November 23, 2009

Prosecutor: Fatal Shooting Was Self-Defense

WESTLAND, Mich. -- No charges will be filed against a Westland woman over the fatal shooting of her husband Monday evening, according to a story in the Observer & Eccentric newspaper.

In a Nov. 8 article, the newspaper wrote that Jared Callender, 23, was shot three times in the bedroom of the home he shared with his 47-year-old wife.

Westland police Sgt. Michael Harhold said, “They had a rocky relationship. There had been prior domestic problems and calls to the police department.”

The wife operates a hair salon and tattoo parlor from a building she owns in Detroit. The man, who was unemployed, reportedly again threatened his wife with violence when they returned to the Westland residence from the business.

“She was in the living room when he came in and began removing clothing to take off his belt. He put the belt around her neck and was choking her,” Harhold said.

The woman was wearing a fanny pack around her waist in which she had a .38-caliber revolver — something she carried for protection at her business, Harhold said.

“She fired once striking him in the chest. When he raised his gun again, she fired twice more hitting him in the head,” Harhold said. “She had some injuries — supportive (of her account) injuries.”

An Important Note for GunReports.Com Readers:

Our goal on this website is to foster a free expression of views while reining in language that crosses the line of civil discourse. Accordingly, the comments areas are intended to expand the knowledge of all users of this site. But site administrators wish to discourage the use of profanity, insults, disrespect, the advocacy of lawlessness, violence or sedition, or attempts to impinge on the rights of others.

While GunReports.Com encourages robust discourse that furthers our understanding of all the issues affecting gun owners, comments that break GunReports.Com’s rules will be removed. In addition, we reserve the right to edit or delete individual comments, and in extreme cases, to ban commenters at our discretion.

--Tim Cole
Publisher, GunReports.Com

It's a good thing the woman in jeopardy did NOT have to call 911 or press 1 for English! It's a better thing she carried a gun and the topper is that she got a bad guy off the streets for the law abiding citizens.As for the age difference, a difference of over 5 years is outside the norm and unusual at best.
Most relationships of this nature are not MARRIED relationships according to insurance statistics.It takes a "special" man to get the young ones Lee W. lol lol lol
BTW , Alcohol kills way more people than guns every year so I really believe that the alcohol Congress consumes each year should be included in the "hazardous chemical" paraphrasing in the health care bill.I believe the above case may have put the two dangerous compounds together for an explosive ending.
Happy Thanksgiving all.

Posted by: Sharps | November 27, 2009 10:43 AM    Report this comment

Lee, I agree with you on your points that she should have been alittle bit more choose about her other half in the first place and I too feel that more people need to be able to protect themselves againt preditors of all kinds all across this country. God Bless You and Yours Hope all is Well.
God Bless America and Our Troops Past, Present and Future.
Keeping to My Oath, Locked, Loaded, and Keeping My Powder Dry

Posted by: bear1 | November 26, 2009 3:05 PM    Report this comment

Considering that my wife is 14 years younger than me, yeah, I understand that it isn't the age difference that's important here. It's the fact that he was unemployed, of low character, and had used violence against her on several previous occasions. She obviously, in my humble opinion, had some kind of emotional problems that led her to take up company with a worthless and dangerous man, but her attendant personality disorders caused her to make a whole series of bad decisions about her sexual relationship that ended up forcing her to shoot the man to death. It's too bad that she didn't have the integral sense of self worth that she could have used to discriminate between good partners and bad.

That being said, it's a good thing she had the gun and knew how to use it. A whole lot of good folks in Detroit don't, and suffer needlessly as a result.

Posted by: Lee W | November 26, 2009 2:33 PM    Report this comment

Howdy, bear1 and All.
I agree with you concerning the age issue. It really isn't one if the parties involved are good to go with the idea. Like you, my wife is a fine shooter in her own right. I wouldn't want to be an aggressor against her considering she is armed at all times. I insisted she get her AZ CCW permit shortly after we met and while teaching her enough to pass the test (she has shot off and on since she was a tyke) it was impressive to see her shoot a variety of guns. Having taught MANY people how to shoot, she is not a woman to be taken lightly if someone were to try and come between the Momma Bear and her Cubs or Mate (me).
And like you, I keep our Troops, past and present, in my prayers and hope things can be settled everywhere and all can come home safe and sound to their families.
God Bless!

Posted by: Huggy | November 26, 2009 1:41 PM    Report this comment

I don"t think age really had much to do with it. My wife is a few years older than I am, and she knows how to shoot and has guns, I know because I tought her how to shoot and bought her guns for her, even before I did these things I wouldn't want to be the one to mess with her to much because she is a Little Native American lady that knows how to use a tomahawk and scalpin Knife real good. but I am glad that the lady in the story is O.K. and could defend herself.
God Bless America and Our Troops Past, Present and Future.
Keeping to My Oath, Locked, Loaded, and Keeping My Powder Dry

Posted by: bear1 | November 26, 2009 1:23 PM    Report this comment

Gaviota, I don't really think anyone read more into your comment than what you wrote as evidence there aren't any comments flaming you. Still, while I don't necessarily agree with your "Boy-toy" comment (My wife is 26 years younger than I...does that make ME a cradle robber??) any and EVERY relationship can suffer perils at any time if one partner is not acting rationally. Regardless, the outcome of this incident was as it should be and I pray the intended victim will be able to get along with her life without further hassles or rancor from outsiders. Regards.

Posted by: Huggy | November 26, 2009 12:24 PM    Report this comment

Re-reading my comment has caused me to re-think my last sentence because my meaning could be easily misconstrued. What I meant was: Woman, didn't you have daughters that you taught to respect themselves, and reinforced in them their own sense of self-worth? Did you not teach them to avoid worthless men? Did you not believe those lessons applied to you too?

I did NOT mean that she should have given her daughter(s) to this scum.

Posted by: Lee W | November 26, 2009 12:17 PM    Report this comment

While taking another humman life should never be taken lightly, this is a clear case of self defense and where the intended victim survives and the antagonist dies, just as it should be in similar cases. Also, this is another perfect instance where carrying a CCW for personal defense was justified necessary. I am sorry for the trauma this woman is suffering through but relieved the situation was not reversed and the bad guy living longer at taxpayer expense.

Posted by: Huggy | November 26, 2009 12:01 PM    Report this comment

This guy was either drunk, drugged, or just plain stupid. He made three cumulatively fatal errors in judgement.

Mistake #1: He didn't know that the woman he married and lived with routinely carried a gun in a fanny pack. Either that or his memory was severely chemically impaired.

Mistake #2: He looped a belt around her neck WHILE SHE WAS WEARING HER FANNY PACK. Serious failure of the victim selection process there, which can happen when a man's been numbing up his cerebral cortex with recreational psychopharmacological compounds.

Mistake #3: After being shot once, he somehow arrived at the conclusion that continuing his attack on his wife was a good survival tactic. Turns out that this was a gross conceptual error, which is intuitively obvious to the most casual unimpaired observer.

Here's a lesson for the unmarried 47 year-old women out there. Unemployed 23 year-olds are not a good marriage choice. Boy-toy, sure. Go ahead and let young Mr. Macho Studly Hungwell wear your *** out. Just don't let him live with you, and for God's sake, don't marry him!

Dang, woman. Didn't you have any daughters?

Posted by: Lee W | November 23, 2009 5:30 PM    Report this comment