January 2, 2012

U.S. named
'most heavily armed country'

(GunReports.com) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.

About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.

"There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people," it said.

India had the world's second-largest civilian gun arsenal, with an estimated 46 million firearms outside law enforcement and the military, though this represented just four guns per 100 people there. China, ranked third with 40 million privately held guns, had 3 firearms per 100 people.

Germany, France, Pakistan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia were next in the ranking of country's overall civilian gun arsenals.

On a per-capita basis, Yemen had the second most heavily armed citizenry behind the United States, with 61 guns per 100 people, followed by Finland with 56, Switzerland with 46, Iraq with 39 and Serbia with 38.

France, Canada, Sweden, Austria and Germany were next, each with about 30 guns per 100 people, while many poorer countries often associated with violence ranked much lower. Nigeria, for instance, had just one gun per 100 people.

Created to operate with the trailer ball accommodated by the integrated hole. One study looked at blog post menopausal females that drank green tea, compared to those who consume black tea and those that were not tea drinkers

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 16, 2013 12:44 AM    Report this comment

Therefore, by contacting an agency, offers junk car removal offers, the owner can get adequate information regarding this type of services. The interesting thing with the car removal facility is one gets encashment facility with the service

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 15, 2013 10:48 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 15, 2013 10:44 PM    Report this comment

Achievement of uncommon success for any repair service dealership is largely dependent on how good the skills of the service advisors are. Therefore, it is of necessity that thorough training be conducted for the service advisors; so that good

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 15, 2013 10:37 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 15, 2013 10:37 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 15, 2013 10:32 PM    Report this comment

Newsletter serves as a reminder to your visitors that your website still exists. You should send newsletters especially to those who have subscribed but has failed to visit your site for a long time. Write and send newsletters on a regular basis. Typically the t

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 14, 2013 11:11 PM    Report this comment

“The Mystery Machine” On Screen History: -The cartoon version of the Mystery Van has too many credits to list, many TV shows, movies, DVD's, but a real Mystery van appeared in two live action movies about Scooby-Doo and the gang: "Scooby Doo" 20

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 11, 2013 6:45 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 11, 2013 6:45 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 11, 2013 6:45 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 11, 2013 6:45 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 11, 2013 6:45 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 11, 2013 6:44 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 11, 2013 6:44 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 11, 2013 6:44 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 11, 2013 6:44 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 11, 2013 6:44 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 11, 2013 6:43 PM    Report this comment

Be sure to pick the right colors that will convey the right message and emotion to your customers and prospects. If your guests are required to pay a fee, even just a small percentage, be sure to let them know ahead of time. You donâ%

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 5, 2013 3:59 PM    Report this comment

Jersey seems to be the ideal retreat then when you wish to get the best of both the worlds…be away from the maddening routine and monotonous chores and also relax in the luxurious spa breaks. Sometimes, you just will not make money in th

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 5, 2013 9:25 AM    Report this comment

Once again, among the very well known professional photographers commercial photographer Canberra can be mentioned. Photographing corporate events is a job of high responsibility. Thus, it has to involve the use of right tools, right techniques and also setting up the right en

Posted by: svxqsctzz | November 5, 2013 9:25 AM    Report this comment

The three windows I won were exactly right for him. The IMAX team assisted in rescues before finishing their ascent. Eye For An Eye: Karen McCann has just had her life shattered. Another great idea for planning an unforgettable Easter egg hunt is to put small slips of papers in some of the

Posted by: svxqsctzz | October 23, 2013 8:30 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: svxqsctzz | October 23, 2013 8:30 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: svxqsctzz | October 23, 2013 8:29 PM    Report this comment

So, What is probably the most effective method to choose your profitable quantities? The response is easy. Anyway you choose. And if you play acoustic guitar or electric guitar, typically you will need to rest the guitar waist on your a

Posted by: svxqsctzz | October 23, 2013 7:43 PM    Report this comment

Thanks PVB.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 19, 2012 7:00 PM    Report this comment

My brother bought a Chiappa .22 1911. It didn't look very well made, and didn't shoot well enough to stick around in the same safe as a Kimber conversion. My recollection is you could get it to fire out of battery. It was cheap and looked cool though!

Posted by: PVB | January 19, 2012 3:19 PM    Report this comment

On a different note, does anyone own any Chiappa firearms? I am wondering if they are any good. They have a new 191122 out that looks pretty neat. One even comes with a threaded barrel and they are not too expensive.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 19, 2012 12:33 PM    Report this comment

It usually IS the little guys.....the rank and file.....in any organization who end up getting screwed. Unfortunately, most observers aren't able to, or just won't try to, discriminate the differences between the fat cat bosses and the rank and file.

Posted by: canovack | January 19, 2012 12:06 PM    Report this comment

...and health care in some shops.

