May 22, 2008

Concealed Weapons Now Allowed In Parks, On Public Transportation

Georgians with carry licenses can tote their concealed guns on public transportation, in restaurants that serve alcohol and in state parks under legislation recently signed by Gov. Sonny Perdue.

For two years, the bill prompted a collision of Republican constituencies, as lawmakers debated the rights of gun owners and the ability of landowners to control their property.

The General Assembly passed House Bill 89 in the final hours of the 2008 session. Until then, most of the debate on the measure had concerned a provision to permit employees to keep guns in vehicles parked on corporate parking lots.

Courtesy State of Georgia

Perdue inked the controversial gun bill on the final day for him to sign or veto legislation.

Business interests, who had opposed the bill, say the legislation's language has been watered down to the point that the parking lots issue is no longer a concern.

But when HB 89 made its final appearance before both the House and Senate, language was added that expanded the list of public places where holders of concealed weapons permits could take their guns.

With Perdue's signature, restaurant patrons will be permitted to carry a firearm, but would be barred from drinking while doing so. Violations would be a misdemeanor. Concealed weapons will now be allowed in state and local parks. Guns in purses or under jackets will also be allowed on public transportation.

Finally, someone with some common sense. A law that says this or that place is off limits is a well hidden agenda to make criminals out of law abiding who then can no longer own guns. If you're licensed to carry you should be able to carry, period.

Posted by: Steve823 | May 23, 2008 12:20 PM    Report this comment

Was almost this was never going to be signed by Gov Perdue, due to "big money" contributors; but glad to see a concerted effort by citizens calling governor's office turned the tide!

Posted by: ordnance outsellers | May 23, 2008 8:22 AM    Report this comment

Good to see the law opening up. I have a CCW in Michigan and there is a list of places you cannot carry. Its ridiculous, if you are licensed to carry a gun you should be able to carry it almost anywhere (except courthouse etc.) These exceptions were put into the law by the liberals for appeasement.

Posted by: Robert J | May 23, 2008 6:58 AM    Report this comment

We'll never see it in the People's Republic of Illinois.

Posted by: user425181 | May 22, 2008 10:08 PM    Report this comment

We've had this in Oklahoma since our CCW law passed in 1995. Included, also, are city/county parks, fairgrounds (yes, even during the State Fair), and while hunting or fishing.

Posted by: Marine56 | May 22, 2008 9:42 PM    Report this comment

I Hope other States will follow suite on this. It is very difficult to keep removing my weapon every time I get out of my vehicle to eat or enjoy my grand children in the park.

Posted by: Mortisha | May 22, 2008 5:53 PM    Report this comment

I`d like to think I had a "little" to do with this law.I suggested the idea about carrying in State Parks to my State Rep.(whom I know personally)before the session started.Of course,I`m sure others made the same suggestion.The law goes into effect July 1st (unless it`s challenged as the restaurants have threatened to).

Posted by: aland | May 22, 2008 4:58 PM    Report this comment

Way to go, Georgia! Congratulations.

Posted by: THOMAS Q | May 22, 2008 4:36 PM    Report this comment