January 4, 2010

Big Compton Donor Drops Off 58 Guns, Gets Coupons

LOS ANGELES--The L.A. Times reports that a man pulled up in an SUV with 58 guns at an L.A. County Sheriff's "gift for guns" program in Compton.

Deputies said that most of the 58 guns were small handguns. As is the policy for such events, the deputies asked no questions and eagerly took the guns. "After unloading his weapons, the man received several thousands of dollars in supermarket coupons and drove away," the newspaper reported.

"That should feed someone for a year or two," said Lt. Anthony Lucia. "There were a lot of the kind of weapons used in robberies. We don't know his identity. We don't know if he is gun dealer or what. But that is 58 guns off the street."

The Compton exchange Tuesday garnered 232 guns, all of which will be destroyed. Countywide, the program has taken 5,000 guns off the streets throughout L.A. County. At the Santa Clarita station earlier this year, one person dropped off a 20mm artillery shell and another person left 11 guns, including a Thompson .45-caliber submachine gun, an SKS assault rifle and an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle.

Just the fact of destroying a perfectly good gun for no apparent reason makes my head spin. What a waste of time, money, and guns.

Posted by: Robert J | January 14, 2010 1:46 PM    Report this comment

Great ideas goat! Thanks for sharing. Hopefully, my area never follows suit. What really bothers me is the destruction of potential evidence which somebody else already pointed out.

Posted by: PVB | January 14, 2010 11:01 AM    Report this comment

I know of a couple of approaches to ambushing "gun buyback" programs....

A gun-rights organization in Illinois is asking its members to hold onto any junk, inoperable guns. Then, of course, when some kind of "gun-buyback" program begins, the junk
guns will be turned in - after all, these programs are "no questions asked" - in order to drain the available buyback money.

A gun-dealer acquaintance of mine set up a table outside the location where a gun buyback was occurring, offering to pay $5 more for a gun than the buyback was offering. He told me that while most of the guns were junk (and he had passed on those), he scored three quality guns, which he then resold.

Posted by: pbs_goat | January 14, 2010 10:55 AM    Report this comment

Great point on Soros! I have never been a fan. He's worse than Bloomberg and has vast tentacles.

Along with him, I would think that the CEO's of the "too big to fail" economic titans are also beefing up security. Given their greed and culpability in this quagmire, I would imagine the armored limo and security guard businesses are seeing some gains.

Posted by: PVB | January 12, 2010 5:49 PM    Report this comment

The great English philosopher Douglas Adams opined that the purpose of the Head of State is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it. Fits "O" to a "T".

Speaking of power in politics, I'm surprised that the Islamofascist terrorists don't have a bodyguard around George Soros. If something happened to him, half the liberal activist groups in this country would fold overnight.

Posted by: Lee W | January 12, 2010 5:23 PM    Report this comment

Checks and balances have pretty much been done away with over the last year, I think, if we don't have elections this year, we will have a dictatorship, but I don't really see "O" as being the one, he's just a pawn, it will be someone else.

Posted by: Vernon R | January 12, 2010 7:59 AM    Report this comment

Gaviota, I remember how my dad was also, probably why I'm still alive. In fact my wife would tease me back when we were first married because I could bench press 405 lbs. and still be afraid of my dad. Without checks and balances people will run wild.

Posted by: Robert J | January 12, 2010 7:38 AM    Report this comment

Behind closed doors means the politicos are up to no good, I doubt their parents would even claim them.

Posted by: Vernon R | January 11, 2010 7:16 PM    Report this comment

I don't exactly remember how I was with whiskey and car keys, but I sure as hell remember how my parents were. Too bad our politicians don't have parents who can step in immediately, because politicos manage to do a whole lot of damage between the election cycles, don't they?

Posted by: Lee W | January 11, 2010 5:47 PM    Report this comment

That's scary, because I can remember how I was with whiskey and car keys as a teenage boy. This country is in big trouble!

Posted by: Robert J | January 11, 2010 7:23 AM    Report this comment

Ain't it the truth, Vernon.

"Giving money and power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."

Posted by: Lee W | January 10, 2010 6:14 PM    Report this comment

The desire of the Clinton administration was to;"divide and conquer", this administration wants to; "finish the job".
Beats me why there are people who think they have a destiny to rule over everyone else, they do everything they can to turn people against each other to satisfy their evil ideas, there is a sickness to power that thankfully there are only a few who secume to it, but they sure cause a lot of misery for a lot of people when they get in power.