Posted by: PVB | January 19, 2012 12:00 PM    Report this comment

As a former union member, I can tell you what really screwed the unions. When the leadership got their hands on the Pension & welfare money. It corrupted a lot of people. The rank and file took it up the ass.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 19, 2012 11:45 AM    Report this comment

No need amigo. We're in agreement. 'See you' on the next round of news. Cheers!

Posted by: david b | January 19, 2012 10:05 AM    Report this comment

I agree with you, and I have no intent of hanging a commie sign around union members necks. Union members are every day people trying to earn a living who just happen to work in a union shop. Union leadership is a whole 'nother story however, and they are no different than their corporate counterparts when it comes to fairness or corruption. Some are good, some are really bad. We could go on all day about that, but there's a fresh new round of topics in the in box!

Posted by: PVB | January 19, 2012 9:51 AM    Report this comment

Cecil - Beirut didn't start out that way. Initially, the troops were "locked and loaded" all the time. As various dignitaries visited, they bristled, and Washington micro-managed. By 23 Oct 83, they were carrying empty rifles with magazines loaded in their pouches. We learned from those lessons though, and during SWA (aka Gulf I) the guards at our stateside bases were locked and loaded at the gates. Personally, I felt the tragedy should have been prevented by our military leadership, though it may have taken that kind of costly lesson to get politicians to realize they need to minimize their involvement in deciding the rules of engagement. Some generals should have resigned over that, taking the blame as it were, but we had a real leader as president who stood up and said "it's all my fault."

One reason I was confident we wouldn't be hamstrung by politicos going into Somalia is because our CG had been a battalion commander in Beirut, and remembered those lessons all too well. He moved on when we passed the baton to UN leadership, and Clinton failed to understand the prior lessons learned.

I agree about CNN...

Now, if the rest of society had the understanding of this Jihad that The Colonel has so eloquently stated, we could be done with this BS a whole lot more efficiently!

Canovack - Speaking of Calley, do you know if there's any truth to the story about him getting beat up by a couple of lance corporals for trying to take a Jeep from them?

David - you realize, in that article, it is the union that brought up the alleged PTSD... ;)

Posted by: PVB | January 19, 2012 7:24 AM    Report this comment

Well Colonel, looks like perhaps WE should be hired by someone to look into these types of cases since WE seem to have hit on a possible reason for the behavior. Soldiers get it in sometimes less time than he did, so it is a possible explaination. Good for us Sir.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 16, 2012 7:12 PM    Report this comment

TEST

Posted by: winnieguy | January 15, 2012 11:45 AM    Report this comment

Well, Cecil, failure to properly maintain anything.....from firearms to cruise ships to interpersonal relationships.....often results in poor performance at the most inopportune times.

Posted by: canovack | January 14, 2012 8:10 PM    Report this comment

Thank you Sir. But, I am sure glad I was not the master of the cruise ship in Italy. The company I worked for almost bought Costa Lines at one time but their ships were so run down that we backed out of the deal.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 14, 2012 6:54 PM    Report this comment

I do appreciate and am grateful for the thanks, for my service, that have been expressed here. We should never lose sight of the service provided by so many men and women in our armed forces, and for that matter in law enforcement, emergency services, the Merchant Marine, and public education. While all who serve do so in a voluntary manner, their contributions to our security and well being are often rewarded only in the knowledge that they have served their fellow Americans. It goes a very long way when they actually experience the expression of gratitude from those whom they serve.

Posted by: canovack | January 14, 2012 1:17 PM    Report this comment

Nor should you Colonel. You "made your bones" as the Mafia says.

But, never forget, there are a lot of us that thank you for your service.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 14, 2012 12:55 PM    Report this comment

Thanks for your kind thoughts and words..... Yes, I have given thought to the political arena, and just as quickly decided I really wouldn't want to put up with the BS that goes with it. I am content to post my thoughts in places like this forum and in the opinion column of our local newspaper. I know that if I did get into politics, I would have a very difficult time "playing the game", since it would likely involve some prostitution of my values to be successful. I occasionally accept an invitation to speak at a public gathering, and in such venues I know that I can speak quite freely and honestly, because I know that I don't owe anything to anybody there.

As for returning to the classroom, I fear that I am just getting too old and ornery to put up with all the BS that goes with that too. To be really good at teaching, you must commit a lot of your personal time and resources to it. While I typically used to put in a teaching day that began at 0700 and ran to 1700, I still had another 2-3 hours of planning, grading, etc at home each week night. At my age and station in life, I am quite content spending my time with my wife and my dog, doing what ever we want to do with our time. So, am I being selfish? Damned straight I am..... After 43 years of successful public service (21-Army & 22-public education), I have no pangs of guilt about how I spent my so-called "golden years".

