Hey, at Gun Tests, we like our politicians to like guns. We don’t dig pols who want to restrict 2nd Amendment rights, aka infringe on what shall not be infringed. But we are aware that many voters hate guns and hate the people who enjoy them — us — and the gun haters are happy to make us pay more in fees and licenses, restrict our ability to buy or trade firearms, and, if needed, throw us in jail for violating their edicts. So, it is worth publishing information that allows Gun Tests readers to assess whether a politician is pro-2nd Amendment rights or not. The following information is largely cut and pasted from Joe Biden’s website, JoeBiden.com, and sits under the headline, “The Biden Plan To End Our Gun Violence Epidemic.” I haven’t changed any internal language. It’s edited only for length. If Joe Biden and Kamala Harris win the presidential/vice presidential election next month, we can expect most or all of the things below to occur.
Joe Biden has taken on the National Rifle Association (NRA) on the national stage and won — twice. In 1993, he shepherded through Congress the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, which established the background check system that has since kept more than 3 million firearms out of dangerous hands. In 1994, Biden … secured the passage of 10-year bans on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. As president, Joe Biden will defeat the NRA again.
It’s within our grasp to end our gun violence epidemic and respect the Second Amendment, which is limited.… Biden will:
- Hold gun manufacturers accountable. In 2005, then-Senator Biden voted against the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, but gun manufacturers successfully lobbied Congress to secure its passage. This law protects these manufacturers from being held civilly liable for their products – a protection granted to no other industry. Biden will prioritize repealing this protection.
- Ban the manufacture and sale of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. Federal law prevents hunters from hunting migratory game birds with more than three shells in their shotgun. That means our federal law does more to protect ducks than children. It’s wrong. Joe Biden will enact legislation to once again ban assault weapons…
- Regulate possession of existing assault weapons under the National Firearms Act. Buy back the assault weapons and high-capacity magazines already in our communities. Biden will also institute a program to buy back weapons of war currently on our streets. This will give individuals who now possess assault weapons or high-capacity magazines two options: sell the weapons to the government, or register them under the National Firearms Act.
- Reduce stockpiling of weapons. In order to reduce the stockpiling of firearms, Biden supports legislation restricting the number of firearms an individual may purchase per month to one.
- Require background checks for all gun sales.
- Reinstate the Obama-Biden policy to keep guns out of the hands of certain people unable to manage their affairs for mental reasons, which President Trump reversed.
- Close the “hate crime loophole.” Biden will enact legislation prohibiting an individual “who has been convicted of a misdemeanor hate crime, or received an enhanced sentence for a misdemeanor because of hate or bias in its commission” from purchasing or possessing a firearm.
- Close the “Charleston loophole.” The Charleston loophole allows people to complete a firearms purchase if their background check is not completed within three business days.
- End the online sale of firearms and ammunitions. Biden will enact legislation to prohibit all online sales of firearms, ammunition, kits, and gun parts.
- Create an effective program to ensure individuals who become prohibited from possessing firearms relinquish their weapons.
- Incentivize state “extreme risk” laws.
- Give states incentives to set up gun licensing programs. Biden will enact legislation to give states and local governments grants to require individuals to obtain a license prior to purchasing a gun.
- Adequately fund the background check system. As president, Biden will continue to prioritize that funding and ensure that the FBI is adequately funded to accurately and efficiently handle the NICS system.
- The Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2019, which Leader McConnell refuses to bring to the floor for a vote, includes a number of reforms to keep firearms out of the hands of abusers. Biden will enact legislation to close the so-called “boyfriend loophole” and “stalking loophole” by prohibiting all individuals convicted of assault, battery, or stalking from purchasing or possessing firearms, regardless of their connection to the victim. This proposal is modeled after existing laws in California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Nevada, New York, and Pennsylvania. Biden also supports enacting the proposal to prohibit anyone under a temporary restraining order from purchasing or possessing a firearm before their hearing.
- Expand the use of evidence-based lethality assessments by law enforcement in cases of domestic violence. Make sure firearm owners take on the responsibility of ensuring their weapons are used safely.
- Put America on the path to ensuring that 100% of firearms sold in America are smart guns. Today, we have the technology to allow only authorized users to fire a gun. For example, existing smart gun technology requires a fingerprint match before use. Biden believes we should work to eventually require that 100% of firearms sold in the U.S. are smart guns.
- Hold adults accountable for giving minors access to firearms. Biden supports legislation holding adults criminally and civilly liable for directly or negligently giving a minor access to a firearm, regardless of whether the minor actually gains possession of the firearm.
- Require gun owners to safely store their weapons. Biden will pass legislation requiring firearm owners to store weapons safely in their homes.
- Empower law enforcement to effectively enforce our gun laws.
- Prioritize prosecution of straw purchasers. “Straw purchasers” buy a firearm on behalf of an individual who cannot pass a background check. Biden will end those loopholes by enacting a law to make all straw purchases a serious federal crime and ensure the U.S. Justice Department has sufficient resources to prioritize their prosecution.
