July 19, 2018

Which Window Stickers Scream 'Gun Inside' to Car Burglars?

Sergeant T. Parkerson of the Houston Police Department recently passed along some advice about reducing the risk of your vehicle being broken into by burglars.

car window stickers

Sergeant Parkerson posted on the Nextdoor.com app (may require log in), "Burglary of Motor Vehicle suspects were recently caught breaking into vehicles in what they considered to be an upper-scale apartment complex. Their objective was to locate and steal guns from vehicles they identified on the property. Their method for choosing which vehicles they would break into was to simply locate any vehicle on the property that had some form of Law Enforcement, Fire Department, or Military-style decal on it. From their experience, they [the suspects] have learned that these vehicles would have a higher probability of having a weapon in it that they could then steal."

A word to the wise. — Todd Woodard, Editor, Gun Tests Magazine

A window sticker supporting our 2nd amendment is like open carry. It makes us a target. Stay low and be there when you are needed.

Posted by: rrunnels | July 20, 2018 7:56 PM    Report this comment

BMW = break my window !!! No identifying stickers on car !!!! DMD

Posted by: DMD | July 20, 2018 3:42 PM    Report this comment

I thank if you are dumb enough to leave something of value like a firearm you deserve to get it taken.

Posted by: Idaho | July 20, 2018 2:17 PM    Report this comment

Lived in Texas for the first 62 years of life and had a friend that had the best deterrent possible. He was FOND of Diamondback Rattlers and other lesser know venomous critters and advertised same with a stuffed diamond in the rear window. Visits to his office for the first time was always a treat for his secretary since he kept 15-20 LIVE venomous snakes in his office in glass aquariums with screen wire tops and how she reacted to the fright of the visitor was at times hilarious. Kind of caught me off guard on my first visit but then I had been to his home a few weeks before to see live critters making corners of his living room nesting spots.

Posted by: Carl Casino | July 20, 2018 1:06 PM    Report this comment

I never leave anything in my car that has value. We have a weekly police report in the paper and you would not believe the number of smash and grabs that involve guns, wallets, purses, check books, backpacks and the list goes on. One area is so bad that a co-worker leaves his car unlocked just so he doesn't have to keep buying glass.

Posted by: erlyirn | July 20, 2018 12:52 PM    Report this comment

I don't care, I poke them in the eye every chance I get. My guns are in a vault if left in the vehicles. Alarms on them as well. More often than not, the gun is with me.

Posted by: Deadeye Magoo | July 20, 2018 12:05 PM    Report this comment

Out here in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, having an NRA or CRPA sticker on your car is a good way to get it keyed.

Posted by: rr750 | July 20, 2018 11:30 AM    Report this comment

I really hope some scumball follows me home and comes back to burglarize my house. It would save me having to feed my male (200 pound) and female (185 pound) tosa Inus that day. They don't like uninvited strangers, and watch invited people for any breach of friendly conduct. Sure my insurance is higher, but cheaper than alarms systems that don't stop a burglary, and I sure do sleep sound. If some one gets in their screams will wake me. My Tosas do not bark, they just wait to see what is going on and act on the facts.

Posted by: missourisam | July 20, 2018 11:01 AM    Report this comment

Pretty much anything that might intimate that a vehicle owner is firearms-friendly isn't good today. Not only is it an invitation to thieves, but an excuse for cops in unfriendly jurisdictions to stop you, and search your vehicle (or try to) -- which, if they were to find a gun, could land you in prison in some states.

Posted by: Bisley | July 20, 2018 10:20 AM    Report this comment

In San Antonio a few years ago we had a group that were checking vehicles with NRA, Texas Rifle Assn. and other stickers in the parking lots of grocery stores. When so identified, they would follow the vehicle home and set up plans to burgle the home later,
assuming a gun collection was inside.
It's a shame we can't visually support some of our favorite organizations . But it is what it is. Thanks for including this story to your other great efforts. Also, thanks for your article on gun insurance. It caused me to review my plan and make some significant upgrades.

Quisto

Posted by: basil karcher | July 20, 2018 9:43 AM    Report this comment

? Maybe a BERNIE sticker would convince them that you have no guns? The NRA sticker has long been considered an attractant. I had one on my old Ranchero-in the '80's, got broke into and I lost a Llama 45. I got away from the sticker ideology- political personal or whatever kind. If it ain't required by the state or Toll Tag-or gets me my car wash done...

Posted by: Fatboy46 | July 20, 2018 9:38 AM    Report this comment

That's odd, over the years it's been four times that our vehicle WASN'T hit along with others along Appalachian Trail parking lots.
I believe the "Glock" vinyl sticker on the window made them question the possibility of facing me in that lot.

We also noticed that those vehicles hit had the caps off their power ports, and figured the creeps thought a GPS or laptop may be inside.

Posted by: cerberus1 | July 20, 2018 9:21 AM    Report this comment

I'm sure the NRA sticker or any other gun club, shooting range or association sticker would draw attention.

Posted by: gun_nut | July 20, 2018 9:18 AM    Report this comment

How about NRA and other gun type stickers? I have some of these on my pickup and
never gave much thought that I'm advertising I might have a gun inside.

Posted by: Podman | July 20, 2018 9:06 AM    Report this comment