May 22, 2008

Ted Nugent Could Be The NRA's Rambunctious New Charlton Heston

The LA Times recently speculated that rocker Ted Nugent is prepared to replace Charlton Heston as popular culture's most outspoken proponent of the 2nd Amendment.

In fact, he debuted his new song, "I Am the NRA," this past weekend at the 2008 NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits convention in Louisville, Ky.

The Times wrote, “An iconoclast who lives the defiant, gun-toting lifestyle he espouses, Nugent makes his home on a ranch in Crawford, Texas, is a sheriff's deputy in Michigan and carries a concealed Glock Model 20 everywhere -- even into the recording studio.”

Courtesy TedNugent.com

Though Nugent has not sought the presidency of the NRA (the next election is in 2009), he believes that "right now, if you literally took a membership vote of the NRA and said who would you like to be president, you're talking to the guy that would win."

"I'm a ranching guy. I'm a hunting guy," he says. "I'm Natty Bumppo meets Daniel Boone. This is how I live. . . . I don't tremble and I don't back off. . . ."

Nugent routinely plays at the NRA annual convention and says he is in the "heyday" of his career, performing concerts, writing bestselling books and starring in multiple reality TV shows.

Personally I think this would be a GREAT move for not just the NRA but for gun owners and sportsmen everywhere. Despite his outspokeness and flamboyance he is a VERY articulate and very intelligent individual who believes passionately in freedom in general not just an individuals freedom to own guns. In his own way he is as much an icon as Charlton Heston and would be an excellent choice to lead the NRA. LIke the comment above said, I wish he were running for president of the US!

Posted by: Clark W | June 11, 2008 11:44 AM    Report this comment

Wow what a great idea Ted has my vote To heck with diplomacy If we relied on Diplomacy we would either be British subjects or speaking German or Russian now Fait heart never won "nuthin"

Posted by: Les B | May 24, 2008 11:00 PM    Report this comment

I'm all for Ted. I think he could reach a young audience that we need to reach and haven't been reaching.

Clyde B.

Posted by: Bigboomer | May 23, 2008 9:25 PM    Report this comment

We need T-Shirts: Nuge '08

Posted by: THOMAS Q | May 23, 2008 9:27 AM    Report this comment

President of the NRA? I wish he were running for President of the USA!

Posted by: SWillis | May 23, 2008 9:04 AM    Report this comment

It may well be the case that past NRA Presidents have been too composed, too diplomatic, too restrained and too willing to listen to the other side.

Maybe Ted is exactly what we need to give NRA Membership the aggressive boost it so sorely needs. Only about 4 of every 100 gun owners is currently an NRA Member. To be satisfied with holding onto just 4% of all gun owners as NRA Members, we're selling ourselves short.

Ted will say it as he sees it and the media's camera and microphone would be constantly in his face. I think Ted would be a perfect NRA President and could actually double NRA membership to 8% of all gun owners. A ton of gun owners would join the NRA that Ted Nugent would portray on television and radio. Ted would sex-up the National Rifle Association and not be so demure and composed all the time. I think it would be refreshing!

Marc
www.SaveTheGuns.com
NRA Certified Firearm Instructor
NRA Life Member
NRA Membership Recruiter
(244 members and counting)

Posted by: SaveTheGuns.com | May 23, 2008 8:45 AM    Report this comment

Ted can't be articulate? I've heard him several times on radio talk shows and have found him incredibly articulate with a very sharp mind.

Posted by: THOMAS Q | May 23, 2008 8:33 AM    Report this comment

Our focus should be on winning the gun control debate in the minds of non-gun owners. To do that, we need leaders who can be articulate and resolute without becoming confrontational. Heston could do it. Nugent can't.

Posted by: Rod K | May 23, 2008 8:27 AM    Report this comment

Taking a hard stand is what it has to be all about, there is no negotiating with our rights and Freedom.
If Ted is willing to fight the fight, I stand with him.

Posted by: rage7460 | May 23, 2008 7:56 AM    Report this comment

Every one of our rights that are gone or emasculated, have been given away by being "diplomatic" and "restrained". We don't need an NRA leadership that backpedals and compromises away our freedoms - we NEED someone like Ted!!!

Posted by: obssd | May 23, 2008 1:21 AM    Report this comment

Diplomacy and composure are necessary for a President of the NRA. WE love you Ted- but
you never learned to hold back. Your too
Nuge!

Posted by: gobs1 | May 22, 2008 10:07 PM    Report this comment

I think Ted's enthusiasm and passion will represent the NRA in ways we've never before had.
Diplomacy and restraint won't get us anywhere in today's political climate.

Posted by: THOMAS Q | May 22, 2008 9:13 PM    Report this comment

I think the NRA president needs to be diplomatic and capable of restraint, neither of which Ted is capable of.

Posted by: KURT L. H | May 22, 2008 8:25 PM    Report this comment

Yeah.....I think the Nuge is a fine candidate
for the presidency of the NRA. He can put our
message out there in a way that hasn't been done before.

Posted by: canovack | May 22, 2008 8:15 PM    Report this comment

Yeah.....I think the Nuge is a fine candidate
for the presidency of the NRA. He can put our
message out there in a way that hasn't been done before.

Posted by: canovack | May 22, 2008 8:15 PM    Report this comment

NOT A MORE QUALIFIED MAN OR WOMAN FOR THE JOB, HE WILL GET MY VOTE.

Posted by: KOW | May 22, 2008 5:51 PM    Report this comment

Amen! Saw him Saturday in Louisville at the meetings.

Posted by: aland | May 22, 2008 4:49 PM    Report this comment

Amen! Saw him Saturday in Louisville at the meetings.

Posted by: aland | May 22, 2008 4:48 PM    Report this comment

Man, I can't think of anyone I'd rather see as the NRA's main spokesperson.
LOVE the Nuge!