December 14, 2009

Times Square gunman—now dead—held weapon like rapper

NEW YORK--A December 12 story in the New York Post said that a Times Square bloodbath was narrowly avoided because the machine-pistol-toting thug who fired at a cop flipped the gun on its side like a character out of a rap video, causing the weapon to jam after two shots.

When scam artist Raymond "Ready" Martinez held the MAC-10-style gun parallel to the ground, it caused the ejecting shells to "stovepipe," or get caught vertically in the chamber, the sources said. The gun is designed to be fired only in a vertical position.

If he had fired the weapon -- which had another 27 rounds in the clip -- properly, Martinez, 25, could have killed the hero cop pursuing him and countless others walking through the swarming tourist mecca Thursday morning.

Read the story here.

An Important Note for GunReports.Com Readers:

Our goal on this website is to foster a free expression of views while reining in language that crosses the line of civil discourse. Accordingly, the comments areas are intended to expand the knowledge of all users of this site. But site administrators wish to discourage the use of profanity, insults, disrespect, the advocacy of lawlessness, violence or sedition, or attempts to impinge on the rights of others.

While GunReports.Com encourages robust discourse that furthers our understanding of all the issues affecting gun owners, comments that break GunReports.Com’s rules will be removed. In addition, we reserve the right to edit or delete individual comments, and in extreme cases, to ban commenters at our discretion.

--Tim Cole
Publisher, GunReports.Com

Question is.... what was this guy doing in times Square in the first place? And why wasn't Michael B down there enforcing the Sullivan Act? He sure hasn't shied from attempting to browbeat/coerce/intimidate law-abiding citizens in other states. Was it because this guy was a New Yorker? Maybe related to the mayor? Owed him money?
Always amazes me when these 'crusader' types bounce all over the coutry trying to 'right wrongs' but can't get their act together on their home ground.
Oh, well. All it cost the NYC taxpayers was the ammo used by the 'Thin Blue Line' to 'educate' this loser in the errors of his ways and the trash removal costs.

Posted by: Tower gunner | December 28, 2009 1:59 AM    Report this comment

I sincerely hope that "rappers" and those who emulate them never read this article.

Posted by: RackEmPunk | December 22, 2009 2:19 PM    Report this comment

And another thing ...

... It's called a MAGAZINE, not a clip. Got that drilled into me at a class I took. Not by the instructor, by the woman range owner (the real boss). Something about an armed lady - really puts the men in their place.

Posted by: blue88 | December 17, 2009 8:40 PM    Report this comment

The stovepipe-type of jam is probably NOT due to gun firing position. For an automatic it's caused by a limp wrist condition (says so in one of my manuals). It's pure physics - action & reaction. The eject/feed action depends the mass of the gun & the shooter's ability to provide the opposing force. If you don't have a firm grip on the gun (vertical firing too), it will stovepipe-lock.

Posted by: blue88 | December 17, 2009 8:27 PM    Report this comment

I got a lot of really rocky ground. Shoot, shovel, and shut up would entail a butt-load of backbreaking work on my part, and I'd almost prefer dealing with investigators to digging a hole with a pick and shovel.

You're right, Jeff, being honest and cooperative is good. Pointing out perps, evidence, and the bad guy's escape route is being honest and cooperative, and it's something I can do at the scene with no threat to my liberty. Confessing that I gave somebody's little gangbanger a serious case of highspeed lead poisoning is a defense lawyer's nightmare. If the cops find a room-temperature banger on the floor of my house with his ears cleaned out by a .45 ACP hot lead Q-Tip, my wife and I will both be dragged down to the cop shop whether we clam up or spill our guts, so we may as well make the cops work for a living. After all, if I'm dealing with excited, overzealous cops, I can be just as honest and cooperative AFTER I've got a lawyer present as I can before. Besides, I'm struck by Robert J's comment about the DA not prosecuting a weak case. I'd love to make sure any case against me is going to be as weak as possible.

