October 6, 2010

TX Bank Encourages Concealed Carriers to Come On In

(GunReports.com) -- A Chappell Hill (TX) bank has posted a sign on its front door welcoming licensed carry gunowners into the bank.

A story in the Brenham (TX) Banner-Press said that about a month ago, Chappell Hill Bank president Edward Smith looked at a sign on the front door prohibiting concealed weapons from his business and decided to make a policy change.

Licensed to carry a handgun? Come on in, and bring your weapon.

Chappell Hill Bank has been contacted by officials from larger banks considering to take similar action.

The sign, now prominently displayed on the bank’s front door, says, “Lawful concealed carry permitted on these premises. Management recognizes the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution as an inalienable right of all citizens. We therefore support and encourage the carrying of licensed concealed weapons.”

Smith said, “We had the sign on the window, the red circle with the pistol inside and a line through it. And I started thinking, ‘We’ve got this no gun sign up and the guy (robber) can come in and do what he wants.

“But if you’ve got a policy allowing handguns, he won’t know how many people are going to be in here carrying a concealed weapon. There may be some little old lady who’s mad at the government, and she’d love to use it,” he said.

Smith been contacted by officials from larger banks considering to take similar action, and has received e-mails in support from across the United States and even from England, Canada and Germany.

The policy change has also brought Chappell Hill Bank a handful of new customers and comments from people outside Washington County that they’d bank there if they lived here, said Smith. Chappell Hill is situated in the southeast portion of Washington County, which lies halfway between Houston and Austin on US Hwy. 290.

“I tell them that we’re a full-service bank and we’re on the Internet. They can bank online,” he said.

www.BrenhamBanner.com

Carrying your weapon in a bank can be a real lifesaver. Back in the ‘90’s my uncle who lived in New Mexico (he is now deceased) and was an avid hunter was carrying his S&W Detective Special concealed in a bank when the bank was held up. My 75 year old uncle did like he did back in WWII, pulled out his gun and shot the robber dead. The police responded and say that he did what any police officer would do and let him go.

Posted by: broadswordsman | October 20, 2010 12:35 PM    Report this comment

Now let's start working on the LCRA which covers just about every body of fish-able water south of Dallas. I also know of two churches that are encouraging the parishioners to bring their concealed guns to church with them which means you better know the law better than the people giving out the invitations.

Posted by: Wood Butcher | October 11, 2010 5:42 PM    Report this comment

Good for that bank, the guy is thinking ahead of time the bad guys may think twice before going in and trying to rob that place.
God Bless America and Our Troops Past Present and Future.
Keeping to my Oath Locked Loaded and Keeping My Powder Dry

Get the US out of the UN and the UN out of the US

Posted by: bear1 | October 10, 2010 10:57 PM    Report this comment

Gaviota's post certainly clarifies some of the confusion that may have existed concerning the so-called prohibited places. Of course none of the prohibitions make any sense at all. And as some comments note.....these gun-free zones are basically killing zones that have held out the welcome mat to any nut-case or criminal who wants to take advantage of a disarmed group of people. It is for that reason that many CHLs are willing to take their chances with entering these venues with very deeply concealed pieces. The question that must be asked here is: Is it worth your life to be compliant with a stupid law? Another question that begs asking is: If a CHL saves a life or several lives by taking down a criminal who is intent on killing those in the venue, what will the district attorney recommend? We have already seen one case where a man who carried without a CHL foiled a robbery in a Walgreen's drug store, and he was not prosecuted for the charge of illegally carrying a concealed weapon.

Posted by: canovack | October 8, 2010 4:21 PM    Report this comment

My apologies and thanks. Excellent website. I read almost everything.
I must have had the wrong instructor.
lcj

Posted by: lcjones | October 7, 2010 5:10 PM    Report this comment

I really like the thought. I wish we could do it. There is a big BUT in all this. The Texas Law for Concealed Carry forbids carrying in a bank.

Posted by: ljones | October 7, 2010 2:35 PM    Report this comment

I am opening an account with this bank because of this policy and closing the account I have with Chase

Posted by: perro de diablo | October 7, 2010 1:31 PM    Report this comment

My bank (First United) in Denton, TX has the no guns sign on the door. I have often thought how stupid it is.
Barry in Texas

Posted by: BARRY C | October 7, 2010 11:37 AM    Report this comment

I like this bank president's logic!

Posted by: PVB | October 7, 2010 11:37 AM    Report this comment