May 10, 2011

Swiss Army Selects Glock as New Service Pistol

(GunReports.com) -- Glock Ges.m.b.H., located in Deutsch-Wagram, Austria, announced that the Swiss Army has chosen Glock as the new service pistol for the Swiss Army Special Forces.

The Glock Pistol models ultimately selected were the Glock 17 Gen4 and Glock 26 Gen4 9x19 semi automatic pistols, as well as the Blue Glock Training pistol, the Glock 17T Gen4 and Glock 26T Gen4 which will have the ability to fire both FX and ATK Force on Force marking ammunition.

The Swiss Army began its search for a new duty pistol in 2009, in hopes of finding a firearm that would provide greater soldier superiority and survivability in battle, lighter carry weight, simplicity of use under stress and uncomplicated maintenance.

The first round of Glock pistols will be issued to replace the existing SIG 220 and SIG Pro pistols being de-commissioned.

"I think that the Swiss have made a fine choice."

Fine choice of firearm, yes. Choice of caliber, not so fine.

Posted by: Lee W | May 17, 2011 10:10 AM    Report this comment

I think that the Swiss have made a fine choice.

Posted by: NCSNIPER | May 15, 2011 8:12 PM    Report this comment

The Glock is the best actual "combat" sidearm made in the world, it takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Posted by: Waldo Pepper | May 12, 2011 5:50 PM    Report this comment

claytong - "Special operations?" Example?

Posted by: Lee W | May 12, 2011 5:18 PM    Report this comment

Will the Sig's be made available for public purchase? If so please reserve one for me.

Posted by: WYBrew | May 12, 2011 11:27 AM    Report this comment

While I think that Glock pistols are fine service weapons (though I have difficulty with the grip angle on all of them), I am a major devotee of SIG Sauer firearms. Of course I am not in any position to criticize the Swiss adoption of the Glocks, but it seems to me that they are decommissioning some pretty fine pieces.

Posted by: canovack | May 12, 2011 10:46 AM    Report this comment

I've heard each Swiss citizen is issued a select fire assault weapon.

Posted by: playhookie | May 12, 2011 10:06 AM    Report this comment

The Swiss do not have much in the way of a standing army. For that reason they need a mobile, rapidly deployable force for special operations. In fact they probably have more genuine need for that than many other nations due to this unique structure.

Posted by: claytong | May 12, 2011 9:48 AM    Report this comment

"Swiss Special Forces?" What in the world do the Swiss need with "Special Forces?"

I'm not mocking them, I'm just asking for information.

Posted by: Lee W | May 10, 2011 4:11 PM    Report this comment