 2009 6:40 PM    Report this comment

Colt Mustangs are going for $700 and up.
This is a modern copy, improved, NIB with warranty for $100 less.
Spend the change on two spare magazines

If you want a bigger gun, buy it. Mine are in the safe, my Mustang is in my pocket.

Posted by: REX B | March 17, 2009 2:38 PM    Report this comment

i'm looking forward to seeing this one [and buying one], I have several kal tec s and an 232, keep up the good work.

Posted by: jbyrd99201 | March 10, 2009 1:32 PM    Report this comment

I would rather just use my 232 (7 rds)
Why only one mag vs, two ... CHEAP?

Posted by: der uffz | February 5, 2009 5:29 PM    Report this comment

Six rounds? In 380? If I was going to carry a six round gun I would opt for a revolver in the new 327 mag. I bet Sig will want about $40 for a second magazine, a speed loader is far less.

Posted by: gibs505 | February 5, 2009 11:56 AM    Report this comment

I concur. With so many other top name companies having magazine promotions to by their products, it makes me wonder where Sig's marketing/thinking has process has gone wrong.

I guess I'll just hold out on buy Sig until they start throwing an additional magazine in again after they see the light...

Posted by: RichieRich | February 5, 2009 10:39 AM    Report this comment

The new Sig P238? I'm underwelmed. Sig's P232 has a slightly longer barrel and sight radius (better accuracy(?) Just a "tich" wider.
Weighs only about 2oz. more (in the base version). Fewer moving parts. AND, it's magazines(note the plural)carry one more round.
'Sides, subjectivelyI think that it looks nicer than the new "chunk".

I like Sig (have a couple of them)but am sorry to see them "going on the cheap" by cutting back to one mag; they also did that on the new P250.
Thank you,I'm finished with my little rant now.

Posted by: P. Revere | February 5, 2009 9:45 AM    Report this comment

Yay! The Colt Mustang Pocketlite returns!!!! It's about time!

Posted by: CORY B | February 5, 2009 9:07 AM    Report this comment

The overall shape looks generally like the Colt Mustang. The frame, safety, slide stop, trigger and nose of the guide rod look very familiar. Wonder if any of the components might be interchangeable?

Posted by: Stephen T | February 5, 2009 9:04 AM    Report this comment

In the market this competes in - LCP & P3AT - 6-rounds is the standard. Comparison with a hi-cap 9mm is apples & oranges. This pistol is the tool you use to get back to your car where you left that 9mm because it would not fit in your pocket.

Posted by: REX B | February 5, 2009 8:30 AM    Report this comment

One 6-round magazine? Good luck with that. In today's ecconomy cheaping out as blatantly as this is not the way to get people to chose your product, Sig Sauer! Only 6-rouds? When there are som many higher cap 9mm options available, do they really expect to gain any market share? Too bad I had higher expectations.

Posted by: vuwildcat81 | February 5, 2009 8:10 AM    Report this comment