Posted by: Lee W | December 15, 2009 11:39 PM    Report this comment

Being honest and cooperative can speed up the investigation. The amount of honesty and cooperation depends on how guilty you are and how serious the crime. I've benefited by being honest and assisting with investigations and in another situation, I benefited by keeping my mouth shut. Much to my surprise the entire restaurant of patrons kept their mouth shut when I spent a few seconds persuading a drunken bully he was capable of being respectful. I'm not sure I'd want LEOs dragging my wife down to the station for interrogation if I were to shoot an intruder. The more difficult part would be surrendering an expensive handgun to the investigators. I'd most likely avoid all that and place a call to the neighbor apologizing for the noise and explain I just shot a coyote that’s been getting into the trash. Hey Gav, you got coyotes in them there hills? Cause you don’t need lawyers for menacing coyotes.

Posted by: JWallace | December 15, 2009 9:19 PM    Report this comment

Great legal advice. My dad and I had this same discussion. He seems to think if someone broke in and he shot them if he explained to the police what happened everything would be fine. I told him to call 911 and just say that a criminal has been shot while breaking in. Nothing else, not who shot him, nothing until you talk to a lawyer. Once you admit to something, that is one more thing they will not have to prove. If they have to prove various facts; who shot the criminal, was he breaking in, shooting justified, etc. Make them prove everything, admit nothing. Chances are the DA will not bring any charges with weak evidence, do not force him to bring charges by admitting anything. Did we not learn anything from the O.J. trial?

Posted by: Robert J | December 15, 2009 7:21 AM    Report this comment

And before I get flamed by LEO's or their sycophants, I got this from a detective sergeant. Every honest cop says the same thing: When you are under investigation, whether it's for a traffic violation, a complaint report, or you've called 911 yourself because you've shot and killed a home invader, SAY NOTHING to the police until your lawyer is present and you've had time for consultation. "I have nothing to say" will keep you out of prison better than any cooperation, ESPECIALLY if you are innocent. The police are not investigating you because they're your friends and they like you.

Protect yourself. Keep your mouth shut and obey their orders.

Posted by: Lee W | December 14, 2009 10:57 PM    Report this comment

This and many other articles use the phrases: machine-pistol, MAC-10-style, machine gun, high-powered, sophisticated, and extremely lethal.
What they don't tell you is: The gun dealer, Dale Blankenship, is a retired school teacher and is NOT a Class 3 dealer. The manufacturer, Masterpiece Arms, is not a Class 2 or 3 manufacturer, and doesn't make, or offer for sale, full-auto guns. The gun itself is NOT a full-auto or select-fire weapon. It is a semi-automatic pistol, fires from a closed bolt, and is as unsophisticated and simple as they come. Under no valid, intelligent definition, military, police, or civilian, is the 9x19mm Europellet anything even remotely related to "high-powered," and judging from the effects, this gun was about as non-lethal as they come. Two rounds fired, no casualties, and a stoppage that the untrained perp was utterly incapable of clearing before his core temperature began to cool.

Furthermore, the uneducated lame-stream media routinely parrots press releases given them by any source with any kind of authoritah, because they don't like to have to work, study, or learn. That's why a cheap knockoff of a Mac-10 clone can be labled with a half-dozen scare adjectives that bear no relation to the gun involved, and the press release will never once be questioned, analyzed, or fact-checked. I'm not saying that Masterpiece Arms is one of them, but there are a huge number of these knockoffs that simply cannot fire three rounds without a malfunction or breakage. They are sold to stupid kids who want to "look cool" and who know nothing about firearms.

Do yourselves a favor: Never talk to a reporter except to say "no comment." Never talk to a cop, except to say "I have nothing to say." These people are not your friends.

Posted by: Lee W | December 14, 2009 10:44 PM    Report this comment

Well, I think it's evident that Raymond preferred the parallel position. It be nice if RAP followed the same parallel course.

Posted by: JWallace | December 14, 2009 8:56 PM    Report this comment