September 8, 2009

ATF Arrests 'Straw Purchasers' Who Supplied 37 Guns to California Felons

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A six-month investigation has resulted in the arrest of two "straw purchasers," individuals who falsified information and purchased at least 37 firearms that were subsequently delivered to felons in Colorado Springs and Northern California.

Jerry Dean Jones, 48, and Sanae Quiroz-Jones, 53, both residents of Colorado Springs, Colo., were arrested on Sept. 2, 2009, in Denver.

Two other people, Travis Price, a former resident of Fairfield, Calif., and Wendy Gardiner, a former resident of Colorado Springs, Colo., were also alleged to have conspired to engage and willfully engage in the business of dealing firearms without a license.

'Straw Purchasers'

Price, 33, is currently in state prison in Taft, Calif., on state felony violations. Federal charges will be pursued based upon the complaint and warrant issued.

Gardiner, 32, is wanted and currently a fugitive from justice.

To date, 12 of the 37 firearms have been recovered in criminal investigations throughout the San Francisco Bay area.

"Straw purchasers are responsible for illegal diversion of guns. Many of these firearms ended up in the hands of criminals and used in violent crimes," said ATF's Acting Special Agent in Charge Michael Gleysteen. "We must stop the flow of guns from legal commerce to the criminals."

"No matter where one might fall in the debate over gun control, there is little dispute that firearms must not end up in the hands of convicted felons," said United States Attorney Lawrence Brown.

An Important Note for GunReports.Com Readers:

Our goal on this website is to foster a free expression of views while reining in language that crosses the line of civil discourse. Accordingly, the comments areas are intended to expand the knowledge of all users of this site. But site administrators wish to discourage the use of profanity, insults, disrespect, the advocacy of lawlessness, violence or sedition, or attempts to impinge on the rights of others.

While GunReports.Com encourages robust discourse that furthers our understanding of all the issues affecting gun owners, comments that break GunReports.Com’s rules will be removed. In addition, we reserve the right to edit or delete individual comments, and in extreme cases, to ban commenters at our discretion.

--Tim Cole
Publisher, GunReports.Com

HOOOOOOOOOORAAAAAAAAAH! Semper Fi.

Posted by: Sharps | September 17, 2009 10:44 PM    Report this comment

I agree with your concept Sharps, but sovereignity for all states with a loose confederation is even better..........

Posted by: Tim C | September 17, 2009 8:55 PM    Report this comment

Tim C,
My acquaintances at ATF owe you a beer or two. They agree that every thing the government does has a built in malfunction. In the United "States" We Trust!!! Keep up the good work. Sovereignty for Texas is just a start

Posted by: Sharps | September 17, 2009 1:33 PM    Report this comment

GAviota, I should also state I have seen some of the Internet rumors about the Sheriffs being the only viable law enforcement. This is reminiscent of POSSE COMMITATUS, which only recognizes City and County Government. They, by definition do not recognize anyone in State or Federal Government. Therefore, their interests are served by this type of Internet publication. The actual Law Enforcer in any state is by State Constitution Since the US Constitution only names the US Attorney General, an appointed position.

Posted by: Tim C | September 17, 2009 12:16 PM    Report this comment

Gaviota, if you're ever in Birmingham let me know and we'll kill some beer in self defense. I'm in the book as Tim and Donna Crowe

Posted by: Tim C | September 17, 2009 12:05 PM    Report this comment

The only law that will clearly be enforced is Marshall Law. All others are open to Supreme Court malfunction.

Posted by: Sharps | September 17, 2009 10:48 AM    Report this comment

This is great, Tim. I've copied your comments to a file so that I can refer to it while I'm researching Arkansas law and constitution. I appreciate your clear and comprehensive response.

Thanks very much,

Posted by: Lee W | September 14, 2009 4:45 PM    Report this comment

Also, as an addendum, any State attorney General who is elected is an elected Law enforcement Officer unless his state constitution states otherwise

Posted by: Tim C | September 14, 2009 2:25 PM    Report this comment

Well,GAviota, in Alabama The State Constitution specifically names the District Attorney of each Judicial Circuit as the Main Law Enforcement officer of each Judicial Circuit. In Alabama, they outrank the State Attorney General in that regard. I have experience with other states (Gulf Coast)that are configured the same way. I know the State of New York has great power given to the states' Attorney General. MOST states will defer to a County Sheriff as regards local prosecution, but it really depends on the ndividual State Constitution as to "who's in charge". As a note on this, and speaking of ATF, they called and requested assistance on a raid of automastic knives throughout the Birmingham area. (I.E., let's screw with some businessmen). My then Lieutenant told me in confidence he felt this was BS, and I agreed with him and suggested we call the D.A. He did, and the D.A. told us to tell ATF we would go along so we could testify against them in state court. The raid was cancelled. Thanks to the D.A.s here, there will be no gun seizures except from violent felons. There will be NO Fed seizures at all, not successful ones anyway. I truly belive this is the case in many parts of the country where police and D.A.'s have a little spine. It is my opinion, being able to read the constitution as a citzen and not a power hungry lawyer/ploitician that all State law enforcement is more powerful than the Feds by statute. The FBI was not armed until prohibition, and special legislation ad to granted for that. If you read the constitution, laws like RICCO and Interstate Flight are just plain unconstitutional, Period. So, once again, each state names their law enforcement heirarchy. New Jersey ies the only state I know with a constitutional amendment to name local police as the prime enforcers, but in my opinion, local law enforcement always trump Feds in state court. I hope I haven't overly confused you with my tirade, Gaviota.