Posted by: canovack | January 14, 2012 12:01 PM    Report this comment

Sometimes my gray matter lets me get a little wood on the ball I guess Colonel. I think a lot about this stuff but really have no one with which to share my views. I live here in SA to care for my Mother, 89 next week, and the few friends I made while going to sea are either dead now, or live in bumf**k somewhere. But I do relish reading your thoughts. I think it is a shame that you are not STILL teaching as you seem to be a natural. My hat is definitely off to you sir and I sure hope that the current crop of officers have at least half sense and wisdom that you possess.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 13, 2012 7:51 PM    Report this comment

"out and out stone age, uncivilized, religious fanatics". Fully agreed. My general impression of those folks is that one might as easily try to 'get along' a pi55ed-off boar-hog out in the scrub. I would have (and have) said 'primitive', but 'stone-age' covers the idea equally well.

Posted by: david b | January 13, 2012 12:19 PM    Report this comment

I figured I'd best cut that discussion short, so I wouldn't get to the point of tapping the "Submit Comment" button and having it tell my I was too long winded.

Now, to continue my diatribe..... There is an element in the conflict with Islam that resonates within the warrior's heart, that perhaps didn't resonate as loudly in other wars. Islamic radicals are out and out stone age, uncivilized, religious fanatics. Their quest is for world domination, but unlike others who have been on that quest, the Islamists are extreme in their religious beliefs. Now, the Germans and Japanese were hell bent racists, but their commitment to their cause was couched in national identities. Such is not the case with the Islamic radicals. The objective of a global caliphate is not a national objective tied to any one nation or group of nations..... It is tied to a religion. It is a holy war, and that tends to take all reason out of the prosecution of the war. For Islam, victory is the only acceptable outcome.....at any cost.....through any means.....to include the commission of atrocities to the point of revulsion of the world's population. Their quest, IS based on hate, and in the prosecution of that quest anything is acceptable. That's tough for young warriors to experience without some outlet of frustration. That's where strong, honorable leaders come into the equation to ensure that our righteous warriors are provided the moral guidance to refrain from becoming as ugly as the Islamic enemy.

Posted by: canovack | January 13, 2012 11:51 AM    Report this comment

Well, Cecil, you may have struck a resonating note with your analysis of the differences in enemy tactics in Vietnam as compared with those in Iraq and Afghanistan. An enemy's tactics can certainly affect the response of our troops to the employment of those tactics. I do, however, think your assessment that these young kids may have just been siezed by the moment is also a likely scenario. Hell, one of them may have said something like: "These guys really piss me off", and the others may have just whipped out their tools and started pissing. We do, however, be on guard to catch that sort of thing before it gets out of hand. Plainly and simply, this incident points to a failure of leadership somewhere in the chain of command of those troops, same as with Abu Graib, and same as My Lai.

When I returned from Vietnam, I was assigned to the Infantry School as an instructor, at Fort Benning. During that time, Rusty Calley's trial was held at Benning, and every day, I rode my motorcycle past the quarters where he was under house arrest. I saw him sitting on thr front steps of the quarters, so I stopped the bike and spent a little time talking with him. My impression was, and is, that Calley should never have been an officer. He seemed too dim witted for the job. Compound that with his company commander, Ernest Medina, who was also held at Benning, and who also didn't impress me very much when we shared an elevator in Infantry Hall. I'd guess the guy who took a lot of the flack for My Lai, was Maj Gen Sam Koster, the CG of the 23rd Inf Div. I met and worked around Sam after he had lost one of his stars over the My Lai mess. His demeanor was one of a man who knew that he screwed up by trying to cover up the whole thing.

Posted by: canovack | January 13, 2012 11:35 AM    Report this comment

And it might be something about their fundamentalist religion. As I recall (and I could be wrong because I have too much to remember that is more important than this) a body has to be clean and undefiled else Allah will not let them into heaven. It's why beheading is still a big deal there. Maybe our boys were just making sure they went to where killers of women and children should go?

Or maybe it was just a long gunfight and they needed to relieve themselves rather suddenly when they could stand up and the tension wore off?

Posted by: david b | January 13, 2012 8:11 AM    Report this comment

Lots of us look to the Colonel for a bit of guidance.

And per your previous post Colonel, I have a thought for your perusal. Could it be that the soldiers fighting the Arabs do not have respect for them as soldiers. Could it be that there was some sort of recognition of bravery in The Nam as Charlie was not afraid to fight. In the Middle East, they seem more prone to car bomb, use IEDs or talk some zealot into a suicide vest. Just a thought. I might, as usual, just be full of shit.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 12, 2012 10:30 PM    Report this comment

Colonel... Every post by you that I have read on here for several years leaves me wondering why you never formally got into the US political arena in some form or another? Or maybe you have?? Just now?? LOL!! I pray that your wisdom, eloquence and allegiance to this country might, through some form or another "rub off'" on our future generations of leaders. I wish I could sit down with you and just get to know you a little better. Your mannerisms remind me of that of my father's, he was as strong and as uncompromising as you seem to be when it comes to this country, and that's what I miss the most. Well...God bless you and yours Colonel...

