October 22, 2012

Delaware State Police Unit Chooses SIG Sauer SIG516 as Duty Rifle

(GunReports.com) — The Delaware State Police Special Operations Response Team (SORT) has chosen SIG Sauer’s SIG516 as its new duty long arm.

The 5.56mm SIG516 rifle was chosen after an evaluation of accuracy, reliability and durability. The short-stroke gas-piston system of the SIG516 reduces carbon and heat buildup, which leads to enhanced functioning. Delaware State Troopers currently carry SIG Sauer Model P229 pistols in .357 SIG as their approved duty sidearm. Troopers in the First State were the first to adopt the .357 SIG for duty use.

Approximately 40 SORT members are available to respond to hostage incidents, armed barricade situations, high-risk warrant service, dignitary protection and crisis situations throughout the state.

“With the wide selection of AR-platform rifles on the market, we feel the SIG516 stands out for its superior design and operating system,” said Tom Jankiewicz, Director of Operations, Law Enforcement, Government and Military Sales. “We’re honored the Delaware State Police SORT felt the same way.”

Yeah.....Four more years..... I have gun shows this week end and the following week end. I'd guess I'd best be laying in some more ammo and see what other firearms are out there, that I don't already have in my collection. Perhaps I'll think up some new, out of the way places, to stash my stuff, in addition to the pieces that are already languishing in well camouflaged locations.

Posted by: canovack | November 7, 2012 11:09 AM    Report this comment

canovack, surely you know by now, you can believe everything you read in a gun mag or on the internet, right? LOL

Bro O for another 4 years, God help us!

Posted by: ordnance outsellers | November 7, 2012 7:55 AM    Report this comment

I agree with your take on a reworked 9mm barrel, but since I had seen it in one of the many gun magazines I receive each month, I figured I'd toss that idea out there to see what current thinking might be.

Posted by: canovack | November 6, 2012 4:22 PM    Report this comment

Canovack, I wouldn't want a "reworked" 9 barrel for 357 Sig and maybe other than "demand" reasons Beretta doesn't offer it? I'd contact above barrel makers for their input?

Posted by: ordnance outsellers | November 6, 2012 11:03 AM    Report this comment

I checked on the Beretta website, and find no listing for a .357 SIG barrel for the PX4 or any other Beretta pieces. Somewhere along the line, I recall reading about a smith who took a 9x19mm barrel and had the chamber reamed out to chamber the .357 SIG cartridge, but now I can't remember where that was. Perhaps some enterprising smiths in this forum might comment about this.

Posted by: canovack | November 6, 2012 10:32 AM    Report this comment

canovack, I've sold a few of PX4; but not that many; but agree a 357 Sig barrel should work with no other changes, as you suggested. Don't think Barsto makes one; but maybe KKM, Jarvis,etc? Beretta doesn't offer it? For that price point gun and price of ammo, maybe not sufficient demand? Barsto would run nearly half price of gun, if available?

Posted by: ordnance outsellers | November 6, 2012 8:27 AM    Report this comment

I have conversion barrels for most of my SIGs. That said, is there a conversion barrel for the Beretta PX-4 Storm? I have one in .40 S&W, and I have yet to see any barrels for it in .357 SIG. It seems to me that all one would need would be a barrel change, since the magazines and springs would likely work with a .357 SIG barrel.

Posted by: canovack | November 5, 2012 3:25 PM    Report this comment

carnovac, I've sold a lot of Barsto 9mm conversion barrels, as well as all my personal Sigs are 3 caliber guns and no issues at all! I can supply, if interested?

LaserMax makes a great product: but I presonally prefer and sell many more Crimson Trace, as Lasermax, requires 2 hands to operate and you cannot zero for distance with specific load as you can with CT! The exception will be Lasermax Saber for my Glock 23, Gen 4 as it has a master off/on switch like CT do for Sigs; but not Glocks. Plus can change batteries without removing grip on Saber.

