October 27, 2008

AFL-CIO Joins The Gun Wars With Targeted Mail Blitz Defending Obama On Gun Rights

TalkingPointsMemo.com reports that the AFL-CIO is about to unleash "a blitz of mailers defending Obama on gun rights that's aimed strictly at union households made up of gun owners."

The first mailer is a piece going to some 80,000 gun owners in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. It says in part: "I want to protect two things: My job and my gun," union member Mike Day says in the mailer. "That's why I'm supporting Barack Obama."

TalkingPointsMemo.com said, "The union's decision to depart from a strictly economic message and to edge into the culture wars is driven in part by a stepped up campaign in the battlegrounds by the National Rifle Association."

Obama On Gun Rights

About this "blitz of mailers defending Obama on gun rights that's aimed strictly at union households made up of gun owners"--how do they know which households those are? Does the AFL-CIO require members to register their guns with the union bureaucracy?

Posted by: KURT H | November 2, 2008 8:48 AM    Report this comment

Thanks to "yellow dog" democrats like "Cleat", we may have to endure some more years like the Clinton years. I promise you,"Cleat" is no more a gun owner than I am a supporter of Obama. Obama has ALREADY voted to do away with private ownership of handguns, Already voted to do away with most rifle ammunition, ALREADY voted to make it illegal to defend yourself in your own home, ALREADY voted to abolish concealed carry laws, ALREADY voted to outlaw selling of guns within 5 miles of any school, so one thing is certain: England and Australia lost their gun rights because they had too many "Cleats" who thought it couldn't happen. If it should come to another civil war, we at least know "Cleat" won't be on our side, "helping". Gun owner my ass.
And for the record: Warlock is my military code name,not some devil worshipper.

Posted by: Warlock | November 1, 2008 5:03 PM    Report this comment

I have to agree with Charlton Heston..."you will get my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers!!!"

Posted by: Lawman | November 1, 2008 8:42 AM    Report this comment

I am a union member, but what I also am is a free thinker. I am in the minority not following there push as the unions always do to get a democrat in the white house. I fear that this Obama is one step closer to ending our second amendment rights.

Posted by: USMC0341 | October 31, 2008 6:20 PM    Report this comment

I am not concerned about Barrack Obama taking my gun rights any more than I was about Clinton or any other democratic candidate in history. Most of the talk they do is political postureing designed tp garner votes. America is not like England or any of the other countries that "allowed" their right to own a gun to be taken away from them. If the United States government actually tried to implement such a policy it would spark another civil war and they know this. My vote for Barrack Obama is motivated by the fact that the republican parties economic policies have brought this country to the verge of collapse.

Posted by: CLEAT | October 31, 2008 5:18 PM    Report this comment

Obama has a lifelong history of communist associations; both professional and social. One may substantiate these accusations with an bit of research.

Posted by: av8ors | October 30, 2008 7:54 PM    Report this comment

A-MEN on the IMPEACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Jayr | October 30, 2008 7:12 PM    Report this comment

This guy Obama is a liar from the word go. He is anti-gun, anti-2nd amendment,anti-American!
Everyone voting for him will regret it. Well, we can always impeach him!

Posted by: Lawman | October 30, 2008 5:35 PM    Report this comment

I was a union member, but I quit that nonsense in Jan. 1982. It has cost me some money, but without integrity, a bag full of union earned money is worth no more than a bag full of horseshit. If a union member, regardless of which union, lets himself,(or herself) be led by the union bosses into voting for Obama by believing Obama will protect your gun rights, then that union member deserves what he gets, but the rest of us don't. Your Union would really rather you weren't armed, anyway. Uprisings against the union, you know. Use your head, guys. Look at Obama's voting record, then if you don't want guns, vote for the bastard.

Posted by: Warlock | October 30, 2008 2:08 PM    Report this comment

It occurs to me that unions, any union, would really rather their membership was NOT ARMED, lest there be an uprising against unions.
Warlock

Posted by: Warlock | October 30, 2008 2:05 PM    Report this comment

It occurs to me that unions, any of them, would really rather their membership was NOT ARMED.
Union uprisings, you know?