Kindest Regards...

In God We Trust...

Posted by: Geometric1 | January 12, 2012 10:10 PM    Report this comment

You are right Colonel. I don't think these guys did it out of hate, I just think they are a bunch of kids that didn't think about it. It is an unfortunate event, but CNN made it seem like the end of the world and I am getting tired of their slanted news stories. Like I said, they didn't even mention the U.S. soldier killed yesterday or the 2 French Legionaires killed by Afghan Army (supposed to be on OUR side) soldiers.

What a mess.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 12, 2012 9:18 PM    Report this comment

I certainly agree that there is some payback due to those pricks that desecrated our dead, mutilated them, and just basically violated all provisions of the Geneva Accords, in past engagements. That said, I view the desecration of a corpse.....anybody's corpse.....as some sort of unholy violation of the common laws of courtesy, respect, and gratitude. I say this, because we are supposed to be above that shit. If the stone age creeps against whom we fight get off on that shit, that's for us to remember, and when the righteous hand of vengeance descends upon them.....courtesy of our own armed forces, we can at least say that we did the bastards in according to the rules.

Desecration of the dead is rooted in hate. As I have posited, in this forum before, I believe hate to be a terribly destructive emotion that has no place in the minds and hearts of enlightened warriors. During my time in Vietnam, I was regaled with words of hate from many around me, but I couldn't bring myself to join in with that. I viewed the enemy as guys who were doing essentially what I was doing, because they believed in it. Once I could view the VC and NVA in those terms, the destructive emotions were taken out of the picture, and my combat effectiveness improved markedly. Without hate, I could go about my job of hunting and killing the enemy in very matter of fact terms quite similar to going about the hunt for a good buck, Dall ram, moose, or whatever. I figure if all warriors would put that emotion of hate aside, they would simply become what they should be.....effective killing machines. We don't urinate or desecrate the wild game that we kill, so why should we do such to the enemy that we hunt?

Posted by: canovack | January 12, 2012 8:44 PM    Report this comment

one of the things I will never understand. Why did we send those Marines into Beirut and house them in a building and NOT have a .50 cal at the gate. The Marine on duty had an M-16, not even an M-60. A 50 cal. would have stopped that truck. It's been in the WTF department in my head for all these years.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 12, 2012 8:29 PM    Report this comment

F..ing A right Cecil!...Want some stories and varification/film to go along with that PVB et.al.??? Let me know!!!

Kindest Regards...

In God We Trust...

Posted by: Geometric1 | January 12, 2012 8:10 PM    Report this comment

Sad but no doubt true PVB. But you know, some day we need some payback for the Marines in Lebannon, Col. Higgins and the 18 troopers in Somalia and just tell the rest of the world to kiss our American ass.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 12, 2012 8:05 PM    Report this comment

David - looking for and found. I've got news for you - this won't be a simple slap on the pee-pee for those guys. One of the stories I read said they were snipers, and if that's true, the unit will likely make a statement with them. Because snipers operate independently, they often get a reputation for being a little too independent, and the command tends to react sternly. Not unfairly mind you, but there won't be many "factors in extenuation or mitigation."

Further, their unit commander (LtCol) will probably never see another promotion.

Their behavior would not have flown when I was in, and the level of scrutiny was increasing then. Like it or not, this is the environment, and desecration of a corpse is potentially very offensive, especially in an environment where we are supposed to be culturally sensitive.

Compared to what radical Muslims did to the Green Berets in Mogadishu, this is nothing; however, we are the United States of America, not a bunch of pirates.

Posted by: PVB | January 12, 2012 7:54 PM    Report this comment

AND the really shitty part is that we are saying that perhaps the Geneva Convention was violated. Gag me. Those assholes can't even spenn Geneva.

And their NCOIC, platoon commander, company commander and perhaps even batallion commander will get canned.

I of course, fired off a missive to CNN, telling them what I thought of it being an all day news event but I won't hold my breath waiting for a reply.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 12, 2012 7:37 PM    Report this comment

Oh yeah...

Kindest Regards...

In God We Trust...

Posted by: Geometric1 | January 12, 2012 6:48 PM    Report this comment

THIS IS NOTHING...compared to some of the things that were done by forces in WWII that my dear old dad told me about...and by ALL sides involved! They just didn't have and carry around the medium to show this kind of stuff! War is HELL you know...you just go friken nuts sometimes...I'm not saying it's right...but this kinda shitte has gone on for HUNDREDS of years! Some things more disgusting than others....

Posted by: Geometric1 | January 12, 2012 6:47 PM    Report this comment

Most likely just some dumbass who didn't realize how much trouble he would cause. Once he gets his dick out of the wringer he'll be more careful. You gotta know they're looking for him already.