Posted by: ordnance outsellers | November 5, 2012 2:21 PM    Report this comment

The reason I asked about recoil springs, is when I purchased a Lasermax guide rod laser for my SIG P229 DAK, they sent me the laser and two recoil springs. One is labelled .357 SIG/.40 S&W, while the other is labelled 9mm.

Posted by: canovack | November 5, 2012 10:58 AM    Report this comment

Canovact,same recoil and other springs, too! Only thing is need to use OEM 9 mags with conversion barrels. If interested google Ordnance Outsellers. While expensive to shoot, the 357 Sig is my favorite round and it's long range accuracy, ballistic performance is why more state police agencies are adopting it, as they're much more likely to need longer range, superior performance than city cops in densely populated areas

Posted by: ordnance outsellers | November 5, 2012 8:55 AM    Report this comment

Our county deputies converted over from 9mm Sigs to either .40 S&W or .357 Sig Glocks. Several who are 'gun-savvy' are able switch back and forth between the two. I'm seriously considering trading in my G19 for a GEN4 G32 if I can find one locally. Most stores around here give you an odd look when you mention the round! Maybe it's the caliber?

Posted by: Tower gunner | November 4, 2012 8:25 PM    Report this comment

That's a very interesting bit of information, ordnance outsellers. I have interchangeable barrels in .357 SIG and .40 S&W for my SIG pistols, and they work fine as a direct exchange. I had often wondered about what it might take to get 9x19 barrels operating in them, but you seem to have answered my question as concerns the need for 9x19 magazines. How about recoil springs? Will the same spring handle .357, .40, and 9mm?

Posted by: canovack | October 25, 2012 1:58 PM    Report this comment

I'm an FFL who sells more Sigs than anything else. When 556 first came out we held a Sigforum shoot with factory rep there and attendee's were welcome to shoot gun all they wanted, provided their own ammo, factory only no handloads! Some of the guys wanted to see if they could make it "choke". Put 5k rounds through it one Saturday with over half being the nasty Wolff ammo. It didn't choke and received no cleaning or lubrication; nor was gas setting adjusted! No DI gun could duplicate!

I buy personal Sigs in 40 or 357 and put in Barsto OEM replacement barrels to shoot both calibers (can be done with OEM, too); plus Barsto 9mm conversion barrel that also permit shooting of 9mm out of same gun with only barrel and OEM mag change, not other parts! Add a 22 kit and it's a 4 caliber gun! I've done same with Glock 23 and waiting for Advanced Armament 22 kit for Gen 4!

Posted by: ordnance outsellers | October 25, 2012 12:30 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: ordnance outsellers | October 25, 2012 12:23 PM    Report this comment

Well, Pointman, it is equally nice to see that you are still among us. As far as I can see there really isn't that much difference between rifles that operate on a system of direct gas impingement and those that operate by way of a piston system. I have rifles with both systems in my collection, in calibers 5.56x45 and 7.62x51. Generally the piston pieces run cleaner than the DGI pieces, but the DGI pieces seem to run cooler than the piston pieces, so it seems to be a matter of trade-offs as to which system best fits one's needs. Personally it makes very little difference to me. I like them both.

Posted by: canovack | October 25, 2012 11:33 AM    Report this comment

Geez Colonel, good to see you again, been along time since Nam or giving your salmon to a brown bear on the Russian River in Alaska. I am probably going to buy this rifle, I have the Sig 556 in rifles and 239 and 210 and Trailside in pistols. I like the gas piston design although direct gas impingement does fine.

Posted by: Pointman | October 25, 2012 10:56 AM    Report this comment

The Texas Department of Public Safety has also adopted the SIG P229 in .357 SIG as the duty sidearm. I don't know about their rifle choices, but I own several SIG Sauer pistols, four of which are in .357 SIG, as well as one each in 9x19mm,.45 ACP, and .22 LR along with a SIG 556 rifle. I consider all of my SIG Sauer firearms as top of the line, reliable, accurate pieces, so I'd say that the Delaware State Police have made a good choice in the SIG 516.

Posted by: canovack | October 23, 2012 12:30 PM    Report this comment