- Notify law enforcement when a potential firearms purchaser fails a background check.
- Require firearms owners to report if their weapon is lost or stolen. Responsible gun owners have a responsibility to inform law enforcement if their weapon is lost or stolen. Biden will enact legislation to make this the law of the land.
- Stop “ghost guns.” One way people who cannot legally obtain a gun may gain access to a weapon is by assembling a one on their own, either by buying a kit of disassembled gun parts or 3D printing a working firearm. Biden will stop the proliferation of these so-called “ghost guns” by passing legislation requiring that purchasers of gun kits or 3D printing code pass a federal background check. Additionally, Biden will ensure that the authority for firearms exports stays with the State Department, and if needed reverse a proposed rule by President Trump. This will ensure the State Department continues to block the code used to 3D print firearms from being made available on the Internet.
- Reform, fund, and empower the U.S. Justice Department to enforce our gun laws. Biden will direct his Attorney General to deliver to him within his first 100 days a set of recommendations for restructuring the ATF and related Justice Department agencies to most effectively enforce our gun laws.
- Direct the ATF to issue an annual report on firearms trafficking. This report will provide officials with critical information to better identify strategies for curbing firearms trafficking.
- Prohibit the use of federal funds to arm or train educators to discharge firearms. Biden supports barring states from using federal dollars to arm or train educators to discharge firearms.
A lot of those policies are currently in place in CA.
The biggest drag is the manufacturers don’t want to spend $$ for all their products to comply with the state’s drop testing so our Approved List keeps getting shorter. Plus we get the 10 round limit so buy another couple of mags. Just one handgun/month, too unless its through a Private Party.
There Should be background checks, no ‘straw’ sales, no ghost guns, and owners should report lost and stolen firearms. Too people don’t store guns safely and many children die from ‘accidents’ that could be avoided.
There is a responsibility for owning a lethal weapon. You need to be safe, competent, and have a clear mind.
I think many of these are totally reasonable, actually.
Give them an inch and soon, your 2A will not only be infringed, it will be gone. Think Germany, 1930s. None of this stops criminals. Just ask Chitcongo or your favorite Dem slum.
Don’t be stupid sheep.
The dems do not give a rats patoot about saving lives. If they did we would all have breathalizers on our cars and eliminate 10,000 drunk driving deaths every year i.e.smart guns, smart cars. If they cared about saving children, they would not vehemently promote the death of nearly 1 million innocent babies every year. No, their sole purpose is to negate the 2nd amendment and disarm America, making criminals out of law abiding citizens, so that they can fundamentally change the core principles of our country and take us into socialism, without fear of resistance. Which is EXACTLY why the 2nd amendment is there!
You can say people who want reasonable regulation of guns are evil socialists if you want to, but that’s just a way to stir up hate, not reality. Guns don’t kill; people do. And some people really are too dangerous to possess them. And we should not be in denial about the deadly results. That’s reality, not a socialist plot. To just oppose ALL regulation is not sensible. People who love and respect Second Amendment rights should be in on the discussion to find a reasonable balance between safety and rights.
@Ken, you’re missing the reality – in a perfect world, yes many of these items make common sense and no reasonable person would object to them (me included). However, as we have seen in recent times, common sense and reason no longer exist. Democrats (in general) and gun-haters (in particular) cannot be trusted. Would Biden be willing to trade a ban on straw purchases (reasonable) for unrestricted reciprocity for CCW holders? What about agreeing to ban gun sales to those convicted of hate crimes in exchange for acceptance of any legal person to own and operate (with extended magazine capacity) any semi-auto rifle or handgun. Sorry – but Democrats want to ban it all, so as a 2A supporter I have to take the same all-or-nothing approach they do. As the late, great Charlton Heston said, “…from my cold dead hands…”
Some statements above seem reasonable, some don’t. My brother who indirectly died of a mental disease (FTD) had no business owning a gun, I know. Mental disease such as dementia and more are widespread. Besides mental disease, do you know of anyone that is a bad match to for a gun in their hand? Others statements above I’m totally against and others with limitations or certain circumstances would be OK. I will say Gun safety should be a major part of owning a gun, not just defensive shooting, NRA back in the day was big on safety, especially for hunters. People are afraid of middle ground in that it may sway to far either direction. I admit there lies a problem.
I agree with Mike….this isn’t about anyone’s safety…it is a obvious ploy to disarm the citizens of America. How can we be this STUPID?! History repeats itself, and yet no-one seems to remember Hitler and Mussolini among all the others. If you don’t have the backbone to defend your rights, at least don’t interfere with those that do! NONE OF THIS HAS TO DO WITH ANYONE’S SAFETY…GET A CLUE PEOPLE!
Biden wants registration! That is the key. In the end guns will be taken. I agree “Sheeple”