Posted by: david b | January 12, 2012 3:37 PM    Report this comment

And posted on YouTube? I think these guys are already back in ConUS, and it is quite likely they did it themselves, like the soldiers (and SEALs?) that posed for photos of the prisoners in Iraq. Maybe the media will tell us, maybe not....

Posted by: PVB | January 12, 2012 2:51 PM    Report this comment

Probably done by some news puke from some distance away.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 12, 2012 1:42 PM    Report this comment

I agree Cecil, though I will say, that in this age, those Marines should have at least known better than to record the event.

Posted by: PVB | January 12, 2012 1:39 PM    Report this comment

OK guys. I would like to hear a few comments re: CNN showing pictures of Marine Snipers pissing on dead Talibans that were, an hour before trying to kill said Marines.

I am amused that CNN does not show the Taliban shooting women in the head in a soccer stadiumm I also think we are making a big mistake in attempting to "negotiate" a settlement with these assholes. Just pull out and let the f*****s go back to living in the 10 century.

What a quagmire. And we will punish some more grunts that are probably on their 5th deployment.

I could be off base on this but I am tired of this shit. Yesterday, one of the Afghan Army troops, shot and killed one of our guys while he was playing soccer. That barely made the news.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 12, 2012 1:19 PM    Report this comment

'ello sidney. welcome. weigh in anytime.

Posted by: david b | January 9, 2012 6:33 PM    Report this comment

Nice to meet you sidney.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 9, 2012 6:30 PM    Report this comment

semper fi. mates

Posted by: sidney c | January 9, 2012 4:46 PM    Report this comment

BTW guys, Cheaper Than Dirt has 'burial tubes' for $20 each if any of you are interested in sealing moisture from your long-guns between range sessions. They work just fine in the home to keep things dry - you don't have to use them for burials - wink, wink.

Posted by: david b | January 9, 2012 1:38 PM    Report this comment

I NEVER tell anyone about how many I own. People on my block know I have them and look to me to protect them from the Zombies though.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 9, 2012 12:46 PM    Report this comment

P V B - I agree we're still the most heavily armed - just not sure how accurate the 9 in 10 number is. If we all shared readily, I suspect it's pretty close - but barring storm troopers rolling in the streets we'll likely not ever really know.

Why they care may have two answers - the fearful are trying to assess the size of what they think is the danger. And the NWO types are trying to assess the threat to their plans so they can make necessary strategic adjustments. For that second reason, I hope most Americans tell a lie on the short side every time they are asked about their armament. The best surprise we can provide them would be a sudden realization that they had made their big move but seriously underestimated 'the people'.

Posted by: david b | January 9, 2012 9:46 AM    Report this comment

David's correct, though I would still expect we are in fact the most heavily armed populace in the world, for the same reasons more of us have dishwashers, toilets that flush, automobiles, air conditioning....

The real concern is why does anybody care?

Posted by: PVB | January 9, 2012 9:11 AM    Report this comment

Myk9noseknows's comment caused me to go to the 'source' document that came with the news post. There is no mention of their methodology, and the references are mostly UN sourced, and the ATF. So I'm sure the methodology is suspect, I think the data may be, and therefore also the conclusions.

The document makes no mention of what data they used - only of what kinds of data might be used in various countries. E.g., they discuss registrations. Now, in the US, that may provide the number they came up with, but won't include inherited weapons and many others that are no longer on the radar or never were. The way data processing works, they may not have any information on any gun bought before, say, 1990 or so. Paper in a warehouse somewhere sure, but nobody is digging in there to count them.

They also mention surveys, but I doubt they get accurate survey information from very many respondents. If someone called me asking that kind of info, I'd lie flat out. I don't know who they are, and you can even fake a caller ID name, so I don't care what shows up. What I do have is nobody's business until they need to see the business end of it. Suffice to say, I would never provide anyone an accurate count.

So, since the data sources appear to me to be weak, and the methodology suspect, I'm no longer sure the number can be counted on at all. I was impressed with it when I first read this - thinking "Oh Yeah, baby, Yeah!", but now I'm not so sure. The ratio of guns to citizens could be wildly inaccurate in either direction - easily 10% or more. In fact, it may be vastly higher because of structural weaknesses in the data - e.g. those inherited weapons and those from the day when they were sold across the counter in hardware, auto parts, feed and dime stores without registrations. Those are still out there - with Skully and Mulder looking for them. And they may still be dangerous.

Posted by: david b | January 9, 2012 8:06 AM    Report this comment

People with a CCW & citizens who just own a weapon are 2 very different things. Also, it just states "WEAPONS", not handguns. People having hunting rifles, shotguns for sport, or even a 7 year old kid who got their first 10/22 rifle. I own 29 handguns & 9 rifles/shotguns. So surely people like me offset that 90 out of 100 statistic. So now 38 other people don't own any single weapon because of my cache.