Posted by: Warlock | October 30, 2008 2:02 PM    Report this comment

I quit being a union member in Jan., 1982. It cost me a few bucks,but integrity is worth more than a bag full of union earned money, which in today's political climate is worth about the same as a bag full of horseshit. If union members,(any union) let themselves believe the union bosses BS and vote for Obama thinking he will "protect their gun rights", then they deserve what they get, but the rest of us don't. Use your head, guys. Look at Obama's voting record, then if you're ready to say goodbye to your guns, vote for the son of a bitch.

Posted by: Warlock | October 30, 2008 1:54 PM    Report this comment

Second post.
Gun Control really does work....ask Hitler, Stalin, and Mao!

Posted by: Ralph De La Huerta | October 30, 2008 12:34 PM    Report this comment

I spent 15 years in unions (2) and they did not do anything to protect my job. Instead, they tried to harm me and I won't go into details (too lengthy).
My guns and my safety mean more to me than any f'ing union or the union officials (lying bastards)

Posted by: Ralph De La Huerta | October 30, 2008 12:32 PM    Report this comment

Just more union BS

Posted by: Dick L | October 30, 2008 11:29 AM    Report this comment

Obama will protect our gun right's as soon as he has tried to take them away from us. The union's(leadership) have their heads up you know where. WAKE UP PEOPLE,Check his voting record.OBAMA has voted for every gun restriction on the books,and taxing ammo and trying to put the gun makers out of BUSINESS.

Posted by: Jayr | October 30, 2008 10:36 AM    Report this comment

My dad has been in the union for 42 years and we have political discussions all the time. I'm all for difference in opinion, however I'm against telling people how they feel. It does not matter which union member I speak with they all say exactely the same thing. The union agenda is intrenched into them so much that they can not have any thoughts of their own. Union members seem like puppets when it comes to voting. You should vote based on what you think is important to you, you should not be told what is important to you. I think the AFL-CIO is the biggest piece of crap in this country. That is my own opinion, nobody told me to feel that way. As far as Obama, his voting record against gun ownership in Chicago is fact and speaks for itself, everything else is rhetoric. He has consistently voted agaist gun rights his whole, and to be fair short, political career.

Posted by: Robert J | October 30, 2008 10:20 AM    Report this comment

Sure Obama is in favor of gun [limited] ownership, its is the use and possession that he wants to fully restrict. The AFL-CIO is just playing its political game. Anything to advance a Democratic candidate who will work with the unions to increase their wealth and power. It is the money and power.

Posted by: Paulinus | October 30, 2008 9:52 AM    Report this comment

Posted by: wetidlerjr | October 30, 2008 9:22 AM    Report this comment

YOU UNION PEOPLE SHOULD TAKE A COURSE IN BASIC COMMON SENSE 101.
YEARS AGO UNION WERE NEEDED---TODAY I SOMETIME WONDER.
LOOK AT HUSSEIN OBAMA TRACK RECORD ON GUN RIGHTS
2ND AMENDMENT VOTING.
HE WAS AGAINST 5 OF THE NEW JUDGES THAT WERE APPOINTED.
YEA,THIS GUY WILL PROTECT YOUR GUN RIGHTS,JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER COUNTRIES THAT NO LONGER HAVE THEM.

Posted by: ZIG K | October 30, 2008 9:21 AM    Report this comment

The unions in this country have lost their way.
They completly ignore the members actual feelings on just about any issue. The height of their arrogance twoards their members is the continued support of the Democrats, the party
whose President Clinton pushed NAFTA through and thousands of jobs into Mexico.

If people could quit, and keep their jobs they would,rather than support this garbage with their dues.

Posted by: Thomas K | October 30, 2008 9:14 AM    Report this comment

Aren't you Union guys tired of the AFL-CIO lies about just about everything. They promised to take good care of your pension money too. How did that work out for you? Let's think about the promise to protect your jobs from illegal aliens. Doing a fine job there, also. The AFL-CIO is an old whore who only looks at the nightstand for the money and doesn't even look at the John. Obama will do for your gun rights , what Clinton did for Monica's virginity.

Posted by: TBILL | October 28, 2008 2:31 PM    Report this comment