Posted by: Tim C | September 13, 2009 11:08 PM    Report this comment

Tim, there is an internet rumor going around on numerous gun sites to the effect that, because a county sheriff is the only elected law enforcement official in the land, he outranks all other law enforcement officers and agents. Have you heard of this? In your opinion, is there any case law or even anecdotal evidence to back this up? How does your agency handle these matters?

This is a matter of intense interest to me. I'd really like to hear your take.

Posted by: Lee W | September 13, 2009 5:06 PM    Report this comment

Thanks, Jeff. It is what it is. I am not speaking out of school. The agents here in Birmingham know my feelings. I have said this to their faces. They have one smart ass (or had one) that prompted my feeling to be verblized one day. He was astounded when I wouldn't back off. "Hey, I'm Federal. You Have to work with us." I reminded him I was State and DID NOT HAVE to do a damn thing except pay taxes and die.

Posted by: Tim C | September 13, 2009 3:19 PM    Report this comment

Tim, I would suggest you are qualified to make that statement without any expectation of receiving negative feedback. I like the fact that you noted the shortcomings of the ATF.

Posted by: JWallace | September 11, 2009 10:27 PM    Report this comment

Maybe the gun owners in CA need to stand up and voice their rights more, it seems to work for the gays there. Can I say gay? Is genderly challenged more appropriate?

Posted by: Robert J | September 11, 2009 7:09 AM    Report this comment

You must remember, I am in Law Enforcement for 34 years, so temper my remarks with that. ATF is a worse than useless agency. They have been deployed as political arm twisters since the Clinton days. If I said they were incompetent, I'd be overly kind. Any one remember Ruby Ridge? Waco Texas ? All gems of ATF genius. They are the remnants of Elliot Ness' alcohol Police and they OUGHT to be deployed in Narcotics/Fugitives, or going after REAL bad guys. But remember, I am career Law Enf, so if I seem biased toward them, you must forgive me

Posted by: Tim C | September 10, 2009 4:26 PM    Report this comment

pa-cman with you comments concerning CA you disrespect a large number of gun owning, law abiding citizens and bring nothing to the dialog.
Remember, only the law abiding citizens answer the 4473 questions honestly. Bad guys (and gals) don't, that's why they are called bad guys.

Posted by: MasterGuide | September 10, 2009 11:51 AM    Report this comment

and yet california has the strictess gun control laws on the book. yeah looks like that program works. hope you all burn off and fall into the ocean. take diane feinstein and fraulein pelosi with you

Posted by: pa-cman | September 10, 2009 10:35 AM    Report this comment

Posted by: pa-cman | September 10, 2009 10:35 AM    Report this comment

Posted by: pa-cman | September 10, 2009 10:35 AM    Report this comment

Thanks for the information. I thought by you posting the information, you had saved me some time researching but all you did was intrigue me even more.

Posted by: JWallace | September 9, 2009 9:41 PM    Report this comment

Well, I was wrong. She didn't die.

At 4:30 a.m. on Wednesday July 13, 1994, a team of four BATF agents executed a no-knock search warrant on the home of Monique Montgomery of 1268 Woody Grove in unincorporated west St. Louis county, near the city of Creve Coeur. She awoke from deep sleep with four masked men in her bedroom screaming at her. She picked up her legally-owned 9mm handgun from the nightstand, and was promptly shot four times.

No illegal guns or drugs were found.

Posted by: Lee W | September 9, 2009 5:12 PM    Report this comment

I sense a rowdy racist drunken party in the near future when they celebrate their great investigative work. I didn't hear about shooting to death innocent women in their beds. I'll have to do some research on the subject.

Posted by: JWallace | September 8, 2009 11:36 PM    Report this comment

Whoa! After countless stories about the BATFEces shutting down thousands of Mom & Pop gun stores for minor record-keeping errors, lying under oath in thousands of court cases, putting innocent men in prison, shooting to death innocent women in their beds, conducting rowdy, racist, drunken parties, confiscating and stealing firearms from people in disaster areas who desperately need them, and stomping on family pets, we finally see what the BATFEces have done with the hundreds of millions of dollars in their budgets. Arrested 37 criminals. Gee, that must come to about 600 million dollars per criminal over the last 37 years.

Goddamn right, I'm bitter.

Posted by: Lee W | September 8, 2009 9:23 PM    Report this comment