Posted by: Myk9noseKnows | January 8, 2012 8:34 PM    Report this comment

That's kind of what I was trying to get at in my previous post Anishinabi. Like I said, there's not going to be anything on the national news that they (the zombies) are coming for a select few or all of us. After a while, I believe that we the people, for the people, would organize and become well-organized. Without this organization it would be complete chaos. Look at the Civil War, when that conflict first started, the so-called militias were very unorganized and paid a terrible price. I just hope to God that that never has to happen again. The federal government knows how much we all love our guns and the shooting sports, and that we all have an inalienable God-given right to protect ourselves. The U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights and even the Bible says so. Although I know some in government are trying to pick them all to pieces, they are wrong for doing so. And soon WE THE PEOPLE WILL let them know how friken wrong they ALL are, get out there and vote my friends!

Kindest Regards....

In God We Trust....

Posted by: Geometric1 | January 8, 2012 1:35 PM    Report this comment

I think a lot of folks here are over-optimistic of the courage of Americans to stand up to government. I think most would act like the sheep in OZ did, and turn in their rifles and handguns. If a SWAT team today came down on your next door neighbor would you provide supporting fire? Remember the sickening picture of people being attacked on the street, or run over, and folks crossing the street to avoid getting involved. And if you sign a pact with your neighbors to defend one another, guess what? You just hit the NDAA list.

Posted by: Anishinabi | January 8, 2012 10:57 AM    Report this comment

Visigoth - you are correct as usual. The key is "they" are afraid, and while the emotional appeal of gun control to "serfs" with no firearms experience is understandable, their naivete is manipulated by the fearful wanna-be tyrants. Agencies such as this Geneva based think-tank are usually only one step away from those tyrants...

Posted by: PVB | January 6, 2012 6:51 PM    Report this comment

This shocking revelation doesn't surprise me in the least. Despite repressive laws on the books that should scare the hell out of all of us, what scares the government even worse is the prospect that if any of these laws are ever attempted to be enforced this country's armed citizens can and will vote in the streets.

Posted by: Visigoth52 | January 6, 2012 6:36 PM    Report this comment

I am betting that most of them are shotguns. Not very effective if you are trying to hold off an army.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 6, 2012 11:24 AM    Report this comment

P V B - now that you mention it, I'm surprised at China having private firearms too. I was under the impression that Mao's troops had confiscated all the weapons they could lay hands on. And if the government ever changed it's position on that, I was totally unaware.

Does anyone know what the 'history' of China's privately held guns is, say, since Mao?

Posted by: david b | January 6, 2012 10:46 AM    Report this comment

China has privately held firearms? Wow!

We also own more automobiles, more TV's, more computers, etc.

Posted by: PVB | January 6, 2012 10:30 AM    Report this comment

Still the freest country in the world, yes. BUT, the current and last presidential administrations, with some help from their predecessors, have made legal claims and passed laws (still untested in courts) that make us legally no more than a banana republic. That deal was already done, but last month, with passage and signing of the NDAA, the seal was put on the envelope. Now, all it takes is one executive order, and your streets will be filled with guys in combat gear, your homes violated, your friends and perhaps families rounded up, yada yada.

Under current claims I could be 'disappeared' for what I just wrote - or be assassinated - both by executive fiat. And I don't know WHAT has happened to our military culture, but it seems the branches are all too willing to support that kind of government. E.g. they currently run most of the spying on citizens.

In the sense of 'law' claimed by our government, we're slaves as surely as any other country you can name. It's just that so far our "Massa" hasn't gone gonzo on us. Be prepared. "Massa" could change his mind, or just have a bad day....

Posted by: david b | January 6, 2012 9:15 AM    Report this comment

Lets see....most firearms in the world....free'ist country in the world...do I see a correlation here??

Posted by: rong56345 | January 6, 2012 8:44 AM    Report this comment

Geometric 1 - I think there are so many gun owners that they'd have to try to get us "in one fell swoop". They can't take down one house a night and convince all the neighbors that they were all criminal suspects - and we all know that 'terrorist' won't fly when they try to apply it to people we know. So my guess is that it would have to happen over one or two nights maximum, and there is no force with enough staff to do that, let alone fight the neighbors flanking fire. And at that point some of them might actually recall taking that oath they took.

On the other hand, the paramilitary assaults are partly because they're afraid, but also designed to make us all afraid - too afraid to step out of line. It doesn't matter that the nation is full of guns if they can frighten people into not picking them up, or better yet turning them in. So they try to scare us.

Posted by: david b | January 6, 2012 8:28 AM    Report this comment

I just love that statement by Isoroku Yamamoto Colonel! If the "shtf" in my neighborhood by "Foreign" invaders, all HELL would break loose! But...what scares the hell outta me...would all the so called patriots come to my aid and begin an offensive/defensive if they saw the local police or BATFE or God forbid UN troops breaking down doors? Well maybe later when they all figured out what was going on? It isn't going to be broadcast on the national news ya know! Just Thinkin'....