Posted by: Vernon R | January 10, 2010 6:01 PM    Report this comment

Firstsoldier: Charles is a friend of mine. My "demand" was comical, and Charles took it that way. Thank you for your concern, but your intervention is not warranted. The next time you decide to jump into the middle of an ongoing thread, I recommend doing it with courtesy and civility, without the abuse, lest thou be mistaken for a troll. With all due respect,

Posted by: Lee W | January 10, 2010 5:53 PM    Report this comment

Fella’s, the last thing we need in this great country is a division of our patriots, which I believe you all are. Such division only helps the “death to America” crowd running our country these days. Let’s concentrate our comments toward the article in question and use the forum to educate and support each other in this fight. I’ve learned a lot from your comments. I for one, wish that I had the knowledge, experience and ability to articulate, that many of you have. I’d run for office and try to save us all. Godspeed!

Posted by: gunsdontkill | January 10, 2010 9:29 AM    Report this comment

Hey Gav, where the hell do you get off demanding anything from anybody? Who died and made you god? Methinks you might have a little too much time on your hands, grow up and get a job.

Posted by: firstsoldier | January 10, 2010 5:16 AM    Report this comment

Posted by: firstsoldier | January 10, 2010 5:16 AM    Report this comment

Not a problem Lee.

Posted by: Vernon R | January 9, 2010 9:19 PM    Report this comment

"The MSM likes the idea of; "information is power", but they like even better; "misinformation is more power"."

Vernon, I'm gonna nick that line from you. It's brilliant.

Posted by: Lee W | January 9, 2010 7:47 PM    Report this comment

The MSM likes the idea of; "information is power", but they like even better; "misinformation is more power". Those who oppose the rights of Americans to "own" firearms, would be the first to scream bloodie murder if someone came after them with a gun and no one around them could help them. It's their poor choice or they are the ones who want the playing field to be void of guns, except theirs.

Posted by: Vernon R | January 8, 2010 7:34 PM    Report this comment

Charles & Robert, youse guys' sense of humor is sicker than mine! Good job, me boyos.

Posted by: Lee W | January 8, 2010 1:04 PM    Report this comment

Gaviota, I like using the pet name "snubbie" for mine. Yeah, I'm talking about my gun sicko!

Posted by: Robert J | January 8, 2010 12:51 PM    Report this comment

Gav, just for you buddy, I'll make it a point to use the phrase SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIAL every time I post. Happy New Year!

Posted by: Dulrug | January 8, 2010 10:08 AM    Report this comment

Gun Reports readers all know this is a ridiculous program, but just in case you didn't string this together with the article on CCW permitee information being publicized:
(Hypothetically, of course.)

I get my permit, and the media publishes my CCW information. A lawless thug observes my home and strikes while I'm away. Said thug then uses weapons I lawfully purchased in the commission of a crime, and cheerfully goes to the police to turn get the guns off the street. His loyalty to the general public is rewarded financially, rather than imprisonment.

In the process, the police destroy my legal possessions, which are now also evidence in multiple crimes. I get no remuneration and the DA will have a tough time building any case without the "smoking gun" thanks to a liberal.

Since law enforcement and government have a sworn public duty, are they now accessories after the fact in my hypothetical scenario?

Posted by: PVB | January 7, 2010 9:01 PM    Report this comment

The gang upgraded their arsenal and got a government rebate.

Posted by: Mister E | January 7, 2010 8:19 PM    Report this comment

Sounds like many of them were Sat. night specials ("There were a lot of the kind of weapons used in robberies") so probably no great loss there. But a Thompson, and an AR-15, that's a whole different matter.

Posted by: Dulrug | January 7, 2010 8:15 PM    Report this comment

This is great. Now they can break in and steal guns from homes and then take them right to the police department and get paid. No fence to pay, No ID required. Much safer. Another stupid feel good program.

Posted by: MikeK | January 7, 2010 6:06 PM    Report this comment

I'll guess that either the economy in CA is getting so bad that even the crooks can't make money anymore, or these guns belonged to other people. Shouldn't the police try to match collected guns with robbery reports?

Posted by: Mister E | January 7, 2010 1:08 PM    Report this comment

"That should feed someone for a year or two," said Lt. Anthony Lucia.

Or maybe it will "provide increased educational funding for at risk, inner-city youth," or maybe the money could be used to "start up an after school daycare program for latchkey kids," or maybe "provide much-needed funds to repair a leaky roof for an elderly Compton resident," or maybe...

See, Anthony! I can shovel the verbal BS with the best of you victim-disarmament espousing, PR hacks.

Posted by: RackEmPunk | January 7, 2010 11:20 AM    Report this comment

Gav - journalists are no longer that; they are now entertainers (but you know that already.) I think we should stop referring to media information as "News" and call it corporate hyperbole.

David - great point!

Posted by: PVB | January 7, 2010 10:30 AM    Report this comment

What a way to get rid of evidence, sell it to the police who destroys it for you. How many of those guns were either stolen or used as murder weapons and now the evidence tying anyone to a crime is gone.

Posted by: david c | January 7, 2010 9:24 AM    Report this comment