Kindest Regards...

In God We Trust...

Posted by: Geometric1 | January 6, 2012 8:12 AM    Report this comment

Doesn't the 2007 mean this survey was in 2007? If so, that was pre-Obama. If this is the case, we must be over 1 gun per person by now.

Posted by: JOE S | January 6, 2012 7:45 AM    Report this comment

According to 1 newsletter I read, 93 voted FOR, 7 voted AGAINST. Still, that is a load of horseshit. And the chickenshits tacked it on to the military appropriations bill. Real stand up folks, huh.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 5, 2012 8:32 PM    Report this comment

That NDAA law has me so foaming at the mouth angry that I'm dehydrated. What kind of treason is this? Is it really true that 97 Senators voted for that PoS? And my Rep. did too. So I know at least 3 people I won't be voting for as long as there is any opponent.

Posted by: david b | January 5, 2012 8:27 PM    Report this comment

I was wondering how long it would take for anyone to take notice of the new law that permits the detention of U. S. citizens by the military, indefinitely and without charges or access to counsel. Of course, BHO has stated that his administration won't do it. And I will pull out in time.

Posted by: Cecil B | January 5, 2012 6:51 PM    Report this comment

All the gun laws and "permits" pertaining to regular citizens are null and void. Read the Constitution! No infringement, period! Only when someone has "surrendered" their rights, as in a crime, can government properly track you or limit your rights. NICS should instead become BIDS, only checking against lists of the rights-disabled, not tracking you. Any kind of "permit", gun or otherwise, is just permitting the bureaucrats to garner more power over the citizens and bow to special interests.

Posted by: Ronen | January 5, 2012 6:12 PM    Report this comment

I wonder sometimes about hypothetical things - in this case how it would play out when the zombies start coming into neighborhoods to grab guns or gun owners, or just 'dissidents'.

Today, they come in with a SWAT-type team. But what if that team came under rear fire, or flanking fire from neighbors? There's already enough noise to arouse even more neighbors, so if they call in the troops for back-up, there will just be more noise, and more neighbors. Some of those 'troops' will presumably stand down in order to keep their oaths. Some will kill citizens. Things will get ugly quickly.

Bottom line - I'm not at all sure anyone realizes how many guns really are 'out here', how much ammo is probably a complete unknown, and the number of supposedly unarmed folks who may be armed, may be competent with arms and borrow one, or may have a secret stash is also totally unknown. E.g. I have a neighbor lady who inherited a Rem 700 when her husband died. Nobody knows she's got it, and I'm trying to talk her into a sale but unsuccessfully so far. She used to hunt too, so might even be able to use the darned thing pretty well. And I think all this is a damned good deterrent to any usurpation of our beloved Constitution.

Posted by: david b | January 5, 2012 5:06 PM    Report this comment

WE NEED MORE GUNS! And citizens instead of slaves that will use them under the constitutions INTENDED purpose; CHECKS AND BALANCES ON THIS USURPED, ILLEGAL GOVERNMENT.

Posted by: Steve M | January 5, 2012 4:44 PM    Report this comment

Let's all pause for a moment and take into consideration the newly signed NDAA (National Defense Authorization Act of 2011) that grants Obama, et. al. the power to imprison American citizens if said citizen(s) are "suspected" of being a terrorist. Additionally, the law grants military personnel to arrest and indefinitely detain any American citizen(s) that have become "belligerent". I say it is a good thing to be armed in America today because we will be prepared when, not if, the SHTF. Also, please keep in mind that 97 (I may be off by one or two, but you get the picture) of our Senators voted for this unconstitutional law; 7 voted against. In essence, the bulk of the top two arms of our government have just committed treason.

Posted by: ajwrangler | January 5, 2012 3:20 PM    Report this comment

Darn I was hoping it was higher.You don.t need a government license to own most weapons,only for concealed carry and if you would like a little less noise(suppressor).As for NY,CA and a couple others their are only subjects there not citizens. Preaching to the choir here but guns and the 2nd amendment are to keep governments from becoming tyrants.Don't beleive that,try carrying your pistol open some place in this free country and see what response you get.Some city governments get upset if you are wearing a empty holster.

Posted by: Robert T | January 5, 2012 3:00 PM    Report this comment

So, the good news here is that the admitted gun owners (80 million, or 147 million, or however many) can arm essentially 270 million people (if not in fact more). THAT is way too big an army to attack, and is way too big a rebellion to quell. If the SHTF day actually comes, it'll be ugly, but with that many guns in play, hopefully everyone will agree to not start SHTF day. Sort of like the 'mutually assured destruction' theory of nuke armament....

Posted by: david b | January 5, 2012 2:19 PM    Report this comment

I certainly own more than one firearm. In a firefight with the Zombies you might not have time to repair it if you only have 1.

By the way, have you all noticed that the price of AKs has gone up nearly 30% since last fall? Wonder what that means?

Posted by: Cecil B | January 5, 2012 1:59 PM    Report this comment

Sorry, skipped right over it?

Posted by: Dustbag | January 5, 2012 11:57 AM    Report this comment

China has 40 million privately held guns. Wow! What's that say about NYC, Washington DC, and the Brady bunch, not to mention Obama and his silly policies.

Posted by: Mister E | January 5, 2012 11:56 AM    Report this comment

"This is from the Geneva-based", isn't Geneva in Swtzerland? Where do they stand in this?

Posted by: Dustbag | January 5, 2012 11:55 AM    Report this comment

Specifically addressing RightwingPatriot's post; how does the number of ccw permits specifically correlate with the number of guns in this country? While I respect everyone's opinion here, include yours, ccw permits only reflect the number of gun owners who have chosen to obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon. I feel comfortable in speculating that the majority of gun owners do not have such permits, and several states do not even issues such permits. I have owned several guns at a time, for most of my life, yet have only recently decided to obtain my carry concealed license. Of all the people I both work and associate with, very conservatively, at least half are gun owners--most all owning numerous guns. Very few of the gun owners that I know, have my state's concealed carry license. Also, keep in mind, the figures in the article reflect all gun numbers, not just “handgun” numbers. You do not need a ccw permit to own or carry a rifle. In the county where I reside, I would say the figure is most likely several guns per resident. The only thing keeping the national numbers (I do not know my state’s figures) to less than one gun per citizen are the weak-minded pacifists who have been brainwashed into believing that guns are evil, and who choose not to recognize that a heavily armed populace is fundamental to maintaining a democratic republic. I have to believe it likely that a study done by a group such as the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies, was likely extensive in its research, and although certainly not exact, likely close enough to be considered good, actual numbers. All things considered, 90 guns for every 100 citizens in the United States is a very believable number.

Posted by: phatbiker | January 5, 2012 11:23 AM    Report this comment

I wonder how many guns are truly out there under the radar. Guns that are in the hands of criminals, terrorists or others who for various reasons may not wish that anyone knows they own one, or more.

Posted by: Pioneer | January 5, 2012 10:59 AM    Report this comment

I'm not an American, i'm a Canadian. My brothers & sisters to the south know as our brothers & sisters here in Canada know : The best defense is a good offence. Own 7 handguns, 3 rifles, 1- 12.5 in.barrel shot gun. Make my own ammo. Don't give up your rights and help us fight for ours. God bless you friends.(USA)

Posted by: greg w | January 5, 2012 10:59 AM    Report this comment

Think about it: Some of us gun toters have 90 guns for ONE citizen

Posted by: Sharps | January 5, 2012 10:11 AM    Report this comment

Those politicians that want to disarm us had better rethink their position. Armed American civilians outnumber all of the armies of the world, put together.

Posted by: bharris0 | January 5, 2012 10:07 AM    Report this comment

I hope we can cross the 100% line soon!

Posted by: TOM M | January 5, 2012 9:52 AM    Report this comment

I am sure folks like the readers here skew the numbers. But better the government that fears its citizens than citizens that fear their government. Keeps the Washington thieves in line.

Posted by: Anishinabi | January 5, 2012 9:46 AM    Report this comment

Statistics are pretty funny things. We can make anything out of them we might wish, depending on how skillfully one manipulates the numbers. That said, in my experience most gun owners are not owners of only one piece. In my own case, I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 pieces. While that may be more or less than the average collector, I cannot really say, but there are an awful lot of firearms in the hands of private citizens in the USA.

Posted by: canovack | January 4, 2012 11:05 AM    Report this comment

90 guns for every 100 citizens? I find that hard to believe. I read that there's only 700,000 CCW and with over 300 million citizens that's way low. Sure it's not 9 out of a 100?

Posted by: RightwingPatriot | January 3, 2012 8:19 PM    Report this comment

I sincerely and seriously hope that we continue to maintain our position as the "Most Heavily Armed Country". It is that status that has served as a deterrent to military invasion.....including World War II, when Isoroku Yamamoto recognized that an invasion of the west coast would be folly because "behind every blade of grass would be an armed American".

Now we are hearing of at least two instances of freedom loving, law abiding Americans, who tried to do the "right thing" in New York City, when they asked where they could check their guns when going to visit the 911 Memorial and the Empire State Building. It seems that when they saw the "No Guns Allowed" signs the NYC posts in its killing zones, they attempted to check them in with security guards. One would have thought that by now every gun owning American would know of the totalitarian, draconian laws that New York uses to keep its law abiding citizens in line. The crooks and miscreants certainly don't respect New York's asinine gun laws..... And, for that matter, neither do I..... Every time I have been there I have carried in deep concealment..... No problems.....for me, or for anybody else.

Posted by: canovack | January 3, 2012 7:07 PM    Report this comment